2015 Silva Bay Derby

Hot Rods

The Silva Bay Derby is scheduled for Fathers Day weekend again this year. June 20-21. Always looking for new sponsors so let us know if you can donate or have a business friend who might want to help. 100% of the proceeds go to the Nanaimo River Community Fish Hatchery. Email me if you can help. clydewicks@telus.net

You can count me in for a donation this year. I will pass the word around :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a Silva Bay Derby website for Sponsorship options? Reason being as a sponsor what do companies that sponsor get back? Sounds self serving but companies see value is sponsorship's if they get exposure. It's good for the derby and the sponsors.

Your exposure will be that you helped the Nanaimo River Hatchery that has had their budget cut to the bone. Main staff haven't had a raise in about 15 years and are running on empty. It's not about what you get out of it, it's about giving back to the fish. Like Clyde posted, 100% of the proceeds go to the hatchery. I would really like to see more derby's take this initiative. I keep pushing for more of this type of action with the more derby's I enter. I am not a derby fisherman and never have been, but I love giving back to the fish :).

I sincerely hope some other company's can step up and donate to the cause :cool:.

I totally here you and yes it's a great cause but as I said if you can give something back like exposure most likely the derby sponsorship would grow. It's like anything with out change everything will stay the same, how could the sponsorship drive be more effective in recruiting sponsors, donations and even ticket sales? Develop a website with a donation online payment option as well as sponsorship options and exposure for the sponsors. If there's a site it's easier to advertise the derby via a link on other sites like Tourism Vancouver Island and the list goes on. You have to give everyone something to dig their teeth into, you could even sell your derby tickets online as well from the site. Offering tax recepts is another sell in which case when purchasing any of the products online would then offer a printable receipt. Plus it doesn't require staff for these sales the site does it all. There's so many missed opportunities the way it sits to take advantage of, but not doing anything different isn't going to help make things better. It sounds like the workers are long overdue for a raise 15 years is a long time.

I agree with all the points you have posted but you will have to PM hotrods for more information about the changes. I could be wrong about the 15 year thing but it was through conversation a few years ago and at that time it was 12, so if the case, these guy's need help period!

Is there going to be a ladder derby this year in Ukee? My understanding is most of the proceeds go towards salmon.

I'm just a joe blow. I do not charter. I like to give to causes. I expect nothing in return. I kill fish every year and I want to give back to the fish :cool:. This concept should be broadcasted as much as possible. Through forums like this or elsewhere.

It is up to us, the sports fishers to see that these fish are around for our children to see and their children to see and experience.

I think the Ukee derby is out the window as being summer long derby I believe the overhead and commitment made it tough not to mention a couple key individuals no longer live in the community. Be good to see another derby start here in Ukee, I think there's a few things on the go that have taken a high priority in the angling world as far as Ukee how ever once the dust settles would be fun to get one going again. We used to donate to Thornton Creek Hatchery each month and have slipped away for a bit now but will be getting back on the horse again. I've been thinking of getting left over eggs from the hatcheries and loading those scotty incubator boxes then hitting a few streams that seem dormant see if I could spark up some return fish. Be neat to see spawners 4 years later. Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the comments guys. Like many of you, I have spent decades pursuing fish and enjoying every minute of it. I am thankful for the guys (and girls) who came before us and helped maintain our access to the resource. We all have to 'pay it forward' in any way we can so our kids and grandkids can carry on the tradition. That can be as simple as supporting events that benefit our community fish hatcheries or other related groups, joining the BCWF or becoming active on committees that represent us.

Last year's Silva Bay derby was our most successful ever. We had to move the Sunday afternoon BBQ to the parking lot because the deck would not hold the crowd. We handed out hundreds of prizes and everyone got a free burger and a chance at a top of the line Lowrance sounder...all for an entry fee of $25 and, we raised $6,200 for the Nanaimo River Community Fish Hatchery. This year's event is already looking great and we hope to be telling you about some pretty neat new sponsors shortly.

