2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Agree with Sir Reel. Headed out of GR last year mid August at 3pm. 3 guys. Loaded with gear and coolers. Started out okay but mid way to Gore Island the winds were howling. Lost plane when I backed off the throddle. Had to swing it back around and run with the wind to get it back. Needless to say not one of my favourite days boating. Atrevide Pt. can also be interesting. Morning departures for me. Lesson learned.

We're launching out of Gold River this Sunday (8/2). Low tide is 0.2m/0.7ft @ 8:44am. Does anyone know what the minimum tide is at that launch that is doable? I have a 22' Hewescraft with a draft of ~3ft.

thx.

Wonderful. Another thing to take into consideration. Im already boating from GR and hopefully launching there by noon the latest. The wife will be alot longer than me with the RV so I might as well troll a bit. I can fish there right

They said a 2.4 is doable. Im going with a 5 footer.

Anyone interested in a tuna trip if things are looking good? We'll be up after the long weekend and are looking to head out it would be great to have a buddy boat or two. Let me know if your interested.

We're launching out of Gold River this Sunday (8/2). Low tide is 0.2m/0.7ft @ 8:44am. Does anyone know what the minimum tide is at that launch that is doable? I have a 22' Hewescraft with a draft of ~3ft.

thx.
Most posts have stated that 0.8-1 meter is the minimum needed. You have an aluminum boat so it can tolerate a few scrapes.....lol. At that low tide, beware of the big hole in the middle of the ramp, you wheel may get stuck in there. It was there last year when I tried to pull out with a low tide and I doubt the FN have fixed it. Didn't want to risk it so I waited....

Last edited by a moderator:

thx.
I won't launch on less than a 1.3m and I don't really like that-I have a podded 24 Orca-so a little heavier-but you need to be very careful at that.

how far of a run is it for tuna. can do 30 miles off shore with fuel. Monday?

So we launched early July one morning with a 3 ft tide. By the time I got to the float plane base, my sounder said 1.7 ft. I turned off the motor and raised it deciding better to drift with the wind and river flow out as I prayed. We made it.....but barely. I won't go less than 4.5 ft ever again. We've got a 23 ft Grady. That area around the float planes seems to be the tricky part

I'm with Pescador. I've got a 2101 Striper and won't launch with anything under 6' at GR. The ramp is one thing - the shallow near the seaplane dock is another thing to worry about. Then there's that whole afternoon wind tide bit up the Muchalet Inlet. Best is to launch well before noon on a reasonable tide and get back before 2:00 pm, again on a good tide.

So we launched early July one morning with a 3 ft tide. By the time I got to the float plane base, my sounder said 1.7 ft. I turned off the motor and raised it deciding better to drift with the wind and river flow out as I prayed. We made it.....but barely. I won't go less than 4.5 ft ever again. We've got a 23 ft Grady. That area around the float planes seems to be the tricky part

Thx, all.

4-5ft is my comfort level as well. If we launch early, say 5am, the water should be high enough. Are we able to pay for parking at that time or is the attendant gone?

Stay close to the road (right/starboard) and as you get close to Nootka Air maybe 75 feet cut over to the other side. It doesn't look deeper and seems counterintuitive but it is deeper, barring any movement of the bottom. Watch for the concrete block in the water tight to the floatplane dock (at least it used to be there). Friends at Critter this year broke a prop in low water. I asked if they were tight to the floatplane dock when passing in low water...answer, "yep, just off the wings of one of the float planes when we hit it."

They say the are open 24 x 7. But, I've arrived with no one on site. I left a note, launched parked inside and paid on return. They were fine with it.

Everyone always recommends to launch in gold river over tahsis..... But I never heard of all these problems at gold river. Starting to make tahsis look better...lol

Westberg,

I don't know who you are but it is clear that you have never fished Nootka before. You ask if you can troll while waiting around, and I am going to assume you are planning on trolling down Muchulat inlet to Tuta Marina, on Hanna channel.

I believe in paying it forward, and will not let someone get themselves into trouble. You are launching at Gold, or you can try at that other location I mentioned, and maybe have someone drive the truck with the empty trailer up to Tuta marina from Nesook, and leave the trailer at Tuta where you can keep an eye on it.

If you launch at Gold, yes its a pain at low tide and a good wait until high tide. Whatever you do, look at the DFO closures as your idea of trolling will not work until you are at Hanna Channel past Tuta Marina, as the whole Muchulat Inlet is closed.

The Muchlat closure is to protect the summer run steelhead on Gold River, and a run of BIG early springs that go up a creek near Gold River.

Drewski

Westberg,

I don't know who you are but it is clear that you have never fished Nootka before. You ask if you can troll while waiting around, and I am going to assume you are planning on trolling down Muchulat inlet to Tuta Marina, on Hanna channel.

I believe in paying it forward, and will not let someone get themselves into trouble. You are launching at Gold, or you can try at that other location I mentioned, and maybe have someone drive the truck with the empty trailer up to Tuta marina from Nesook, and leave the trailer at Tuta where you can keep an eye on it.

If you launch at Gold, yes its a pain at low tide and a good wait until high tide. Whatever you do, look at the DFO closures as your idea of trolling will not work until you are at Hanna Channel past Tuta Marina, as the whole Muchulat Inlet is closed.

The Muchlat closure is to protect the summer run steelhead on Gold River, and a run of BIG early springs that go up a creek near Gold River.

Drewski

Thanks Drewski. I actually just printed out the regs and noticed that too. Guess it will be tunes cranked while I transit solo. Really appreciate all the advice and knowledge everyone has given me. Yes you are correct, I have never been there before but a friend of a friend who we are meeting at Tuta has fished there for the past few years and has forgotten to pass info to me.

Cheers

If I was to launch on gold River at 5:30 am on Friday would I be good? It's a 21 foot bayliner image.jpg
image.jpg

I don't know what your draft but that is close to 5 feet and should be ok. I always keep my engine tilted up with the prop just under the surface to reduce risk of hitting something.

Tlupana /Hanna .Fishing good with more bigger fish showing after the rain .Hanna /camel was hot two days ago all day .Threee fingers /wall for morning worked for us .PICT0033.jpgno big fish 18# ,bait .blessed with14 fish .couger creek you need a 4x4to park your trailer and 12$ a night to park spot with a tent over night and 5$ to launch.yess my tinny has some scrapes from others rafted aside.wild life seen bear/grousePICT0019.jpgnot far from camp ,keep it clean!!

Back