2016 Campbell River Reports

If you're heading up there tomorrow, and have no experience in the Narrows, I would recommend going through on the slack tide. 500 horses will push you through anything that the Narrows will produce, but going through on a full tide is an intimidating experience for even the most seasoned boaters.
I grew up looking right up Seymour Narrows and you don't want to know the number of boats I've seen in real bad trouble on that piece of water. Everything from 16' tinnies right up to cruise ships and freighters.
Looks like morning slack is 8:22 AM, so I would recommend heading through anytime between 8 and 9.
It would be my recommendation to try Browns Bay. It can be productive on the ebb.
Also could be worthwhile to head just a hair north of Okisollo channel and give it a whirl in Greensea.
Like Charlie says, Octopus and related areas are RCA, but you're in a pretty good spot to pop through Hole In The Wall and try your luck around Stuart Island. Look for the guide boats.

Just got in from a weekend north of the narrows. Fairly good fishing. Released a bunch of wild coho, and tubbed an 8 and 13 pound spring. Also a handful of pinks and a chum kept us busy on the rods. Great trip. If anyone is thinking about heading up that way feel free to pm for more details.

Lost nice spring at boat last nite at the green can right at dark. 18-20ish i would guess. Fair amount of boats, did not see any net action. anyone have any luck?

Probably going to head north of the narrows this weekend - any reports from Chatham/Greensea/Thurston would be appreciated!

Hey Guys....don't know gear/depth/tide or anything but I can tell you it was sometime after about 2pm yesterday.

A buddy ran up to CR area en route to spending some time up in Desolation area and it was DEAD for him early in the day. I looked at this thread and said "go north of the narrows!" :p

Anyhow....yesterday afternoon later on he was at Wilby Shoals (??) and got a 15 and a nice 25er. If he chimes back via text I'll ask depth etc.

Saw a guide cleaning up a few springs at the dock a couple days ago, including a mid 30. He was pretty tight lipped but said north of the narrows. Friends in Stuart island area say it's spotty

Saw a guide cleaning up a few springs at the dock a couple days ago, including a mid 30. He was pretty tight lipped but said north of the narrows. Friends in Stuart island area say it's spotty

Heard Denham Bay was on last night. lots of big springs finally.

Fished the dead sea today from 6:00 this morning until 4:00 this afternoon. Greensea, Denham, and the hump..... I bet we caught 50-60 salmon all in the 8-10" range. No love for this boat today, but man what a beautiful (hot) day on the water. Maybe tomorrow the fish gods will reward me.

I've been fishing quite a bit out of Pacific Playgrounds and have been having consistent success jigging up nice springs on Wilby Shoals by Francisco Point. Mornings and evenings have been best. Lots of bait in shallow. Fishin mostly 50-90'. Came in with 5 the other morning after a 4hr fish - 23, 19, 18, 15 and 11. Also lost probably my first Tyee after it wrapped two other lines and the leg on my motor :mad:. At times bait runs the whole water column. Shimano Butterfly jigs out fishing all our other gear at least 3 to 1. Lots of guys trolling circles around us and have been hooking up quite regularly as well. I'd say almost all of them are using Tomic plugs at least on one side. The Painters guides are running 602's on both sides and look to be the 6". I also saw a guide (can't remember the name on the boat) that was using a Tomic Army Truck on one side and a Purple Haze on the other, again look to be 6". We've also been catching herring on Sabiki Rigs to make pickled herring. The bait is very large, some upwards of 10".

Hope that helps!

I've been fishing quite a bit out of Pacific Playgrounds and have been having consistent success jigging up nice springs on Wilby Shoals by Francisco Point. Mornings and evenings have been best. Lots of bait in shallow. Fishin mostly 50-90'. Came in with 5 the other morning after a 4hr fish - 23, 19, 18, 15 and 11. Also lost probably my first Tyee after it wrapped two other lines and the leg on my motor :mad:. At times bait runs the whole water column. Shimano Butterfly jigs out fishing all our other gear at least 3 to 1. Lots of guys trolling circles around us and have been hooking up quite regularly as well. I'd say almost all of them are using Tomic plugs at least on one side. The Painters guides are running 602's on both sides and look to be the 6". I also saw a guide (can't remember the name on the boat) that was using a Tomic Army Truck on one side and a Purple Haze on the other, again look to be 6". We've also been catching herring on Sabiki Rigs to make pickled herring. The bait is very large, some upwards of 10".

Hope that helps!
Thanks.
I will give that a whirl and let you know.

Hey all. I've never fished near Campbell River before, will be coming up from Parksville. 17' boat, where to launch and a reasonable place to fish without travelling more then 5 miles or so? Any help appreciated.

South end of Quadra Island: launch at Husky. Free launch, but if parking is full you can pay and park at Husky. Hump, Green Can, Wilby Shoals, Francisco all pretty close.

North of Narrows: launch at Browns Bay. $12 I think. Dirt Road going in which is narrow at some points. Deepwater, Browns, Plumper bays in close proximity. As is the Narrows if you're feeling adventurous.

You can also launch in town at Discovery Harbour (behind Canadian Tire) $10, but it is outside of your requested five mile boat ride limit.

South end of Quadra Island: launch at Husky. Free launch, but if parking is full you can pay and park at Husky. Hump, Green Can, Wilby Shoals, Francisco all pretty close.

North of Narrows: launch at Browns Bay. $12 I think. Dirt Road going in which is narrow at some points. Deepwater, Browns, Plumper bays in close proximity. As is the Narrows if you're feeling adventurous.

You can also launch in town at Discovery Harbour (behind Canadian Tire) $10, but it is outside of your requested five mile boat ride limit.

Pacific Playgrounds has a decent launch with lots of parking. Its exactly 6 miles to the Green Can. Lots of Pinks are spawning right now in the Oyster River as well so you don't have to go that far to get some action either. Sentry Shoals is about 4 miles and has excellent bottom fishing and is thick with Coho right now. Get the odd Spring moving through too...

Hey all. I've never fished near Campbell River before, will be coming up from Parksville. 17' boat, where to launch and a reasonable place to fish without travelling more then 5 miles or so? Any help appreciated.

Salmon point has an ok launch, Need 5 feet to get out or in the marina though. You are within 30mins of potentially good fishing in all directions.

Fished browns bay yesterday morning....lost of boats, a few fished being caught. We managed 1 smaller spring.....fished from 6 till noonish, then got tired of putting up with wind. Any reports on whats being better......the am or evening up in that area? or i guess the ebb or the flood?

Back