2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Hit Pill Point yesterday and nailed 1-5 lb spring. Only hit in 2 hrs. Went to Swale, not one hit in 3 hrs., not a beep on the finder. Inside fishing is slooooow.

You must be mistaken best fishing run in 10 years:rolleyes:

The Jackel's saying best fishing in 10 years tongue-in-cheek, frango. He (like many of us) is growing restless waiting for the slabs to hit our shores :p

Just back from 4 days in the sound.
There are fish there but they are small.
Worked middling hard for the keepers up to low teens.
Kept some legal ones that were bleeding.
Hope the news from Nootka is a sign that bigger and more fish are imminent!

BTW the nets in the inlet are VERY hard to see. White floats in whitecaps in the shipping lane??? Unbelievable, someone is going to get hurt sooner or later.

Hit Pill Point yesterday and nailed 1-5 lb spring. Only hit in 2 hrs. Went to Swale, not one hit in 3 hrs., not a beep on the finder. Inside fishing is slooooow.

i know its not lights out fishing , but im out there every other week , and a handful of others i keep in touch with.. ,
we always seem to find pockets of springs and a few coho ,
there's 6 or so pretty easy common areas to fish , move around a bit , work the tides , fish in tight in the pinnacles n humps
personally ,,, if i dont have any action in an hour or so i move , sometimes 2-3 times in a few hours ,
eventually we find them , there is fish year round here ,
im not a stay n pay kinda guy , seems to work most times bumpin around ,

but............ i here ya ,definitely not ur average July ,
hopefully things heat up soon , my source says , "there just around the corner"

:)

not kdding !!

fd

Maybe you can get out fishing before 10am this trip lol. that beauty sleep isnt helping you at all anyways.

Went fishing yesterday at Beale. Nailed one 19 lbs , a small ling, and 6 black fish ... Had to move on, there was a school of them , and they would hit every anchovy that I'd put in the water... Trolled down to Whittlestone, hit a 20 lbs there...

DSCF4545 (Large).JPG
DSCF4554 (Large).JPG

Other fisherman did well also, heard of a 27 lbs caught just outside Bamfield. The banks also had some nice action... Weather was so sweet :) The fish are on the run, watch-out !!!

This morning was a different story. Beale was rough, cold and windy.... Nice 6 ft rollers.... Fished from 6:00AM , all the way to the wall at Dixon, 4 hours later, did not get a single hit... Very few fish , if any in a reasonable size, got caught today...

Looks like there is good and bad days ahead , keep the hope alive :)

Attachments

• DSCF4545 (Large).JPG
    DSCF4545 (Large).JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 13
looks great for the wknd offshore !!

fd
Went fishing yesterday at Beale. Nailed one 19 lbs , a small ling, and 6 black fish ... Had to move on, there was a school of them , and they would hit every anchovy that I'd put in the water... Trolled down to Whittlestone, hit a 20 lbs there...

View attachment 28563
View attachment 28565

Other fisherman did well also, heard of a 27 lbs caught just outside Bamfield. The banks also had some nice action... Weather was so sweet :) The fish are on the run, watch-out !!!

This morning was a different story. Beale was rough, cold and windy.... Nice 6 ft rollers.... Fished from 6:00AM , all the way to the wall at Dixon, 4 hours later, did not get a single hit... Very few fish , if any in a reasonable size, got caught today...

View attachment 28563
View attachment 28565

Great to hear!
Nice fish SZ, Food luck!

Any recent reports from bamfield or the offshore areas? Thinkin of hauling the boat over Tuesday night and makin some runs out of Alberni for a few days. Wednesday looks good offshore . Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Going to be in the area Thursday to Sunday. Fishing Swale and around there. No off shore due to boat size but any thoughts would be a help. Thanks. Terry

pretty scratchy ,
brutal road in , 2 hrs out sunday

there are pockets of fish , lots of shakers still .

tip
fish the outter sound , the fish that are around , are of nice quality ,
spoons was best 50-70 feet

slowest July in my books , but....

" they are just around the corner " :)

lots of fish now up the coast coming down , spoke to alot of guys yesterday !! dont give up quite yet

Kyuquot was hot this wknd , i seen some great pics

fd

Last edited:
pretty scratchy ,

tip
fish the outter sound , the fish around , are of nice quality ,

lots of fish now up the coast coming down , spoke to alot of guys yesterday !! dont give up quite yet

fd

pretty scratchy ,

tip
fish the outter sound , the fish around , are of nice quality ,

fd

Hearing the same thing ...gold river is warming up nicely too.. :)

just read a post on a Uclulet site with reports fishing is hot up there - getting close!

lots of fish now up the coast coming down

Back