2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Thanks Felix, nice app. There goes a few hours of online exploring and trip planning. :)

Heading to Barkley for a couple days starting Thursday. Main intent is to target Halli and other bottom dwellers. Hope to spend some time hunting springs as well. Anyone know if there is much in the way of spring around right now?

Will post a report wen we get back: Ray

Just back from Poett Nook, No Salmon for us however we did not spend much time fishing for them, didn't see anyone else catching any either. Ling Cod fishing was OK got a few, and 1 Halibut inside. Offshore was to rough. Prawning was not great either.

Back from Barkley .First trip of the year and was a good time. weather was awesome and enjoyed every minute with a couple great guys. we concentrated on bottom fish. Thursday saw us on the hook for last half of the morning tide and through the eb. No Hali love ,but got a few nice ling and a couple vermillion. Day two we relocated and managed a nice 49-50 Lb Halli and a few more rock fish. Snuck out for 3 hours or so before packing up today and lucked into another vermillion and the bookend to the first Halli. This one was a little bigger than the first putting it just over 50. We never did try for salmon as it was lots of hours on the hook to get the Halli. So although we had to work hard for them the overall result was pretty good. Love the time I get to spend over there!!!!
Here is a couple shots to get ya motivated.

all tied up and cooling off

13239263_10156854379005176_6604479780828258705_n.jpg

Tom withTodays 50
13164280_10156854284495176_3393589627893965106_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a couple of beauty harpoon gut shots from the pics and a whole lot of prime white meat, congrats! Those Island West docks look in great shape, good to see as I'll be moored there in 4-weeks for the annual mid-June Ukee trip. Thanks to your pics and report waiting just got a whole lot harder!! LOL!

Cheers!

Ukee

Looks like a couple of beauty harpoon gut shots from the pics and a whole lot of prime white meat, congrats! Those Island West docks look in great shape, good to see as I'll be moored there in 4-weeks for the annual mid-June Ukee trip. Thanks to your pics and report waiting just got a whole lot harder!! LOL!

Cheers!

Ukee

Looking at that pic I should get an advertising discount next time I am there. Coincidentally is mid jJune as well. Think we are there 17,18,19. Should be som good fishing at that time.

Yes, they couldn't ask for a much better promo pic than that!! I'll be there 12th-18th, will post some mid-week reports or pm you if there are some hot bites. Last couple of years Wya and Florencia have been on fire in June for springs - easy early limits leaving lots of time to explore the inner reefs for Lings and banks for butts!

Cheers!

Ukee

I fished out of Salmon Beach for three days, ending May 17th. We were only able to pick up two mid teen springs at Chrow Islands, after working hard to find fish. We tried (and did but got pounded) to go after halibut with not success at six mile.

We saw quite a few boats, and judging by the way they fished large areas, and didn't seem to focus on any one spot, I would describe the fishing right now as slow.

We picked up the springs at 35 feet on cop car spoons.

Wife wants to fish.towing to China creek,launching boat and running out to broken /deer group in morning. 18.5 campion explorer. Any insite as to weather for this plan she has hatched would be appreciated.. Probably hit swale, pill etc.

hearing similar reports off Ukee - strong fishing out on Lighthouse, Long Beach and South Banks. Should mean fish moving through the outer Barkley Sound spots and then off Bamfield soon enough.

Cheers!

Ukee

Yup, same report of good fishing off on banks. Water settled down too, making it possible to trek out.

Thanks for the reports. Think we will try further afield than swale given the reports. Nice to get back up this way at any rate.

image.jpeg Wife wants to fish. Wife gets fish. Hit swale at first light, only 1 undersized. Moved to Mears Bluff no keepers but lost a teaser head on one hit. Decided to try Kirby. Picked up two teeners at 43 ft in 49 ft of water both on bait. Trolled around diplock to end the day and lost another teaser on another hit. Time to retie my teaser heads I guess. Weather and water both good. Huh can't seem to rotate pic. You get the idea.

Fished Sat at the entrance to Bamfield Harbour, we started first light on Sat and had a 12 lber in the box before the second rod was in the water. What a start, and we were all thinking this is going to be lights out...but that was it...trolled for 3 more hrs cleaning an assortment of gear. Packed it in for breakfast around 9 and came back twice later in the day for only shakers, once in the middle of the tide and once closer to the slack. Also fished Kirby Sat for a couple of hrs with no success, didn't see any landed, and picked up another in the Harbour Sunday morning, with a couple of shakers. Pretty slow fishing. Heard some guys did well at Whittlestone and Meares that were fishing the derby. There are a few around, but not hot yet. Bottom fishing has been good.

going down this weekend, read the regs today and pretty sure prawning is open. But for some reason i thought there was pulse fishing in sub areas 1-4. Can anyone confirm?

going down this weekend, read the regs today and pretty sure prawning is open. But for some reason i thought there was pulse fishing in sub areas 1-4. Can anyone confirm?

pretty scratchy in all of 23 now , Commys hit it hard again ,
sportys that tried last week around the nook failed miserably ,
word is the commys did poorly , but yet insisted in mopping up the few that were there ???
just dont get the powers at be....

fd

Heard from a buyer in Vancouver today that the commie prawn fishery was a complete bust up and down the coast and if the normal spots haven't been shut down by now, they will be soon.

Back