2016 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

The mini hoochies work really well all summer long, and right into the fall for coho and chum. They are sometimes hard to find in other colors, but other colours of mini hoochies work really great as well.

Look for minis in red, chartreuse, orange, gold, white, army truck glow, and solid glow. Those colors have saved many a trip where larger presentations weren't working. Big springs love mini hoochies, they're not just for Sockeye as most people think, (but you've already caught on to that). It's really hard to find some of those shades these days, but they do work really well at times. Some you have to track down and order online.

I agree about using the little pink squirt. I've caught every species of salmon on those except chum (I've never been around that late in the season for their run through).
I shared a story on here about landing a big slab on that setup last year. I'll often put it down in the 50-75' range and go deep on the other side to target springs. I'll catch pinks and coho now and the odd spring as well. Haven't seen any pinks yet this year, but the kids love fishing for them.

I agree with BG -check out the nano squirts by Lighthouse lures (I think they are called) awesome selection of glow and UV colours and they are rapidly turning into a go to lure when I'm tired of washing chovies!!

Thanks guys.

Things have seemed to have really slowed down on the spring front, not having much luck. I'd like another spring or two as I'm luck if I get 1-2 more times on the water, we pack up on Thursday and head home Friday.

Coho action has still been decent and picked up a pink yesterday as well. The coho have been liking a 4" silver and black Apex spoon. They have been deeper lately as well, more consistently at the 160' mark.

Good last day in the water with my son. Picked up one last red spring on a 603 Tomic plug, just off bottom in 200'. Son picked up his first solo spring with no help from dad, an inch short but still 6 lbs.

See ya later Conox Valley, until next year! It's been a slice ;)

Had a great day out on the water fishing the kitty hump. 1-7
Lots of undersized spring and coho. Did catch a teener hatchery(white). Lots of action on the sounder.
Rant to the person who took out my licence plate and trailer light at pacific playgrounds. ****** thing to do. If anyone saw anything please let me know
image.jpeg

I'm up for a few days in Comox visiting family. I'm looking to head out for a few hours tomorrow but have never fished the Comox area. Any suggestions on where to head, how deep, etc would be great. I'm planning to drop a few crab traps as well. Appreciate any tips that are out there. I have a 23' boat but with my parents aboard so will probably want to keep the range within about 10 miles or so. Thanks!

Had a great day out on the water fishing the kitty hump. 1-7
Lots of undersized spring and coho. Did catch a teener hatchery(white). Lots of action on the sounder.
Rant to the person who took out my licence plate and trailer light at pacific playgrounds. ****** thing to do. If anyone saw anything please let me know
View attachment 28819
Unfortunately, you are not alone. Last week I saw the same thing on a trailer parked at the Comox Marina

I'm up for a few days in Comox visiting family. I'm looking to head out for a few hours tomorrow but have never fished the Comox area. Any suggestions on where to head, how deep, etc would be great. I'm planning to drop a few crab traps as well. Appreciate any tips that are out there. I have a 23' boat but with my parents aboard so will probably want to keep the range within about 10 miles or so. Thanks!
Crab traps can be dropped inside the Comox bar in about 80-125 feet . Bait them well as there is a lot of competition including a FN crabbing operation that is quite active .
You can have a reasonable chance of getting into fish if you fish outside of the cardinal bouys, off Cape Lazo. Anywhere from 70 ft to 200 ft ( drops off quickly) Green/glow hoochi or green glow coyote spoon behind a green or monkey puke flasher. Good luck. ( forgot-- if you want to run a few mile, head north to the Kitty Coleman hump area-- follow the pack.)

Last edited:
Crab traps can be dropped inside the Comox bar in about 80-125 feet . Bait them well as there is a lot of competition including a FN crabbing operation that is quite active .
You can have a reasonable chance of getting into fish if you fish outside of the cardinal bouys, off Cape Lazo. Anywhere from 70 ft to 200 ft ( drops off quickly) Green/glow hoochi or green glow coyote spoon behind a green or monkey puke flasher. Good luck. ( forgot-- if you want to run a few mile, head north to the Kitty Coleman hump area-- follow the pack.)
Appreciate the info Cuba Libre - assuming it stays calm I'll head for the hump area as you suggest and try my luck. Thanks again.

The NW wind looked like it was going to increase yesterday which was consistent with the forecast so I headed down off the SE end od Hornby Island to get in the wind shadow. Of course the wind dropped off entirely and it was like a pond. Found a few small bait balls that I worked though but only caught a few shakers. Tried a variety of green Irish cream and kitchen sink spoons including similar patterns in coho killers. Varied depths frequently but no luck. It was great on the water though. Ended up with 2 keeper dungenous crabs. Looks like a similar weather pattern today despite the forecast so will plan a run up to Coleman if it lays down in the afternoon for another attempt.

Went out for a short trip to the Coleman hump last night. No hits other than a shaker and very little showing on the sounder. Ran anchovy on one side and a kitchen sink spoon on the other. There were 3 other boats out there and didn't see any nets. Wind came up quickly after being like glass during the afternoon.

Tumble weeds on this thread... Anyone having any action out on the hump? Get the whole day to fish tomorrow and torn between heading north and launching out of bb or staying local..

Tumble weeds on this thread... Anyone having any action out on the hump? Get the whole day to fish tomorrow and torn between heading north and launching out of bb or staying local..
Check the wind out of BB it was supposed to be bad today, although you couldn't tell by looking at the water

Visited some family who were camped at kitty last night and watched the die hards struggle to get their boats on the trailer with the nasty NW blowing. Saw one nice spring brought to the cleaning table. The wind calmed down today, contrary to what the forcast was calling for, and I managed to get out for a few hours. 5 coho, one clipped, and missed a two good pin poppers. Didnt see any nets out either. Nice day on the water.

Visited some family who were camped at kitty last night and watched the die hards struggle to get their boats on the trailer with the nasty NW blowing. Saw one nice spring brought to the cleaning table. The wind calmed down today, contrary to what the forcast was calling for, and I managed to get out for a few hours. 5 coho, one clipped, and missed a two good pin poppers. Didnt see any nets out either. Nice day on the water.

When the high pressure moves in and they call for strong NW winds there is almost always a decent window mid day of flat calm water regardless of what the forecast says. Usually noon till 6 is a safe bet.

Try off the Cape Lazo cardinal buoy .. 60- 150 feet. Some nice springs and a good number of hatchery coho around. But first you have to sacrifice a virgin to the weather gods to get REALLY good fishing. ( Come to think of it--- maybe thats why things were slow a week or so ago---- no one could find a virgin ............)

Try off the Cape Lazo cardinal buoy .. 60- 150 feet. Some nice springs and a good number of hatchery coho around. But first you have to sacrifice a virgin to the weather gods to get REALLY good fishing. ( Come to think of it--- maybe thats why things were slow a week or so ago---- no one could find a virgin ............)
All used-at least the ones I know!! LOL

Back