2016 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

If you're out at the hump, your missing the bait, the fish, and ultimately, the action! Lol

If you see a little 14 footer (Lazy Daze) off in the distance, playing by themselves, travelling around in circles, no they aren't crazy, I'm following the feed and getting into the fish. ;)

If you're out at the hump, your missing the bait, the fish, and ultimately, the action! Lol

If you see a little 14 footer (Lazy Daze) off in the distance, playing by themselves, travelling around in circles, no they aren't crazy, I'm following the feed and getting into the fish. ;)
Very Nice, pack mentality gets the better of a lot of us... Can you give a little report such as depth your finding fish or what the fish are hitting?
,Toprod

If I was to guess, I would say 120 ft. in close. Unless it's closed, which I haven't found anywhere.;) eman

Very Nice, pack mentality gets the better of a lot of us... Can you give a little report such as depth your finding fish or what the fish are hitting?
,Toprod

Picture on page 1 of what I've been finding has produced the most. Black/purple/blue splatterback hootchie with a black uv/glow flasher. Coho killer's have been picking up just under springs as well as coho. I've been trying different combos, spoons, plugs, hootchies, etc. What I found worked well last year, not a sniff so far this season.

I've been hugging closer to the 200' line, so not the 120 Eman had suggested :p, though that may produce some late return summer run Puntledge fish. Some of the biggest 'arches' I'm seeing are only at 50' in 180-200 f.o.w. I know someone last year picked up a 24# spring buzz bombing near bottom in only 70 f.o.w. Typically I'm between the north hump and the Kitty ramp on that 200' line but can swap it with more south towards Little River.

Picture on page 1 of what I've been finding has produced the most. Black/purple/blue splatterback hootchie with a black uv/glow flasher. Coho killer's have been picking up just under springs as well as coho. I've been trying different combos, spoons, plugs, hootchies, etc. What I found worked well last year, not a sniff so far this season.

I've been hugging closer to the 200' line, so not the 120 Eman had suggested :p, though that may produce some late return summer run Puntledge fish. Some of the biggest 'arches' I'm seeing are only at 50' in 180-200 f.o.w. I know someone last year picked up a 24# spring buzz bombing near bottom in only 70 f.o.w. Typically I'm between the north hump and the Kitty ramp on that 200' line but can swap it with more south towards Little River.

Very Nice, splatterback has not produced for me but glo-green/white has been good as well as various spoons.
Going to try rolling chovies next outing.
I too was marking bigs in the 50' range, trolled it for a liitle while with no luck.
Back deep where we have been hitting them.
May try this evening- will report if I get out..TR

18 pounder fishing out of Bates Beach with the wife and kids this morning, red and wild. 180 feet on the rigger in 210 feet of water. Using a 603 Tomic. Packed it in right after as it got snarly out of the S.E.

IMG_2108.JPG

18 pounder fishing out of Bates Beach with the wife and kids this morning, red and wild. 180 feet on the rigger in 210 feet of water. Using a 603 Tomic. Packed it in right after as it got snarly out of the S.E.

View attachment 28408

Hi PL. Glad to see your getting into some fish. Nice detailed report and great pictures as well. I've got my boat apart doing some minor repair and upgrade work at the moment. Hope to be out there catching again soon myself.

Fished Kitty this morning and managed 1 small wild Coho around 70 ft on a blue meanie. Got a bit windy and bumpy so I headed back to Pt Holmes and promptly managed to ground my boat on the outgoing tide. Now waiting for the high tide to recover it. Just not my day.

Fished Kitty this morning and managed 1 small wild Coho around 70 ft on a blue meanie. Got a bit windy and bumpy so I headed back to Pt Holmes and promptly managed to ground my boat on the outgoing tide. Now waiting for the high tide to recover it. Just not my day.
I feel your pain Don! I get frustrated on those days.

Hi PL. Glad to see your getting into some fish. Nice detailed report and great pictures as well. I've got my boat apart doing some minor repair and upgrade work at the moment. Hope to be out there catching again soon myself.

Thanks Big Guy. I try not to carry any secrets and if I can help someone out, I'm very happy to do so. I'm by no means a grizzled vet or seasoned expert but I do catch fish. I've only been skunked once since I've been on the water so far.

If you need to get out on the water while your boat is broken down into pieces, I'll hook you up ;). You just need to get here! Lol

Thanks Big Guy. I try not to carry any secrets and if I can help someone out, I'm very happy to do so. I'm by no means a grizzled vet or seasoned expert but I do catch fish. I've only been skunked once since I've been on the water so far.

