2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Little bit late but here it is none the less.

Got back Tues from a 4 night stay in Julia Pass. Arrived Late Friday afternoon. Got settled and had time to go set a couple traps and wet a line for an hour before a late dinner. Lots of small springs in quick order, but nothing we felt deserved the bonker. Sat Morn we made a run for Southwest corner but in light of the forecast decided to stop short at Turtle. Tons of shakers and smaller springs out there. After a few hours we managed a couple ok fish and finished off with a 20LB spring as the wind started building.

Cam with one from Turtle
13932669_10157240678880176_4010913758766515863_n.jpg

Made our way back to Swale and played catch and release (both on purpose and unintentionally). Hit one nice coho about 12lb and lost at least 3 decent fish. On the way in for dinner we pulled the traps and had
a nice little pan of bugs to take back to the shack.

Steve with a decent trap of tasty treats.
14079674_10157240629395176_3753999466309701077_n.jpg

Sunday was still forecasting a pretty good wind off shore so we opted to stay closer to home. Started off just out the front door and proceeded to loose 3 in a row on the first TAC. One being a solid low 20"s and the others teen sized Coho. Ground it out for most of the day on smaller springs and the occasional NICE sized Coho. Lots of fish lost at or near the boat on this day. Most of the guide boats stayed tight to the rocks and we did see quite a few nets out. We decided this trip was more about relaxing and enjoying the beauty and peace that Barkley Sound brings to the table. That said we stayed out of the pack and fished the edges instead. So with a couple smaller springs and a couple Coho in the tub we pulled the traps and headed in for Steak and prawns.

Cam's mouth was watering with the thought of tonight's dinner.
14055167_10157240629410176_2643047382842463539_n.jpg

Steak and fresh caught prawns Thanks to "Chef Steve"
Probably should have let them know I was taking a picture. The boys where a lot happier than they look in the pic.
14022283_10157240629510176_3705909678694344707_n.jpg

Monday was the last day of fishing for us. We started out at Swale and like Sunday lost way more fish than we should have. Managed a nice 14-15lb Coho to get the monkey off our back and then got into a bunch of smaller fish that we released. We did end up keeping a couple more that fell into the "bigger" of the smaller fish category. As the morning came to an end we pulled the pin and headed out a bit to try the mid day tide for some Halibut. No love on that front for us other than a couple nice rock fish of the orange persuasion. On the way back to the shack we decided to drop in at Harbor Entrance, and it payed off quickly. Landed the biggest fish of the trip on the first TAC and lost it's twin boat-side shortly after.
14022080_10157240629275176_8914497923888019100_n.jpg

One more hit and miss after that and there was nothing left to do but go pull the traps for the last time, and go enjoy dinner and drinks before the dreaded packing up begins in the morning.

Sure, with better luck and rod management we could have at least doubled the 10 fish we came home with. As high lighted on one of the Bamfield Fishing report FB pages, we too lost an inordinate amount of fish this trip. Probably would have added even more had we entered the pack and jockeyed for position among the 20 or more boats all on the same TAC . As I mentioned before we chose a more relaxing approach and that proved to be very enjoyable.

For what it is worth,we caught most fish on small 3" glow white spoons with long leaders. Fished anywhere from 25-75 feet. We also got some action on small chovies 6-7 feet behind flasher.

I really enjoyed this trip! One of the keys was that I took the pressure of catching fish off the table and got back to enjoying the place we all love, as well as enjoying the company of good friends that share the love for what Barkley has to offer.

Until the next one. (can't wait!)
Ray
Great report Ray....I know Cam and Steve well from our days with Husky in Lloydminster and with Shell in Fort Saskatchewan. Glad you all had a great time!

by far the best fishing of the year , several spots went off for us ,
good mix of fish , several over 20 , few just shy of 30 ,
huge coho this year , 18 the biggest for me , dont want ta get into locations and cause ciaos on
the guys over there putting there time in , ITS BUSY !! you will figure it out im sure,,,,
small spoons and rubber was all we needed to fill the tub , most were using anchovies i hear ...
no reason ta go offshore in the fog if your lookin for salmon !! seen alot of guides pounding the beaches now too ,

tip...
just because theres 100 boats fishing a specific area , doesnt mean thats the SPOT , move around ,
you may pleasantly rewarded !

enjoy..

back in a week

fd

Thank for the report FD.

Been in Ukee for 2 days. Sketchy seas led me to the Swale-ish area both days. I always think of it as a place for soft fishers as we pound out to the rat's nose or Hyson. Well after a crappy trip offshore last weekend, I'm pleased with the change. Loads of bait, shakers, smalls, mediums and several large ones. More cohos today than yesterday, and some of them are pushing 18 lbs. I got some fish in the line of boats near the rocks, but did just as well and had more fun outside the pinnacles off Gibraltar. There are cohos and springs out there. Left a couple of slots for some salmon by-catch when hali trolling tomorrow. Forecast looks flattish.
Best combo has been the all white glow tape one side/pinky crackly tape on the other with a copcar glow skinny Gibbs. Changed the hook to a size 5 stainless mustad after two big ones fell off and it kept catching.

No! There aren't any fish off the Gibraltar pinnacles!!! LOL

Love that area ever since an ex-commie buddy shared it with me.

Cheers!

Ukee

Spent Friday and Saturday around the Sound. Lots of fish. 10lb to low twenties. Took half a day to get dialled in and then easy limits both days. 30 - 60 on the rigger. Small spoons and 8 foot leaders was what worked for us. Lots of fun getting them in the net with those leaders lol. In my opinion definitely looking like a decent run this year.

