2016 Campbell River Reports

Fished the evening out at Francisco and the Green Can tonight. Tried fishing bait for a while and ended up with a couple wild coho and one hatchery fish for dinner tomorrow. Caught one undersize spring right at the tide change and that was it for chinooks to my boat this fine evening. Dogfish caught on that we were dragging chovies around and put an end to that! Lol! Tried plugs for dusk but to no avail. Did see one fish netted just before we left for the barn.

Beauty day at Browns today.
Lived here all my life and let me tell ya boys and girls, this was a first! Trolling anchovies behind flashers at 135 feet in 170 feet of water and I see the rod jump ever so slightly so I grab it just as the line pops out of the clip, set the hook and pass it off to my buddy, who hasn't been out fishing in years. The fish gives a bunch of headshakes and takes off on a monstrous run, all the while, buddy is playing this thing like he's had a rod in his hand everyday the last ten years. I'm sure we've got a really nice spring on now and we are both getting excited with the anticipation of seeing a "twenty plus" come up. He gets the fish a little closer and we spot the flasher but can't see any silver down there and I'm thinking "what the hell is going on? I can't see the fish". Then I spot a big brown shadow and realize we've got a freakin Halibut on our hands.

Anyways, long story short, it ended up being towed around by the tail for the rest of the ebb, while we kept fishing for the elusive Chinook. We were kept busy with fairly regular action including releasing three wild coho, kept a pink and a 9lb spring. We long line released a couple nice fish. One of the most enjoyable days I've had fishing in a long, long time. A new record for my boat has been set today. The Hali weighed in at 56 pounds and we now have more than a few killer fish and chip feeds coming up!

Awesome
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    443.1 KB · Views: 112
Beauty day at Browns today.
Lived here all my life and let me tell ya boys and girls, this was a first! Trolling anchovies behind flashers at 135 feet in 170 feet of water and I see the rod jump ever so slightly so I grab it just as the line pops out of the clip, set the hook and pass it off to my buddy, who hasn't been out fishing in years. The fish gives a bunch of headshakes and takes off on a monstrous run, all the while, buddy is playing this thing like he's had a rod in his hand everyday the last ten years. I'm sure we've got a really nice spring on now and we are both getting excited with the anticipation of seeing a "twenty plus" come up. He gets the fish a little closer and we spot the flasher but can't see any silver down there and I'm thinking "what the hell is going on? I can't see the fish". Then I spot a big brown shadow and realize we've got a freakin Halibut on our hands.

Anyways, long story short, it ended up being towed around by the tail for the rest of the ebb, while we kept fishing for the elusive Chinook. We were kept busy with fairly regular action including releasing three wild coho, kept a pink and a 9lb spring. We long line released a couple nice fish. One of the most enjoyable days I've had fishing in a long, long time. A new record for my boat has been set today. The Hali weighed in at 56 pounds and we now have more than a few killer fish and chip feeds coming up!

Awesome
View attachment 28644

Heading north of the narrows in a week or so for a few days. Got me pumped up now.

Been a little slow this trip here but yesterday was a good day with our limit of 4 ranging from 12 to 20. Lots of boats out there and action seemed good for spring and cohos.

Had a pretty good morning out front on Wednesday.
Trailer needed some attention before a couple of trips to the west coast come up, so we decided to book off the morning and try our luck.
We got out by the green can around 8 and there were lots of boats and lots of action. We saw one middle size chinook netted, most other salmon were small.
We landed a small teener.
As the ebb got going we headed around to the hump.
First pass did a long line release, so went back around and picked up a very nice 26#.
We have been having a pretty scratchy year so far, so this was a delight.
Went back to the office in the afternoon, but did not get much done!
Blue meanie around 200'.

Anybody have any idea whether or not we'll be aloud to whack a sockeye or two this season? Checked the dfo website but couldnt find anything.

Anybody have any idea whether or not we'll be aloud to whack a sockeye or two this season? Checked the dfo website but couldnt find anything.
Not likely this year bud.... Or next either, seems that the next chance at one will be 2018.....maybe???

Fished the hump this morning one lingcod. Moved to the green can and picked up a hatchery coho. Lots of small ones and a 60 cm Chinook that we, of course, released. Beauty day on the water. Still pockets of bait out there.

Fished the hump Sunday and picked up to springs at 182 feet on the rigger with a green and white spoon. Seems slow but I always say out here a good day is a couple springs on a tide change. I mean come-on it ain't the west coast lol.

View media item 188Ran the boat up from the Sunshine Coast today.

Stopped at Grants at about 12:30 for a couple hours. Kept a 4 lb hatch coho and released a wild about the same size. Few other hits that didn't stick and some undersized.

Moved on to the green can 3:30 - 5:30. Hit a 25 lb spring on a 6" glow tomic plug. Fish was full of med/large herring.

Over to the hump until 7:30 and got a 7 lb spring on the same plug.

Last edited:
Any news on Chatam or Greensea bay ? Looking to head up there next week and get off the grid for a couple nights.

I haven't fished north of the narrows yet myself . I have heard from others that it was spotty at best, including pinks. Never hurts to try. Sounds like there was a pretty cool killer whale/ dolphin show early in the week.

Just after a little bit of local advise
Up with the family for holiday around Desolation etc and trying to get in some fishing when I can
Was just tagging some fish not far off P61 with a purple onion and green glow spoon when my son woke up and had to pack up, no keepers, and just to rub it in I was moored near some great cleaning tables at Discovery Marina.
Heading North around Quadra tomorrow through Seymour Narrows and anchor up in the Octopus Islands
We have a 32' solid power boat but always respect Mother Nature.
1. Is there anything we have to be concerned about up around there or would the 500hp plough through it all?
2. Anywhere i should put the rod down for my 1hr 1/2 of peace.

Appreciate any advise.

Thanks

Octopus Islands is a big RCA. Watch the rapids and whirlpools around there. HP doesn't overcome poor decisions. Know what the slacks are and don't take chances. Have fun it's a beautiful area. Fishing has been slow up that way lately.

Back