If you need to get out on the water while your boat is broken down into pieces, I'll hook you up ;). You just need to get here! Lol

Thanks for the offer Pl. There's nothing major wrong with the boat. I'm just doing a little modifications to the wiring, fuel system, new bilge pump, and some aluminum fabrication. I dont work too fast these days and I'm very set in my ways. I try to do everything by hand and only use power tools when absolutely necessary. My kids think I'm nuts when they see me cutting wood and starboard with hand saws that are older than me. I prefer to work metal by hand as well. I don't know why but I find nothing more satisfying than cutting and shaping a piece of metal or wood by hand. There's something very therapeutic about filing a piece of metal into just the shape you wanted. I've done a lot of custom aluminum fabrication on my boat. I'm far from a professional but I do have a ton of tools like a sheet metal bender and all the power tools you could need. I just prefer to use my Dad's 50 plus year old hand saws to do the work. You know the saying, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Not too fast, but I get more enjoyment out of doing it with my own hands.

I'll get it all back together soon enough. Thank you for the kind offer to take me out. I appreciate it.

Made it out to the Hump this afternoon. Found the Coho around 75-100 ft and they were hitting the blue meanie. All wild ones. Managed one small spring around 175 feet also on a blue meanie. Beautiful evening on the water.

Fished the hump on Sunday the 10th. Coho were hungry. Found them that day at 125' on the rigger, they were liking Purple Haze flasher with pink squirts as well as the blue/purple splatter back hootchies. Managed 3 hatchery coho but the majority of them Sunday were wild. The bite was on from about 12:30 to about 2:00, estimated about 20 fish. Trolling uphill seemed to produce at least 5:1 than downhill. We were N.W of the north hump in about 240' of water.

Fished yesterday, early evening bite was on. Thank goodness had two others in the boat, we couldn't keep the hatchery coho off the lines. Estimate over 40 fish from 5:30 to 7:30. Absolutely gorgeous evening on the water, flat calm, beautiful sun going down. Multiple double headers, first fish was landed when I was dropping the first line down. Yesterday they seemed to dominate at the 100' mark more than anywhere else. Three of us limited out! Blue/purple splatter back on Gold Betsy and blue meanie on Lemon Lime (I believe! is it's name). Left the water tired and sore handling so many fish. Felt like we were into pinks all evening with constant action.

Phil my boat, I think I saw you out there and recognized your boat. Was too busy managing rods, fish and the boat to wave! :D

IMG_2165.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Fished the hump on Sunday the 10th. Coho were hungry. Found them that day at 125' on the rigger, they were liking Purple Haze flasher with pink squirts as well as the blue/purple splatter back hootchies. Managed 3 hatchery coho but the majority of them Sunday were wild. The bite was on from about 12:30 to about 2:00, estimated about 20 fish. Trolling uphill seemed to produce at least 5:1 than downhill. We were N.W of the north hump in about 240' of water.

Fished yesterday, early evening bite was on. Thank goodness had two others in the boat, we couldn't keep the hatchery coho off the lines. Estimate over 40 fish from 5:30 to 7:30. Absolutely gorgeous evening on the water, flat calm, beautiful sun going down. Multiple double headers, first fish was landed when I was dropping the first line down. Yesterday they seemed to dominate at the 100' mark more than anywhere else. Three of us limited out! Blue/purple splatter back on Gold Betsy and blue meanie on Lemon Lime (I believe! is it's name). Left the water tired and sore handling so many fish. Felt like we were into pinks all evening with constant action.

Phil my boat, I think I saw you out there and recognized your boat. Was too busy managing rods, fish and the boat to wave! :D

View attachment 28556

For a flatlander you're sure showing the locals how it's done. Very nice work, glad you're having a great trip. Glad to hear the pink mini caught a few for you. If you give it equal time in the water it might surprise you and pick up a big spring.. I'd wish you good luck, but from the sounds of things you are doing just fine without needing any extra help in that department.

For a flatlander you're sure showing the locals how it's done. Very nice work, glad you're having a great trip. Glad to hear the pink mini caught a few for you. If you give it equal time in the water it might surprise you and pick up a big spring.. I'd wish you good luck, but from the sounds of things you are doing just fine without needing any extra help in that department.

Thanks Big Guy. I doubt though that I'm showing the locals how it's done, rather, I don't feel I need to keep it a secret as to what's working and where I'm finding fish and success. It doesn't hurt my ego at all and I don't mind sharing at all.

I agree about using the little pink squirt. I've caught every species of salmon on those except chum (I've never been around that late in the season for their run through).
I shared a story on here about landing a big slab on that setup last year. I'll often put it down in the 50-75' range and go deep on the other side to target springs. I'll catch pinks and coho now and the odd spring as well. Haven't seen any pinks yet this year, but the kids love fishing for them.

Back