2016 Alberni Inlet

Who would I trust....a casual sports guy who hits it "hard" or guides who pound it out day after day year after year probably keeping journals who goes to DFO meetings, researches on their own, submits heads to find out where the fish are from.....hmmmmmm

Have a conversation with someone who's made it their living on your local waters and keep your ears open.

Who would I trust....a casual sports guy who hits it "hard" or guides who pound it out day after day year after year probably keeping journals who goes to DFO meetings, researches on their own, submits heads to find out where the fish are from.....hmmmmmm

Have a conversation with someone who's made it their living on your local waters and keep your ears open.

I don't think anyone's saying the guides are over inflating how good the fishing been. The inlet, the sound, and offshore are very different areas. This is the thread for the inlet, and guys obviously want to get a feel for how the fishing is going to be in the Canal shortly. No one is doubting the guides when they say the fishing has been very good. But that is comparing apples to oranges on this thread. Traditionally the guys who fish the inlet have a little smaller boat, or maybe they get seasick, either way they're not looking to fish offshore. It's great the guys working the outside or offshore have been getting into fish. As the real origin of the fish out there can not be positively made, it is a big guessing game as to how many of those fish are headed back to the canal. That's all most guys want to try and figure out on this thread, how's the fishing going to be in the canal in a little bit. Great fishing offshore doesn't necessarily translate into great fishing in the canal if a high percentage of the fish being caught are of US origin. No one is looking to dispute the guides fishing results. I'm sure you guys are doing great out there, and thank you for your reports. Guys on this thread are looking for some perspective on what the fishing is like in the canal. Heck, if the fishing is as good as they're predicting maybe I'll head over to Alberni in a week or so, but I'm waiting to hear some great reports from the canal first. So how Bout it guys, who's fishing the canal for springs and having some luck? It's a beautiful sunny weekend, there must be lots of boats out in the canal. How about some reports.

Last edited:
Might as well come on over and get the lines in the water. Chances are you will get some nice Chinook. That's what I'm going to do!!!

Still trying to make up my mind where to go, or if it's really worth going over at this point.

Derby guides out of Barkley, as do all his buds. He also sells gear to lots of guides. Botched run forecasts are bad for business. The fact you got jumped on, for even slightly questioning anything has been status quo for years around this forum.

ON a positive note, friends just back from 3 days in Barkely. Fished 3 days. Killed 12 springs to 24lbs. Fishing was steady although I doubt this is a start of 117,000 fish moving into the sound. lol

Haahhaha..... :D....Lorne cannot believe u finely took the bait..u been lurking for a while in the weeds and it took that one to get u out..lol :rolleyes:

Perhaps instead of simply being dismissive, and patronizing, you could speak to the actual numbers if you are so in the know. Has the Conuma run been officially downgraded to 30 thousand fish as reported on the Nootka thread. Because if that is true, then it's not a long stretch to imagine the same over optimistic forecast occurred with the Robertson Creek run as well.

Are you with the Port Alberni Chamber of Commerce, or perhaps in charge of promoting the Labor Day Salmon derby or something. Anyone who questions the fishing being anything less than superlative in Alberni this season is being attacked by some like they are heretics, or something equally evil.

Maybe it's time to stop drinking the Purple Cool aid the DFO spoon feeds you at those meetings. Just saying, there's more than one side to a coin.

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize if I offend you or hurt your feeling in anyway...:eek:

I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize if I offend you or hurt your feeling in anyway...:eek:

You did not hurt my feelings derby, it is merely a difference of opinion, and that is all good. I totally respect guides taking time from their busy days to file reports. I apologize as well, if I made some remarks that were out of line and offended you. Maybe I'll see you out there, I love fishing Bamfield & the Sound. Have a great summer.

holy faaaak ,
change ur tampons , go fish and enjoy the summer ,
nothing is a guarantee ...
id rather be in my boat whining about where the fish are !!
vs not fishing and whining on here about it !!
give it a shake...

fd

OK you made my mind up for me. I'm going to Poets Nook, and I'm going to circle your boat all day with my special Salmon repelling wiring job I wired up into my Ali hull just for you Felix. Just Kiddin FD, thanks for all the fishing reports this season, and over the years :)

2nd hand report but from a few good friends. Fish have arrived and are being caught at lone tree, China creek wall and the narrows

Awesome that's great to hear. Right on schedule. This is exactly when I'd expect they'd start showing up on a normal year. Thanks for the report.

Take it for what it is worth. But came in yesterday from Barkley Sound and the Fisheries Census lady was at the cleaning table. She reported that numerous Chinook have been caught out at China Creek on sockeye gear. She even said that someone came in with 4..... Again take it for what it is worth.

Back