2016 Nanaimo Reports

tried fishing thrasher rock this evening didn't do very well 1 little shacker! How do most people fish thrasher do you head out way into the deep water or fish close to the rocks?

tried fishing thrasher rock this evening didn't do very well 1 little shacker! How do most people fish thrasher do you head out way into the deep water or fish close to the rocks?

Find the bait, find the fish. Deep water and in shallow along the bottom will both produce.

Usually this time of year more fish in shallow, but this is not an ordinary year. This fishery is usually Tapered off by now but seems to just be getting going lately. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Nice fish LowTide. Everyone seem to promise bigger fish coming in soon...I hope this is the start!

I move a lot to try and find the bait. I can't stand an empty screen on my sounder lol.

Like others posted, you have to experiment with depths. I'm always a deep fisherman this time of year but my son has proved me wrong all the times out on the ECVI this year. He fishes shallow and looks at the sounder constantly. I can't emphasize how important a good sounder is these day's. The price is coming down and they are getting incredibly better over the last few of years.

A lot of members on here will not agree with me but the technology has helped us get on to the fish and we highly recommend the investment. I am constantly looking at the sounder and figuring out how to fish. We have the full blown Chirp and it is incredible!

Agreed with the good sounder and marking fish/bait. I have a new strategy this year. If I pull up to a familiar area I want to fish. I will stop the boat, and without dropping ANY gear, I will do a fast troll around and wait till I mark something (5 minutes)... If I do not see any reasonable amount of bait or any suspended fish marks (salmon). I won't even bother dropping lines... I move! (if water conditions permit). Tried fishing areas that have no action going on over the years on the sounder, it is very unlikely to produce unless you put a lot of hours in I have found. Better to go where there is actually fish showing on the sounder!

Got the boat back on Thursday and she's all tuned up! Couldn't put a crew together for this morning so me and my oldest son (4) got after it at 7 am. 3 weeks with out fishing felt like a lifetime and I'm not sure if I'm still hungover from my holidays but I forgot to take my straps off the boat when I tried to launch this morning... Opps.

We only had a couple hours to fish so we headed out off neck point, missed a few and landed a few coho( all wild) and one shark. Then nothing for the next hour or so so we headed to the fingers and hit a few more wild coho. Then it was off to collect the crab traps( the only reason I tink I was allowed out is a few of my wife's prairie friends are arriving shortly and she promised them crab). Must have had 20+ Keeper red rock crabs in 2 traps and no keeper dungenes. Anyways we grabbed our limit and headed home, now I have to process these and prep for delicius crab cakes!

Any recent news out around gabriola. Crossing the straight tommorow early tommorow morning

Had a good day there on Monday. A 16 and 12lb red and 2 hatch coho. Although talking to others it seems I hit a hot bite that day as it hasn't been that hot for the most part.

Beautiful day on the water today. Launched around 1pm Saturday, just me and my 11 old daughter. She reeled up her first real salmon about half an hour later. 12 and a half pound red spring. We also managed 1 hatchery coho. The spring at 200', the coho at 130. Army truck and watermelon spoons. 400' of water straight out from neck point/pipers area.

Got out for a few hours this afternoon, one undersized spring and small coho near the Fingers. Also hooked and lost a good line peeler in about 400 ft with the rigger at 120, Bon Chovy flasher and Irish Cream 3.5" spoon......and lost another decent fish that got tangled in the other rigger line.....dang!

Nice fish there, how deep down did you get that one? Im finding that any springs with size are still 200'+ down which is crazy for this time of year.

I would post/check the powell river and sunshine coast thread as that is closer to home I do not know there area well.

Finally got to wash some tackle tonite. One just under spring off Brickyard. Lots of fish marking at around 40-50 feet.

Back