2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

our crew limited this week also... white luhr jensen flash fly with green flasher seemed to be the hot ticket for us. couldn't get a sniff on anchovie in bullet head for some reason. when we ran out of flash fly's (lost both to broken leaders, one to probably the largest salmon hooked up on this trip) we went to white glow hootchies but strikes slowed down significantly. shortened the leader to 36" and added some silver tinsel flash skirt and the game was back on.... had a great trip... most fish caught outside camel rock and a couple near Hoisse. lost a nice one to a seal battle also. only the head came in and it was amazing how cleanly picked out of meat it was...

To have a better chance of winning those "Seal Battles" Carry some bear bangers in you boat. Hit the water near the seal & usually they will give the fish up & not return. Good Luck!!!
FOJ

I'll look into that. sounds like a good method to get the seals out of your area... some of them are pretty brazen. thxs for the tip FOJ,

Might not be worth the potential fine (up to $100,000) when you already have your limit. Everyone has a camera or cell capable of video these days.

Gill net fishery Tulpana inlet 1250 pieces Sunday night/ last night Stewardship fish, 8/11 Tuesday night 5,000 pieces, likely another gill net fishery on 8/18.
Yes plan your fishing. Likely fishing in Tulpana area will be best Friday thru Tuesday prior to the commercial openings.
There are lots of fish around. DFO estimate of Area 25 Chinook is well above previous projection.
Fish west of Galiano Bay in Nootka & anywhere in Esperanza and you will continue to have the GREAT Fishing/Catching.

just curious if you think there will be a good amount of fish around at the end of august? I was thinking of heading back down around the 26th or 27th... just wonder where and what I should be targeting at that time. if it's slow maybe heading outside for coho and hali. or do you think springs can still be picked up trolling the inside? just wondering how slow should I expect it to be as compared to last week....

just curious if you think there will be a good amount of fish around at the end of august? I was thinking of heading back down around the 26th or 27th... just wonder where and what I should be targeting at that time. if it's slow maybe heading outside for coho and hali. or do you think springs can still be picked up trolling the inside? just wondering how slow should I expect it to be as compared to last week....
I was curious so looked back over my records for the last 20 years for around those dates-fishing was definitely slower but fish were bigger-on the inside-the longer you wait the more years were showing slower fishing. Outside was still ok but more likely coho. I was still getting decent fish inside most years on those dates. Hope this helps.

I think it may start to taper off for springs (I think June heat drove them in early) but the Coho was off the wall last year. Friend caught 100+ Coho last year in one day.

I was curious so looked back over my records for the last 20 years for around those dates-fishing was definitely slower but fish were bigger-on the inside-the longer you wait the more years were showing slower fishing. Outside was still ok but more likely coho. I was still getting decent fish inside most years on those dates. Hope this helps.

thxs for the replies Spring Fever and Bones. exactly the info I was looking for. hopefully those dates will work for us and we can get a few fish.
have a good one,
bigD

I think it may start to taper off for springs (I think June heat drove them in early) but the Coho was off the wall last year. Friend caught 100+ Coho last year in one day.

did he catch the coho inside? or near the entrance (lighthouse... burdwood)... we were fishing near galiano bay last sept... (sept 15th) and did fairly well just buzzbombing (coho) inside galiano bay. but when we tried trolling outside (camel rock, san carlos, etc...) we didn't seem to have near as much action.

Fished hard from the 1-9th fishing was consistent there was 8 of us all limited out on springs and got some nice coho in Esperanza .. Anchovie with 8 foot leader was the ticket green teaser head 51-58 feet were our numbers but also hit some hogs down deeper .. our biggest fish was 27.5 and we got quite a few 25's .. Silver and green spoon also very productive 5-6inch . Mark Pendleton and jabron white were having a beer at westview day we left so I'm sure they we filming next years show and the hogs were just showing up . No tyees this year but I'll be back next August .

did he catch the coho inside? or near the entrance (lighthouse... burdwood)... we were fishing near galiano bay last sept... (sept 15th) and did fairly well just buzzbombing (coho) inside galiano bay. but when we tried trolling outside (camel rock, san carlos, etc...) we didn't seem to have near as much action.

inside at center island, esperenza

Taking advantage of Nootka Lodge bring your own boat special.
I'm sure the staff will be helpful, but still would like to do my own due diligence.
Heading up Aug 14 - 18.
Fishing out of my 22' Trophy.
Looking for any information for good fishing not far from the lodge, preferably on the inside.
Also wouldn't mind knowing any info on the cost of gas.
Will be launching out of Gold River. Have read some archived threads on the launch, but was wondering if anyone has launched there recently and if there are any issues.
Really looking forward to it, my father is flying in from Ontario to take part and hoping to get him into some big fish.
Could also use some information on Halibut fishing in and around this area.
Thanks ahead of time.

Will be launching out of Gold River. Have read some archived threads on the launch, but was wondering if anyone has launched there recently and if there are any issues.

Was there 8/2-8/8. Critter gas was $1.44 per liter, Moutcha was $1.40. Launch was as good/bad as last year, depending on your perspective -- no new issues to deal with. No improvements/repairs to the docks.

Back yesterday Comies are lined up from Critter to Moutcha not sure when there opening is , no problem catching fish but sure are small average size was 15ish LB .

Taking advantage of Nootka Lodge bring your own boat special.
I'm sure the staff will be helpful, but still would like to do my own due diligence.
Heading up Aug 14 - 18.
Fishing out of my 22' Trophy.
Looking for any information for good fishing not far from the lodge, preferably on the inside.
Really looking forward to it, my father is flying in from Ontario to take part and hoping to get him into some big fish.
Could also use some information on Halibut fishing in and around this area.
Thanks ahead of time.
I can tell you we did fairly well using the luhr jensen flash fly in a creamy white colour. the one with red hooks. it out-fished anchovies for us. used a green glow flasher with a goldish haze and about 38" to 40" leader. (short but lots of action on the fly) Other flasher hootchie, anchovie combinations will work. you just have to use what you have confidence in once you find a pattern that works. we caught most fish at 2.1 knots SOG. not sure what that is in mph...hoping to get out for halibut next trip... will be back near the end of the month. fish hard during an hr and a half before and after the tide changes. don't be having your breakfast or lunch during those times unless your doing that while fishing. they seem to be the most active at that time. and get out early if possible. be dropping the ball at first light. we did well out front of camel rock and along the wall from camel rock down towards gold river. you'll see the boats. hoisse is good to. 45' on one side and 60 on the other worked for us outside in deeper water and both at 40 seemed to produce inside. we fished mostly shallow inside the inlet and followed the 60' contour line... we set the releases about 20' from the ball.... were able to get a limit for 6 guys. prob lost more than we brought in due to barbless hooks. one friend lost his first 4 salmon he hooked into. he was starting to get a bit depressed... lol. but things turned around for him eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you we did fairly well using the luhr jensen flash fly in a creamy white colour. the one with red hooks. it out-fished anchovies for us.

That same Flash Fly (Ghost) has been the hot ticket on a lot of boats in Ucluelet, including my friends boat. Out fished everything else they put down.

We were up there Aug 4 to 8. Fished Burdwood one day, did very well. Did best in the bay between Camel Rock and The Wall. Look for bait ball, troll around it, over it, near it, at 45-50 ft, using white needlefish hootchie (looks like the Tomic 502?) with flasher with some green on it, wire at 45 degrees, GPS speed averaged 2.5 knots. Caught 18 - 21 lb'ers. Anchovies worked too. Hope the gill netters left something for you!!!

Back