2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

pretty scratchy in all of 23 now , Commys hit it hard again ,
sportys that tried last week around the nook failed miserably ,
word is the commys did poorly , but yet insisted in mopping up the few that were there ???
just dont get the powers at be....

fd

roger. thanks! gonna be a work weekend but will get out once to target some fish.

Hit three chinooks, kept one, in quick succession at Beale today around 4:00. Running cut plugs on the rigger. 30 to 50 feet in 60 to 80 feet of water.

Hey guys,
never fished barkley or the broken islands. Planning on dragging my old man up for father's day weekend. Can anyone PM some info on zones or a map of preferred areas to drop the lines? Is there a thread available on the matter?
Thanks,
sorry for putting this in fishing reports.

Hey guys,
never fished barkley or the broken islands. Planning on dragging my old man up for father's day weekend. Can anyone PM some info on zones or a map of preferred areas to drop the lines? Is there a thread available on the matter?
Thanks,
sorry for putting this in fishing reports.
SalmonUniversity.com. Go to Vancouver Island Region and then Barkley Sound. Great Info!

Heading over to Bamfield today for the weekend. 4 full days of fishing - can't wait! Planning to get offshore for a day or two at least but also hoping to fit in a sockeye trip. I will post updates. If anyone has a recent report, that would be great. Thanks!

Talked to my Uncle today he was offshore at Southbank, 5 springs landed in the 12lb range on bait. Conditions offshore are decent and look to be good for the wknd.

I was in Gone Fishin' in Port this afternoon - overheard one of the guys say "good reports of fishing in the canal". Also saw a few jumpers in the river, so they are coming through.

We spent most of the day at 7 mile going for halibut with no joy. There were 4 other boats and we didn't see a net or harpoon touch the water. We did catch and release a very large skate - must have been close to a 100lbs. That was at least some excitement in what was otherwise a very slow day. We did get into some coho off Whittlestone on the way back in. Kept 1 for dinner, released 3, and fed a seal with another. Also tried Kirby but only caught a few shakers. We're going to try for sockeye tomorrow and hopefully have some better luck! If anyone has some recommendations on where the Chinook might be, let us know - appreciate the Southbank post Chinook Breeze - we might give that a try.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 44
We launched at China creek at 5:00 am today. Made our way over to the rockslide and caught our 8 sockeye by 9:30. Nice size fish. Headed out to Barkley Sound for springs. A bit windy, about the max to fish in for me, nothing YET. Fished up diplock to robbers. Lunch then fish the flood. Fingers crossed.

We launched at China creek at 5:00 am today. Made our way over to the rockslide and caught our 8 sockeye by 9:30. Nice size fish. Headed out to Barkley Sound for springs. A bit windy, about the max to fish in for me, nothing YET. Fished up diplock to robbers. Lunch then fish the flood. Fingers crossed.

Just an FYI if you catch 4 sockeye per angler (not sure how many guys you are fishing with), then you are done for the day. The daily limit for all species of Pacific salmon from tidal and fresh waters combined is four.

Recently back from a 2 day trip to bam town with some buds. We hit the wall, Kirby,and mears on Saturday afternoon fighting a north west blowing straight in the sound. We managed only one spring and a few lings which we released. Seemed very scratchy for fish inside. Sunday headed offshore to la perouse. Good weather and 12 guide boats where we were. Landed 3 nice 20s then pulled the pin at the rats nose and headed to the whale tail. Trolled towards the chair and hammered all our halli and the rest of our springs all by our lonesome, was awesome! Monday nothing to do but head home early.

We headed into the inlet from Bamfield to fish Sockeye on Saturday and avoid the wind. We had to search for them but we found some schools at Sproat Narrows where we hooked into a lot of fish. We eventually got our 8 fish finishing off with a quadruple header. It was a good time. Sunday we headed offshore as well - apparently we should have gone a bit further than we did based on Trophy21's report. We didn't fare so well. We started at South Bank. Spent several hours trolling around and didn't see a net come out. There was also nothing of consequence showing on the sounder. We eventually pulled out a 20lb halibut bottom bouncing and lost another but that was it. We also tried Turtle Head, 7 mile, and 5 mile. On Monday, we fished Whittlestone. The wind was howling along with some nasty swells. But there were fish showing up and a good amount of bait around. We ended up with our limit on springs (in the 10-13 lb range). It's become customary that we feed our first good fish to a local seal and Monday was no exception - the seal grabbed it moments after the fish popped the clip. We also got 2 very nice 7lb coho. These fish were all primarily feeding on squid - stuffed full of them. Not surprisingly, hoochies were the ticket to success for all of them as they completely ignored the anchovy that was rolling only a few feet away. It was eventually replaced with a hoochie which also produced. We left for calmer waters at the mouth of Alberni inlet to see if we could pick up another sockeye or two and finished the day with a double header on sockeye - only got 1 of them to the net but no complaints. Overall I would say the fishing was slow though - we put in a lot of hours to fill the cooler.

Back