You might want to call as soon as possible if you plan to stay overnight at the marina.

I'll dig some donations from the usually suspects for your great event...keep up the good work...:)

Thanks Rob. I think this is a good place to acknowledge all the contributors. The big news this week is Yamaha and Rob Parker from Parker marine have donated a 9.9 Yamaha. It will be awarded to the angler weighing-in the largest chinook. Harbour Chandler has again donated a Lowrance Sounder as a draw prize from all entrants.

Hi Hot Rods - I hope that you don't mind me stating that I was able to confirm that AMUNDSON will be donating again this year. They have indicated that they will offer up a High end mooching rod & Reel combo as well as some prizes for kids who will be participating in the event.

Still working on more for you... :)

Kind regards,
Robert

Some great prizes coming in for the Silva Bay Derby. Just picked up a great smoker and a large Coleman cooler from Wholesale Sports. Scotty supplied a couple of electric downriggers and Jughead came through with a bunch of stuff and $250 that will go to an angler catching a fish on a Jughead lure. Vartan at Ace Haulers has donated another trap puller and we are all waiting to see what masterpiece Skulpin creates for us. Should be well over $12,000 in prizes this year. Tickets are now available at HC, Gone Fishin and PNT as well as a few places on Gabriola.

Hey hot rod
Any other options for buying tickets for us gulf islanders that would like to join but dont make it to nanaimo to buy tickets? Sounds like a great event and would love to make it up there if possible!
Cheers

. I've been thinking of getting left over eggs from the hatcheries and loading those scotty incubator boxes then hitting a few streams that seem dormant see if I could spark up some return fish. Be neat to see spawners 4 years later. Have a great weekend.
That would be something you would never do, wink wink. since , wink wink, that would be illegal.........................

Tickets are available at Silva Bay Marina and Pages on Gabriola. I think they still consider that a Gulf Island. I could also do some on the honour system where you send me the money and I leave your tickets at the weigh in station. Did that last year for a few guys from the Vancouver side and it worked out. Have had a few guys ask about mailing tickets. They will not be fishing but just want to support the derby and the hatchery and get in on the draw for the Lowrance sounder. Send me a PM if you need to work something out.

Hey hot rod
Any other options for buying tickets for us gulf islanders that would like to join but dont make it to nanaimo to buy tickets? Sounds like a great event and would love to make it up there if possible!
Cheers

That would be something you would never do, wink wink. since , wink wink, that would be illegal.........................

Yup, highly illegal and possibly detrimental to any remaining indigenous salmonids - thus the reason why it is illegal. Best that we leave those decisions to the pro's and focus on providing the cash that helps fund properly constructed recovery efforts.

This is a great event/cause and well worth companies coming on board with donations to the extent they can. Thanks for all your efforts to make this happen.

Thanks hot rod.
I will talk to my old man and try to get him onboard! If so i would be happy to send money on the honour system! Will pm you when i have a confirmation from the old man.

Cheers

We're up to over 100 prizes for the derby now. Includes the Lowrance HD sounder, 9.9 Yamaha motor, Scotty electric downriggers, smoker, Ace trap puller, quality rod and reels, assorted fishing gear, cash, etc. etc. etc. Even a $250 cash prize drawn from all the fish caught on Jughead lures. Prizes awarded for chinook, coho, ling, halibut, sole and rockfish. Several prizes available (by draw) in the released chinook (legal size) category. Simply put your name on the released fish weigh in sheet. And, as is tradition, a prize is awarded for the best hat at the prize presentation ceremony.

You can help support the local fish hatchery and the derby even if you are unable to fish. Simply buy a $25 derby ticket and you may walk away with the Lowrance sounder without wetting a line.

Great Rob. Thanks for all your support. It's all about paying it forward. After enjoying a life-time of fishing we feel obligated to do whatever we can to provide the same opportunities for our kids and grandkids.

Back