2016 Alberni Inlet

Aunt and Uncle are staying at China creek for 5 days. They fished first light till noon and landed one spring. Very slow fishing by the sounds of it for this time of year. Hopefully a push of fish come in just in time for my trip stating on Wednesday.

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject:
FN0905-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Chinook - Area 23 - Information Update - August 26, 2016.

In-season information from Area 23 recreational fisheries, distant fishery
indicators, observed terminal catches of earlier returning NWVI chinook stocks,
and observed terminal net and recreational catch in Area 23, all suggest that
the pre-season forecast of Somass/RCH chinook is too optimistic.

Although in-season indices of terminal run size have a high level of
uncertainty, all four sources suggest the terminal return is likely half of the
pre-season forecast.

At the August 25th, 2016 Area 23 Harvest Committee Meeting the expected run
size was re-classified into the 'moderate' zone. For fishery planning purposes,
an expected run size of 60,000 will be used. This forecast will be reviewed
over the next two weeks as additional terminal catch and escapement data
becomes available.

As a result, there are no planned commercial fisheries for Area D or Somass
First Nations Economic Opportunity fisheries next week (Aug 28th to September
3rd, 2016). The next possible opening for Area D is September 5th. This will be
determined after the next Area 23 Harvest Committee meeting on Thursday,
September 1st.

China creek update:

Uncle fished the past 2 days from 5:30am-1pm. Yesterday he landed a 13lb spring and a small coho. Today he landed 2 coho. Said fishing has been very slow compared to his previous years. He did not see many other Chinook caught. Hopefully it turns on soon!

I fished the inlet on the weekend, about 4 hours each morning. For our efforts we ended up with one decent coho. We only saw one other fish landed, and the cleaning tables at China creek were pretty much deserted. The guys that ran down to the sound seemed to fair a little better.

We were out yesterday morning at Hohm island and got a spring and coho. Saw about 8 to 10 fish landed between 6 am to 8am. White hootchie was working for us.

The nets have been out in the inlet. You might as well run to the sound. Not many boats out in the inlet and I don't think much is being caught inside right now.

There are lots of fish running up the river and therefore must be making it through the inlet. With the rain they may just push right through but hopefully by the weekend salmon derby the sun will shine and the fish will be biting once again.

anybody catchin' coho out in the upper inlet? I would like to try one more time out fishing in the canal soon.
We fished from 5:45 - 10:00 this am from Polly's Pt to Lone Tree towards China Creek and across to Cous Creek. Thankfully saw a large bear walking around Cous Creek to break up the monotony of staring at rods all morning :) No many boats about and didn't see anything played.

While loading at Clutesi, boat beside us said that Kirby was good yesterday for large Coho (green everything with anchovies being the main attractor).

Derby's correct, still some decent fishing out there. We fished Friday to Sunday and had pretty steady action. Nanat to the wall. Had a heartbreaker at the mouth of Bamfield harbour and lost a 30 plus right at the side of the boat.....after a long battle. Buddy landed an 18 lb coho...will post some pics in a bit.

Derby's correct, still some decent fishing out there. We fished Friday to Sunday and had pretty steady action. Nanat to the wall. Had a heartbreaker at the mouth of Bamfield harbour and lost a 30 plus right at the side of the boat.....after a long battle. Buddy landed an 18 lb coho...will post some pics in a bit.

Bruce Lee, what is the lure of choice.... I was out there to on Friday, managed a couple but definitely wouldn't call it steady action.... I'm guessing spoons? As I had no love with Hoochies or Bait....

Bruce Lee, what is the lure of choice.... I was out there to on Friday, managed a couple but definitely wouldn't call it steady action.... I'm guessing spoons? As I had no love with Hoochies or Bait....
We fished anchovies the whole time. Various teasers, short leaders, 39 to 50 ft. Shallower in the early morning. Another boat caught some nice cohos on Sunday a.m. on spoons....didnt say what kind they were though. Purple haze flasher worked better than red or green in the morning.

Reactions: RBL
We fished Assist, Pill Point, Swale and the Wall sunday with anchovies, hootchies and spoons. Never had a hit from 7am-2pm. Went and got a room at Poetts Nook and fished from 4pm-8pm. Landed 2 coho (13 and 15 lb) on Glow White hootchie at 45 ft. on the rigger. Monday fished from 6am to 2pm not one hit on anything we tried. One boat came in with 1 coho and 1 spring caught on Irish Cream spoon, 70 ft. on the rigger outside the Nook. Few and far in-between.

Back