2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Heading up to Poet nook in 7 days for what I am hoping will be 6 great days of fishing. I was there in early august just as the fish finally moved in and the fishing turned on. We did great using coho killers and Brads mini cut plugs at depths of 25-60 feet. Looks like those lures and depths continue work well from what I have been reading. Here is the question, to all you Barkley Sound regulars. The rain is moving in, and it looks to be raining the whole time we are there. Do you guys change your tactics when the rain moves in late in the year? Fish different areas or depths? Or is still hit and miss from spot to spot. Obviously a lot of fish are going to start moving up the river and the inlet will start to produce more fish. But if I am wanting to fish the sound, Fleming, the wall, diplock, pill, swale, etc. Are there places that tend to hold more fish when the rains move in, do the fish tend to move shallower or deeper? Fish are where you find them, this I understand. But I am trying to plan tactics as best as I can, before I get there. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Heading up to Poet nook in 7 days for what I am hoping will be 6 great days of fishing. I was there in early august just as the fish finally moved in and the fishing turned on. We did great using coho killers and Brads mini cut plugs at depths of 25-60 feet. Looks like those lures and depths continue work well from what I have been reading. Here is the question, to all you Barkley Sound regulars. The rain is moving in, and it looks to be raining the whole time we are there. Do you guys change your tactics when the rain moves in late in the year? Fish different areas or depths? Or is still hit and miss from spot to spot. Obviously a lot of fish are going to start moving up the river and the inlet will start to produce more fish. But if I am wanting to fish the sound, Fleming, the wall, diplock, pill, swale, etc. Are there places that tend to hold more fish when the rains move in, do the fish tend to move shallower or deeper? Fish are where you find them, this I understand. But I am trying to plan tactics as best as I can, before I get there. Any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

When it rains, continue usin' the same tactics. Look for numerous boats, stay with them, meanin' there are bait around, and the fish too. In the inlet, when the rain hits, the school of fish zoom straight to the river, leavin' the inlet empty for one day or two. Another run comes in, more fishing days to come or the season ends. my opinion. I prefer hot sunny days, fish stay around for a while.

Went out in the afternoon. Very windy this afternoon. Hid behind any Lees to stay out of the wind. Had 8 springs, 2 coho on the same hoochies and same depths as the last time out Salmon fishing on the south side of the sound. One double header of springs all good size. High teeners, low twenties. Gf kept one twenty, rest were released. Very good fishing the last hour before dark.

Where about were you fishing?

Where about were you fishing?

Fleming, Tsartus, Pill Pt. PILL was good yesterday, a little slower today. GF complained it was lousy fishing because we only got a couple 10 pounders in an hour. She wanted to go ling fishing, so we did. Caught a nice teener Ling. Did a bit more Salmon fishing, but it was slower and they kept popping off today. Blue and white, or blue and glow, were working as far as hoochies again. Haven't bothered to drag bait yet. Hoochies have been working pretty good.

Reactions: RBL
Fishing has been good at Fleming, Pill and Swale in the last couple of afternoons , and the wall has been producing fish in the morning. A guy got a 42 a Whittlestone yesterday

Just got back from Bam. Fishing was solid with just a few quiet outings thrown in. Caught nice springs in the high teens to mid 20's, no real pigs, from tapaltos bay to Kirby and all down the wall to Nanat. Nice coho out there too. Fished mainly anchovies w/jdf heads. The smallest sized chovies way outfished even the next size up. All springs caught up close to shore 25 to 45 on the ball, in like 60-125 ft depths. Coho all out deeper water but no real consensus as to depth mostly 45-55. One guy was catching beauty coho (high teens, really, I saw the scale) at 90 ft. Who knew?
Last couple sessions beat me up with losing eight fish in a row. Felt like a total loser out there, sniff.

Monday am super quiet with only one hook up (yup, lost it) as I popped the rod to check bait. Coho I suspect.

Most fish had empty stomachs so I went a while with a small coyote spoon in bright yellow and orange, to, you know maybe elicit some instinctive hits. All I got for my trouble was shaker after shaker hitting the spoon, complete pain in the posterior. Very few shakers on bait.
A few fish were stuffed with tiny little bass looking things, no idea what they were but dozens of them like 30+ in the gut of one spring. No pics sorry.
Beauty weather for me and my 16 ft aluminum, got around to pretty much anywhere I wanted, especially before 1:00 pm ish.
Q: anyone know how to repair leaky riveted boats? Not so bad but, would be nice to keep it dry.

Thanks for this forum guys, super helpful. Ciao for now!

Q: anyone know how to repair leaky riveted boats? Not so bad but, would be nice to keep it dry.

I have used Gluvit with success on a leaky aluminum boat. Just coat the rivets on the outside. Is kind of like an epoxy.

http://www.marinetex.com/gluvit.html

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...hvtargid=kwd-958848990&ref=pd_sl_3yxpci9cfq_b

Have you tried to 'bang' the rivet together to tighten it with a hammer on one side and a block of alum or similar on the other side?

Carry the rivet head by convexing a punch with a dremal grinding tip ,find the right tip and your done,or you may drill out the hole to make a larger rivet fit ,cut rivet off and get air chizel and compressor cut tip of chizel and convex it to carry rivet head,to do the job you need two people communicating though magnets to find rivet easyer and with the right fitting back pressure of a harder metal on the rivet your able to give it a shot.try this first ,sealants make a mess and the leaky ones don't seal long.think a fid woud work if your in a jam.

