2015 Tuna Adventures

Sculpin

I just renewed my Terrafin subscription so I had to lol :D.

If you don't have a subscription to this valuable resource I highly recommend it for this fishery. It takes a bit of time and a few trips to get the hang of it but it is accurate IMO.

It was a bit of a weird last year for these addicting creatures water wise. Still had a great time chasing them.
Got out a few times and the shoot out was a total blast again!

Goals for this coming season:

6 man life raft for the boat.

Pull off a dead bait stop.

Possible trip up Island to fish out of Winter Harbour.

As always, get a couple of newbies addicted lol.

How many more days Jay :p:)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sculpin,
I got a great deal on a 6 man raft last year from GA Checkpoint in Port Moody 604-461-3434
I drove up from Seattle the deal was so good. They had made a bulk purchase of 40 plus rafts from a wholesaler. The rafts were brand new but our of certification. They can be re certified in Everett wa. for 5-600 dollars. The certification is only needed if you run a commercial trip, there are food items and flares ect.. in the kit that need re certified to be legal on a guide boat but not on a personal water craft. Good luck and hopefully I'll be coming up to the Tuna Shoot out this year it sounds like a real party.

Thanks for the tip. What brand of life raft are we talking about?

Love your location :p:).

That would be really cool to see some of you brothers up here next year :cool:.

Ahh, I.ve been pretty distracted by hunting season and last year was weird so I'll have to shake off last year and start the counter i guess,

Ahh, I.ve been pretty distracted by hunting season and last year was weird so I'll have to shake off last year and start the counter i guess,

I understand. I didn't get out hunting once this year :(. Between tuna and work (paying for tuna), not a single day in the field. Lot's of scouting and looking however. That gets me ready for this season. One thing that I am going to do next year is bring the bow (trad gear) to the shoot out and go hunting on days off. Sorry we didn't hook up for a hunt. Gotta pay the bills.

Weird year for tuna for sure. Hopefully the stars align better this year. I think it was weird all around including the commercial fleet.

It won't stop me from chasing the illusive long fins :cool:.

I wont stop either but I will take July seriously from now on for my best day was at the top of July last year. That was pretty much my only good day last year and it was the best day, well 1/2 day, I ever had fishing tuna. I sure hope I have my suspension bases figured out by then.

I wont stop either but I will take July seriously from now on for my best day was at the top of July last year. That was pretty much my only good day last year and it was the best day, well 1/2 day, I ever had fishing tuna. I sure hope I have my suspension bases figured out by then.

Your cabin is enclosed so imo I would just go with trucker seats like mine. You have lots of room for an air compressor etc. Cheaper option with really plush seats. Bostrom makes lowrider model's with about 4" of travel and if you pump them up enough you will never bottom out:).

Sculpin,

Let me know if you decide you will be making a trip up our way. It would be no problem for me to put together a group of guys to head out off Brooks. Lot's of guys in the area that are addicts and tons of knowledge of the area. Have some great connection in WH for accommodations and fuel. Only have to travel 20-35 miles out of WH too.

I know it's a long way out but before you know it it will be Sept. Generally the best time to be fishing up this way.

Cheers

Sculpin,

Let me know if you decide you will be making a trip up our way. It would be no problem for me to put together a group of guys to head out off Brooks. Lot's of guys in the area that are addicts and tons of knowledge of the area. Have some great connection in WH for accommodations and fuel. Only have to travel 20-35 miles out of WH too.

I know it's a long way out but before you know it it will be Sept. Generally the best time to be fishing up this way.

Cheers

Thanks Wade. I will talk to you for sure this Spring before lining something up. I think it would be really cool. If I can get work under control I was thinking about doing a Sculpin tuna tour of the Island this year!!! :D.

Sounds good, checking out new scenes and new anglers is alway fun.

Pop by and say hi if your at the Puyallup show

Sounds good, checking out new scenes and new anglers is alway fun.

Pop by and say hi if your at the Puyallup show

I'm going down with the wife this year to rack up brownie points lol. I might be able to talk her into it if there is an outlet mall near Puyallup ;).

I think firelight is wearing your hat from last year :). Good booth you have going on there man! :cool:.

My son convinced me that this year we're going to try Tuna fishing.

Starting to build up the equipment needed. Figure I'll get most of the rest between the Van and Seattle boat shows.

Going to have to start going through all the Tuna threads again.

And so it begins. Last year was a slow year for me on tuna. I had hoped for a better year after moving the boat to Westport to shorten the distance between me and the tuna. But alas, we had several days with small handfuls of fish but never a really good day. This year, I'm adding a bait bag to the boat and we'll be giving live bait a try out of Ilwaco (I'll be there Aug 15-Oct. 15). Last year was my first year of trolling swimbaits and many of my fish came on swimbaits. This year, swim baits will get more attention. The nice thing about them is that they continue to fish even after the boat has slowed down or come to a stop. Still, I'm looking forward to getting the live bait approach worked out.

Started collecting the gear.

Wow, this is gonna cost a bit to get well prepared for. We'll see what the boat shows might have to offer.

Might have to arrange a visit to a client around the Fred Hall shows in either Long Beach or San Diego.
http://www.fredhall.com

Dam...... That was a tease

Old Blue, myself and 2 other members did the Rampage last year. It was a really fishy boat. Wish they took a bit better care of my fish. A bit lazy bleeding them, and filleting them. Meat was left on the fish and blood line was not removed. They filleted them as a race between deckhands. It's not how I want my fish handled. If I did it again Id pack my fish home whole to have processed locally...... Should ask if they have fix and cleaned their passanger head. Big complaint by many for years. I couldnt even go into it. They made clients plung it when it blew back all over the place. Then had clients spray bleach and hose out with raw water. It was disgusting........ Deckhands and captain had their own private head.

That is exactly ones of the reasons Gary went from the Rampage over to the Ranger. The head was messed up years ago when he was last on it. He also commented on better care of the fish on the Ranger all round. Netting instead of gaffing the fish to start. There is a video of a Rampage trip too if you google it. Because of the gaffing the decks are a blood bath and the guys fishing are having problems with traction and are slipping around. Dumb in my option. An accident waiting to happen, especially with older folk.

My understanding is that the Rampage captain also has a regular habit of belittling/harassing his guests. OK for those with thick skins but some just don't have fun fishing with him. IMO a guided trip should be fun.

Back