2016/2017 Winter boat projects

My project is to figure out how to mount rod holders in a runabout hull so that they work with or without my standup canvas top. Trying to avoid transom mount though, would make the area too cluttered.

I have to install a new rubrail as well since I damaged about three feet and can't find a replacement piece.

Gungadin where are you sourcing your rubrail?

Because my little boat did not have rub rails, I did not have to match up the profile. You may need to. I bought it as a complete http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10047|11324 kit Taco Marine has a downloadable catalogue that should show you a match. Unfortunately, most of them are only available in long lengths. My local marine store could get me what I wanted, but for 200 $ more.
If you only need to replace a short section, perhaps a local builder might have some extra.

My project is to figure out how to mount rod holders in a runabout hull so that they work with or without my standup canvas top. Trying to avoid transom mount though, would make the area too cluttered.

You could buy the Scotty base for your downrigger (if you own Scotty's) that adds two extra rod holders per downrigger. No drilling or mounting required that way.

I don't use the holders on my downriggers because I have them mounted well aft to prevent line fouling in tight turns. I have gunwale mounted Orcas for the rods. Yes I suppose I could use the holders on the riggers, but that puts the rods right in the rear quadrant where most fish action takes place. Not much better than a vertical holder mounted centre transom. Unless I'm missing something... do you have pics or a video that shows how it would work?

I think he means these ?

247_DualRod_Holder.gif

Yes that's what I got from his post, but it would be adding clutter in an area I want to be clear.

Well I do believe I could make something like that work. Any comments on how it performs? Would you change anything if you were doing it again?

I have my riggers mounted in the rear corners with those holders and we dont have any issues with them being in the way

Attachments

• IMG_6041.JPG
    IMG_6041.JPG
    317.5 KB · Views: 124
I have my riggers mounted in the rear corners with those holders and we dont have any issues with them being in the way
Looks to me like you have rocket launcher rod holders mounted on the hardtop, so your spare rods are up there and out of the way whilst fishing with the riggers. That's a nice setup but I don't have a hardtop and I often fish alone so I don't always have someone keeping the boat aligned nicely to keep the fish coming in to the aft quarter. Spare rods stored in holders on the rigger arms would be right in the way if the fish decides to run across the stern. My riggers are mounted even further aft than yours, it's awkward to grab the rod from the holder on the rigger so I put them in holders mounted about 2 ft forward of the rigger.

Another member used 3 of these down each side up front near the windshield. This will keep your spare rods more up front and out of the way. You could also get rail mount

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_RocketLauncher_Reel_241L.gif
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_RocketLauncher_Reel_241L.gif
    12 KB · Views: 68
That looks good to me Bones, I can start with the two I already have since they don't get any use on my riggers!

Back