Reactions: abl
Just got back from Bam. Fishing was solid with just a few quiet outings thrown in. Caught nice springs in the high teens to mid 20's, no real pigs, from tapaltos bay to Kirby and all down the wall to Nanat. Nice coho out there too. Fished mainly anchovies w/jdf heads. The smallest sized chovies way outfished even the next size up. All springs caught up close to shore 25 to 45 on the ball, in like 60-125 ft depths. Coho all out deeper water but no real consensus as to depth mostly 45-55. One guy was catching beauty coho (high teens, really, I saw the scale) at 90 ft. Who knew?
Last couple sessions beat me up with losing eight fish in a row. Felt like a total loser out there, sniff.

Monday am super quiet with only one hook up (yup, lost it) as I popped the rod to check bait. Coho I suspect.

Most fish had empty stomachs so I went a while with a small coyote spoon in bright yellow and orange, to, you know maybe elicit some instinctive hits. All I got for my trouble was shaker after shaker hitting the spoon, complete pain in the posterior. Very few shakers on bait.
A few fish were stuffed with tiny little bass looking things, no idea what they were but dozens of them like 30+ in the gut of one spring. No pics sorry.
Beauty weather for me and my 16 ft aluminum, got around to pretty much anywhere I wanted, especially before 1:00 pm ish.

Thanks for this forum guys, super helpful. Ciao for now!
Also just got back with similar results. Interestingly we also lost more than I can remember, maybe because we were also using smaller gear with smaller hooks? Dunno. Mostly fished the wall to Nanat and had a great day on Sunday, but slower on Mon. Great trip though: Salmon, Bears, Whales, and I had a guy who hadn't fished much before and got him into 2 fish over 20 lbs. Almost better getting someone else their first big fish than playing them myself.

Just heading home myself. Yes, smaller gear, smaller hooks = more pop offs. The smaller size hoochies were catching lots of fish, but because of the small hooks, lost a bunch on that rig. Stopped in briefly for a half hour or so at Swale today. Picked up a 15 pounder on a clear purple haze needlefish hoochy cut down an inch to be shorter. Purple haze flasher with 42in leader. As soon as I caught that one the girlfriend wanted to go home. She was getting pretty tired of the wind and rain and isn't much for trolling. We tried to get offshore yesterday but it was a waste of time. Even at slack tide with 2pounds it was not very fishable. Overall a very nice trip weather aside. The fish seemed to like blue or purple hoochies with a blue or purple flasher. Most Salmon were 30 - 40 feet deep. Some days they liked a short 33 in leader, other days the standard 42 inch leader. Had lots of fun, wish I was staying longer.

On a sour note I blew a bearing on the way back from Ukie tonight. Stuck in Port Alberni. Anyone know a good trailer repair shop in Port. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Must say the weather was much nicer on the South side of the sound most days. Every time I went back to Ukie the weather sucked, Raining and windy there most days. Mostly fished the south side of the Sound. I know how to fish that end much better. Just not fond of doing that nasty dirt road, however I must say the highway isn't much better on the other side. Many sections are potholed dirt until the paving is done. Expect delays during daytime between. 6am and 7 at night. The road is a mess.

It was worth it though because the fishing was pretty good in the sound. Brought one pack of Anchovies and never had to dunk a single one. Hoochies were producing every day with out much time between fish. I only brought back one spring, the GF kept one spring, and a Ling and the rest were released.

Sure wish I could have gotten out for some good Hali fishing, but not worth killing yourself in a smaller boat to beat it offshore in nasty weather. It was super nasty just to get back into ukie harbour this afternoon. Nice to have all the islands in the Sound to hide behind and fish out of the wind. One of the best places on the coast for sure.

Fished swale all from 7 till 4 today , caught about 30 fish under a lb landed a 12lb coho and lost 5 beauty springs 3 to net job and 2 due to buddy first time with a single action reel ... also released about 3 jacks about 8-10lb ... 40-60 feet ... assorted flashers with small spoons and hootchies bait wasnt working.

Fished swale all from 7 till 4 today , caught about 30 fish under a lb landed a 12lb coho and lost 5 beauty springs 3 to net job and 2 due to buddy first time with a single action reel ... also released about 3 jacks about 8-10lb ... 40-60 feet ... assorted flashers with small spoons and hootchies bait wasnt working.

Keep at it. I found more coho farther out from Harbour Entrance/Gibraltar last week. There are springs out there too. Plus if you find some fish(or bait) out there, you can drive around in circles or figure 8s without having to respect all the boats near the shore. Got one at 80 feet but most at 50. Too many shakers to bother with bait. Put on a glow copcar skinny G with a 6' leader behind a white glow flasher; that will work offshore too if you can get out. It hooked at least 20 springs/big cohos to the other side's 6.

Good bite this AM at pill. Picked up 3 springs in fairly short order! Anchovies in a bloody nose teaser head. Fishing 65 and 75 on the riggers. Rainy day out there. Gotta love the west coast weather. Back at it tomorrow.

Reactions: RBL
Back