2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Big shout out to Derby for a great day out there yesterday! Sun was shining, calm seas, some great Chinook in the box! I thought I could grab a rod out of the holder fast....until I met Derby!!

Nice report BL. What's that black thing hanging off the back of Derby's boat:eek:? It may be black but it's still not the true dark side:cool:.

Big shout out to Derby for a great day out there yesterday! Sun was shining, calm seas, some great Chinook in the box! I thought I could grab a rod out of the holder fast....until I met Derby!!

Thank you... the both you are welcome on my boat anytime.. :)

Just got in tonight. 20lb spring at Whitlestone at 40ft blue and white hoochie. I was going to release it but a seal raked it majorly. It just would have died if I let it go. Caught about a 17 I released on a blue and white mini hoochie 35ft. Felix if you want the spring you can have it. I'm staying in grappler tonight. I'm not looking to keep Salmon at this point, maybe later.

Yamaha is not standing up behind their product as you would expect. I blew a 250HP Yammy up a few years ago, 24 miles offshore. Towed it into Bam and then into Port Alberni, took it to the dealer and they said the following:
- its a US origin motor now owned by a Canadian. Yamaha USA won't cover it. If it was still owned by the American that purchased it and it blew up in Canada it would be covered by Yamaha USA. Yamaha Canada said they wouldn't touch it either because it was an American origin motor, and even though it's owned by a Canadian now and it happened it Canada, the motor didn't come from Canada so they said too bad so sad. Thanks Yamaha. 282 hours on it and it blew a valve spring. Diagnosis - faulty valve spring caused by bad metallurgy in the spring itself. The 5 star Yamaha mechanic that did the work for me said in 25 years he has seen this only twice...very rare. 8000 dollars later my US origin deal wasn't so much of a deal. I couldn't believe they wouldn't cover it, and I went through that organization bottom to top. I promptly unloaded it and put on my 5th Suzuki outboard through Breakers Marine in Port. Not very hard to see the writing on the wall in that situation. I know its rare but if something happens to your US motor you likely are up **** creek with no Yamaha support. Support your local Suzuki dealers, they are the best. Just like Xavier said, Gord from Breakers in Bamfield is a great guy to deal with, and you can't go wrong with Suzuki. I can tell you from dealing with these guys for over 10 years that you couldn't ask for better service and products.
Adios Yamaha, I would never go back to your products and it's only a matter of time before people figure this out and switch over.

Derby not happy with Yamaha...Yamaha bad...

Derby replaced one headache with another from his previous 250 yam before the 300 yam. He will be well taken care of via Breakers with his new purchase as long as he isn't hard on it like he is with everything else.

Back to the fishing reports!

It was my girlfriends birthday today. Didn't do any salmon fishing. She just wanted to try some bottom fishing on the inside. Good her a Nice big ling on the inside that we released. Just spent the day tooling around ukie for her bday. Might go out this evening for Some Salmon fishing. Just taking it relaxed and easy today. Forecast sounds nasty for wind, so I don't know if we're going to end up making it offshore for some Hali fishing. Not anywhere near as many boats in the sound as I'm used to seeing. Very nice to be back, love the sound.

Heading up today in my 18 foot boat. Any up to date reports on the wind as there's a Gale warning or the road conditions would help. Thanks in advance.

Went out in the afternoon. Very windy this afternoon. Hid behind any Lees to stay out of the wind. Had 8 springs, 2 coho on the same hoochies and same depths as the last time out Salmon fishing on the south side of the sound. One double header of springs all good size. High teeners, low twenties. Gf kept one twenty, rest were released. Very good fishing the last hour before dark.

Reactions: RBL
Back