2015 Tofino Reports

Sculpin

Can't have a reports section without Tuffcity thrown in the mix :D.

I've been super busy with work and moving into a new to me house etc. lately. Really hard to get out fishing right now. I haven't been out since the Loggers Derby :eek:!

With all the reports lately on the home waters etc. I finally snapped and had enough. I needed a break. I booked a trip for firelight and myself with our buddy Shawn Hillier owner of Ospray Charters out of Tofino.

It felt great to get offshore again :).

We started with hali's in the morning. Total blast and so fun to catch.

We then had to decide if we were going to go for lings or salmon and decided on salmon. We went 3 for 7 in the afternoon. Chovies down deep seemed to be the hot lure this day. Two misses on the green and white needle fish hootchie for an honorable mention. All clipped red Columbian's. Thank you America.

Back at the dock.

Great day on the water with a couple of great guy's. We went to Gary's for dinner afterwards and shot the **** for quite a while.
Thanks again for getting us out there Shawn. It's always a blast fishing with you :cool:.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report man! Gotta love the offshore fishery...,glad you got a break from the grind... Always a seat for you n Todd in my boat, no hassle just show up n fish ! Anytime !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on Tofino fishing? Coming up this weekend with a group

There's Chinooks at Portland pt and 2 humps and lots of Halibut off the Lighthouse as well .

There's Chinooks at Portland pt and 2 humps and lots of Halibut off the Lighthouse as well .

Thanks! Sounds like we are going to be fishing out of Poets Nook Area now instead.

Tofino last week

Here's a quick delayed report from my 2 day trip last week in Tofino. This was our 3rd time with Shawn at Ospray Charters, we only missed out last year as I had to get married.....the sacrifices we make.

Weather was awesome and the wind settled down nicely from the big winds that had been forecast days earlier.

Halibut was our main goal and we were not disappointed both days. Easy limits in the 18-28lb range with 2 bigger fish lost as they decided to run in the other gear, one of which was on a salmon head and was probably oversized anyways. This was my first time fishing on anchor and I loved it, Shawns got such a quick easy setup that you're on anchor lickity split and then up in minutes and off salmon fishing.

Salmon fishing day 1 was solid steady action with our largest spring topping out at 24.5lbs.

Day 2 for salmon was a little tougher to find bites and they weren't anywhere near as aggressive as the day before. A few good fish came unglued but we still got more than enough to the boat to keep the wives happy ;)

Looking forward to next year.

Attachments

• Us.jpg
    Us.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 907
  • Me.jpg
    Me.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 907
I'm going to go try my luck in Clayquot Sound tomorrow for a little day trip with a buddy. Never fished there so it should be a lot of hunting around and discovering things. Hoping to get into some coho. We are going to try Coomes Bank area and perhaps around Bartlett Island. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Looks like it's going to be a beauty day tomorrow.

Fished Friday in Clayquot Sound, first time out there fishing. It was a beautiful day but the fishing was not good. We got 1 beauty 8lb coho and that's it. The reports at the boat launch in Tofino was that fishing had been slow for this time of year. We fished the inside around Calmus Passage, Monk Rock, out and around Bartlett Island, Farther Charles Channel. Trolled, cast zingers while trolling, bucktail down the middle, small spoons, big spoons, hootchies. We gave it a good honest effort but the fish just weren't there yet. Would really like to try it again but need to know the fish are in. Here's a pic showing the day's scenery and my buddies old school rod and reel (it was the one that got the only fish).

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 236
Back