2016/2017 Winter boat projects

I really like those Laguna Searays, great ride and fit and finish,worth spending the many hours required to improve an already great boat. It's a rare boat these days,nice work.

Did you make the mold for the top? How was that, on a difficulty scale 1-10? If it wood core or foam?
Looks good want one

Thanks guys, yeah I actually impressed myself with how it finished LOL

Bones, the mold was made from 2x8s that I cut a curve in with a jig saw and then screwed 1/4 ply to.
Covered it with counter top arbrite and used modelling clay to radius the edges.
1/2 inch foam core except areas I needed to mount things, these areas I used 1/2 ply.
On a scale of 1-10 I would say it was a 5 for technical but lots of elbow grease.
If I were to do it again I would defiantly spend more time finishing the mold and less time finishing the top, also do the fg work in the summer and not in a cold unheated garage.

All in including $400 for an industrial sewing machine to sew up the new enclosure it cost me $2100 and and 4 million hrs, most of which were learning to sew:D

I really like those Laguna Searays, great ride and fit and finish,worth spending the many hours required to improve an already great boat. It's a rare boat these days,nice work.
Thx Rayvon, without question the delta pad on these hulls was a winner, slippery and smooth!
With 400hp she's a rocket and its gotta get pretty ugly to need to throttle it back.
Sadly they priced themselves out of the market with the Laguna line up......

Quite a list of things to do on the boat. Perfect timing cause it's too cold for me.
-install new bilge/switch
- rework wiring (I've made the fuel/wires all internal, but I'm going to redo the connections/lengths to make things cleaner)

View media item 386

Spent a couple hours lifting up the floorboards, vacuuming/wiping up grave and grime. Boat should drain a little better now.
You have to go into your media file and make the pictures available for public viewing.

Try this again. Lots to do on the boat right now. Got the floor boards lifted, vacuumed the grit/grime from underneath. New bilge/switch to be installed in a couple days. After that there'll be some new wiring that'll need to take place to clean things up. Will also need to re-add some new foam to replace the bit that was water logged. Any suggestions on what to get ?

Attachments

• IMG_3575.JPG
    IMG_3575.JPG
    344.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_3576.JPG
    IMG_3576.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 131
If I was re-foaming an aluminum boat, personally I'd use sections of rigid foam insulation (assuming of course that the floorboards reattach sturdily).

I think there's potentially a danger with aluminum that you'll end up re-saturating the foam and trapping salt water against the hull and putting it in contact with a large, conductive, corrosive substance. With rigid foam you can a) ensure some air and water flow around it if you have the ability to bilge it out, and b) if you pull the deck again down the road you can just lift the foam out and check or replace it.

I've read that rigid foam has a tendency to squeak under the floor as the hull flexes.

I used the rigid stuff when building mine, I used that PL construction adhesive to glue it to the underside of the floor.
It took a little bit of measuring to cut and fit it between the cross braces but as mentioned I didn't want it down on the aluminium.
Been under there for 9 years now with no problems.

I used the rigid stuff when building mine, I used that PL construction adhesive to glue it to the underside of the floor.
It took a little bit of measuring to cut and fit it between the cross braces but as mentioned I didn't want it down on the aluminium.
Been under there for 9 years now with no problems.

What brand of foam did you ? How much per square foot you figure it ran ya?

Not sure the brand ( dow ?) was just the pink/blue foam board from home depot, comes in 2x8' sheets.
Sorry don't remember the cost now but it wasn't too crazy or I would have remembered the sting lol

My project is to figure out how to mount rod holders in a runabout hull so that they work with or without my standup canvas top. Trying to avoid transom mount though, would make the area too cluttered.

You know, I had the same situation. My downriggers do have the holders but thought I might like my rods a little closer to the seats for those occasions when I troll the surface or close to shore. I don't know if you know a guy who can cut the shapes but this is what I came up with.
IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG

well my winter project is complete lol riggers are mounted and ready to catch some fish!

E05F7630-E866-4088-A05F-CC56097C7125_zpspzazewgv.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Never did any real FG work but the top came out of the mold pretty good for a first timer.
Had the aluminium powder coated just to keep it looking nice a little longer.
Beautiful work Sr.SQ. You have a second career in the making :)

I think its cost me a few brain cells (the weak ones) but I got the floor glassed and the vinyl down. Turned out pretty good I think.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Back