2016 Nanaimo Reports

Anyone know what all the boats are fishing for between snake island and gabriola? Look like seiners but not quite sure.

Love how it's in the RCA. Saw one sporty fishing in it too today and all the boats pulling nets. How come I can't fish there?

Went out for a few hours today, dropped crab traps on the south tip of protection island NOT A. Dropped prawn traps NW of snake island NOT A. the netters were out in full force and there nets were very poorly marked, I saw one boat that looked like it ran into one, and there was dead chum floating everywhere! I'm surprised any of these fish make it into the nanaimo River...

Went out to the fingers to troll around for awhile and managed 5 tiny springs to the boat and a couple LDR's.

Nice day to be on the water!

There must have been 12-16 prawn traps around the fingers, how did you guys do?

How did they do.

Copy & pasted from the gillnetters association

Live update Chum conference call
Nitnat run size 900 000. Egg take achieved (30 milllion plus egg take). Nitnat still terminal for gill net and seines. However there is very little interest in fishing.

Fraser river update. No changes to run size currently it is 2 million.
Area E catch to date 173 000. (total 21 steelhead impacts reported) Area B seine 472 total catch for demo fishery *two boats fished). Troll no success either. No interest in continuing fishing for troll. Total EO fishery catch reported 91 000 as of November 1st.

Johnston Strait update. Test fishery ended October 28th. Total catch 1.3 million fish for all user groups.
Comox update. Escapement Puntledge 59 400. Big Q 93 000. Little Q 17 500 in spawning channel target 40 000. Both Puntledge and Big Q have attained escapement goals.
Catch estimate for 8 to 10 thousand fish.
Fishing plan. Going terminal. Gill nets open until further notice for gill nets. The half mile boundary will be removed
Seine fishing plan for Comox area. Open Saturday and than until further notice. Looks like the gear types will be fishing together.

Nanaimo escapement 70 000 fish. Open till further notice. Catch to date is 85 400 gill net seine 69 635. Wow! Open till further notice.

Cowichan. escapement 176 000 fish.

Gold Stream escapement 5 000
57 000 fish for area E
seine 3000 fish (more reports to come in)
EO fishery 10 000 fish
Fishing plan for Cowichan. Going terminal for gill net and seine opening Friday 7-7
Good luck to everyone

Don't mean to hijack the reports thread but thought all of you Nanaimo fishermen/ladies would like to know about the upcoming Nanaimo fundraising dinner & auction coming up on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2016 at Beban Park (2300 Bowen Road, Nanaimo). If you don't have them already, tickets can be purchased in person at Gone Fishin (2981 North Island Hwy) or by calling 250.210.7011.

This is always a fun event with great auction items and around 300 guests, including lots of informative people from the biological station to chat salmon with. Huge thanks to all of the volunteers who help organize and to the donors for their great auction items and cash sponsorship!

Now, back to fishing...

Attachments

• 2016 Nanaimo Dinner Poster Committee.jpg
    2016 Nanaimo Dinner Poster Committee.jpg
    685.2 KB · Views: 24
Interesting. I was considering going but then the curious side of me kicked in. Are the salaries if there are some published anywhere for the employees of PSF.What percentage goes directly to the environmental cause? Just curious.

Interesting. I was considering going but then the curious side of me kicked in. Are the salaries if there are some published anywhere for the employees of PSF.What percentage goes directly to the environmental cause? Just curious.

I can't believe the comments on this forum sometimes.:rolleyes:

That's OK. It's a fair comment and PSF, like almost all charities, are asked this questions as people/donors rightly want to make sure their support is going to the projects and causes they care about. Our annual magazine doubles as our annual report and we have them posted online here [https://www.psf.ca/about/annual-mag] dating back to 2002 so please have a look over the financial if you'd like more info. We wouldn't be able to do a fraction of the work we do without the support of 1000's of volunteers each year but we do have a staff that has varied between 10-15 people in recent years and we also contract out technical experts/researchers/etc as needed.

We are in a very fortunate and unique situation at PSF in that at least $0.90 from every $1 donated to PSF goes directly to projects and grants. We are able to do this in part because the Pacific Salmon Endowment Fund Society (created by the Government of Canada in 2001) covers the majority of our core operating costs on an annual basis. The other really impressive number is that for every $1 PSF grants through our Community Salmon Program another $7 (on average) is raised at the local level through cash/in-kind contributions. Hope that helps with your inquiry @KV1

Happy to discuss further through personal message or another thread but that's enough here. Now, any fishing reports from Nanaimo lately?

Okay, I have three kids, I'm not gay, (like why does that have to come up?)
Lets talk about fishing.......

Out yesterday many feeders around not quite legal size yet. 165 feet was the magic depth and small spoons with green on them seemed to be the ticket. Cold day out there but was nice by the afternoon.

Got out for a bit today, frost on the boat and dock this morning! Got into some feeders between 165-210 anything green with glow worked best. No keepers for us, all fish were clones at around the 50cm mark.

Back at it today from 8-2:30. Lots of small guys out there, biggest one was 58cm. Glow green spoons at 185 was the ticket but we picked a couple up on a white hoochie and one on a wonder bread spoon. Saw some killer whales way out past the fingers and lost one fish and all my gear to what I would guess was a seal even though I didn't see any around. Fish was on and then line just started spooling until I tighted the drag all the way down, then POP nothing... Managed 130 prawns today after we threw back all the tiny ones and the berried up ones.
20161203_145123.jpg

Prawning and fishing is terrible right now. Worst in twenty years. Please don't post any more pics of west coast prawns.

Back