Ya I hope I make it too. Kind of up in the air with my buddy whose place were supposed to stay at. He might not be able to get away from work for a few weeks now. I'm hoping that's not the case because the fishing sounds like it's really good right now. I love the sound, so I'm hoping it all goes as planned. Sept fishing is great for the coho, but most of the springs will be done if it ends up being delayed by much. Glad you found the fish. I think your going to need a bigger cooler. I'm jealous. Hope to see you over there soon.

Def sounds like good fishing trying to find somewhere to book now for the
Is week head over for 5 days

So leaving sunday night to head to ucluelet never fished the area before but have friends who do and they usually fish at big bank , i prefer inside waters but dont mind going off shore have a 22 foot alexis os ob with a 225 been in some nasty stuff before in rupert ...

Is it quite a good haul if i want to fish some places in barkley sound towards bamfield and such??

At first i wanted to stay in bamfield but ive read horror stories about about the road in ..

Any suggestions for a new comer to the area would be greatly appreciated i fish nootka and rupert but looking to explore the area thanks in advance

So leaving sunday night to head to ucluelet never fished the area before but have friends who do and they usually fish at big bank , i prefer inside waters but dont mind going off shore have a 22 foot alexis os ob with a 225 been in some nasty stuff before in rupert ...

Is it quite a good haul if i want to fish some places in barkley sound towards bamfield and such??

At first i wanted to stay in bamfield but ive read horror stories about about the road in ..

Any suggestions for a new comer to the area would be greatly appreciated i fish nootka and rupert but looking to explore the area thanks in advance

When going to bamfield launch in port alberni run to bamfield little over an hour go early morning to avoid the winds

Popular spots on the South-side of the Broken Group are all within half an hour of the ukee harbour mouth (12-15 miles depending on route you take and assuming you cruise in the 25-30 mph range). That includes Austin/Cree/Meares bluff as well as the Gibraltar area, Swale is a bit further. Much closer are Sail Rock, Mara Rock, Great Bear and Alley, Chrow Island and Beg Island. This time of year there should be a ton of coho getting to be a good size available right at the harbour entrance and all around the Beg Island, Food Islets and Chrow Island area. There are usually chinook in those areas if there is bait. While not inside, Red Can, Little Beach, Amphitrite, Wya Pt and Florencia Bay are all in close along the shore just outside of Ukee. Also many good banks not nearly as far as Big Bank/Rats Nose, like Turtle's head, inside and outside South Bank, Lighthouse, Starfish, Hyson, the Egg, etc.

Cheers!

Ukee

Don't waste your time running all the way out to the Big Bank.The fish are along the surfline and in the sound

Back from a great trip in Barkley. Went with my wife and stayed in Bamfield Harbour Sat, Sun, Mon night. Kids stayed at home with the grandparents. I might add, our 13th Anniversary would occur during the trip...lucky, I know.

Eventful run out as my hydraulic steering failed 80% of the way out to Bamfield from PA; not a fun feeling:mad::(. HUUUGE thank you to Gord from Breakers Marine for fixing my steering! One of the best experiences with a mechanic in my life! Has owned the business for 30 years and helps boaters in a "crisis" non-stop on a Sunday.

The place we stayed was awesome too. In fact, too good to give public props to. It's small and I love going back. That is why Trip Advisor is what it is I guess.

Sunday, late aft. was the roughest I have ever seen it at the Wall in the summer. Waves were literally going over the top of our 17.5 Double Eagle Hard Top and had to head in.

Monday was the day we all dream of as sport fisherman. We make a right turn out of the harbour, troll 30 minutes and at 6:15 am have a screaming hit. I grab the buckling rod, ask my wife to steer. Fifteen seconds later I ask her to get the other rod. She tells me to, "make up your mind...you just asked me to steer!"

The other rod started screamin' too...DOUBLE HEADER! Her fish swam towards the boat. Decided to leave mine way back on the surface, tightened down the drag, and maintained 2.5 mph to keep pressure on the fish in the rod holder. Her fish was also on the surface, close to the boat...by leaving it way back I figured we could avoid tangled lines. Five minutes later, her fish was in the boat.

Even though the other rod went slack for a few seconds after a couple surface dances and runs; it was still there! Landed the double header; both 20 pound clones.

We had trolled about a half mile perpendicular to shore by this time to get out of everyones way. There were some big Woohoos!!! when both were on board. We made our way back in shore and started trolling again. Next thing you know, everyone around us was a half mile off-shore! Don't think they knew we dragged them out there.

We then trolled down towards Danvers Islet. As we crossed the reef of off Danvers what da ya know...DOUBLE HEADER. We get them both in. My wife says with a sad face, "does that mean we are done?"

I look down and say, "No, that it is a huuuge hatchery Coho!"

It didn't take long to get our 8th and final Spring after throwing two more 12-14lb'ers back. I like my guys trips each year, but this was just awesome. Slept in on Tuesday am and ran back down the canal in beautiful weather.

Limit of Springs were all 36 to 48 feet for us. Half were caught on a commercial version Silver Horde SB2 spoon, 6 feet behind a green/chrome flasher. The other half were on a - mangled by the end - Gibbs Skinny G, Green and white glow, same flasher, same leader length. Our Springs and the steroid infused Coho were all caught from the Wall to Danvers.

P.S. I know there has been lots of doom and gloom but I have been fishing these dates there for some time. My inexact, anecdotal, unscientific opinion is that this is a pretty darn good, if not very strong run.

Last edited:
Thanks guys thats alot of good info def going to start closer work my way out to the farther spots if fishing isnt hot looking forward to the trip

Back