2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Ran out to rats nose today and it was very slow for us. One keeper Chinook and about 5 undersize. Lost a Hali as well. Stopped and anchored on the way in and picked up a 50lb hali.

Thanks! We're headed out to Bamfied tomorrow so looking forward to checking it out! What did you use as lure / bait? Depth? Any help appreciated... haven't fished for Hali before....but have many options we've bought and salmon belly ready :)

Thanks! We're headed out to Bamfied tomorrow so looking forward to checking it out! What did you use as lure / bait? Depth? Any help appreciated... haven't fished for Hali before....but have many options we've bought and salmon belly ready :)
If you are salmon fishing as well then keep the heads. Either use a whole head if smaller or cut a bigger one in half. Use that on one hook and a salmon belly on the other and your good to go. Make sure you hook it in a way that when it is swallowed it will be able to hook the fish. Find a hump in the 150 to 300 range. There are a lot of contours off of bamfield so just find something that looks good to you and give it a try.

If you are salmon fishing as well then keep the heads. Either use a whole head if smaller or cut a bigger one in half. Use that on one hook and a salmon belly on the other and your good to go. Make sure you hook it in a way that when it is swallowed it will be able to hook the fish. Find a hump in the 150 to 300 range. There are a lot of contours off of bamfield so just find something that looks good to you and give it a try.
thanks, that helps a lot :) Maybe see you out there :)

We were out again today at 7 mile. Picked up one 20lb spring and a wild coho that we sent back . Anchored up again and had our two hali fairly quickly. Unreal weather out there.

Thunder21,
Thanks for the report. Its been a few years since I've fished in Barkley and offshore. Never had much luck around 5/7 mile, but have done well at most times at the Rats Nose when possible to runout that far in my small 21' boat. Im planning on a couple of trips out there soon - im old, my boats old, and dont plan on heading far offShore.
Is there anything specific to look for at 5 or 7 mile to choose the best fishing location, without giving out your numbers?
Thanks
Stosh

Thunder21,
Thanks for the report. Its been a few years since I've fished in Barkley and offshore. Never had much luck around 5/7 mile, but have done well at most times at the Rats Nose when possible to runout that far in my small 21' boat. Im planning on a couple of trips out there soon - im old, my boats old, and dont plan on heading far offShore.
Is there anything specific to look for at 5 or 7 mile to choose the best fishing location, without giving out your numbers?
Thanks
Stosh

the edges.....

Thunder21,
Thanks
Stosh
Ya I just anchor for hali anywhere that has a lot of structure around it. I haven't fished out there a lot so my Advice isn't worth very much. When fishing Chinook I troll the structure near the edge as well and look for bait.

Back