2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Fishing remains very good off Esperanza. The beach fishing for Salmon has been a little slow the last few days, but off shore has definitely made up for it. Lots of springs in the 15 to 25 pound range are being taken out at the high way. 8 mile and 14 mile have producing limits in a couple hours or less. There are some Coho and Pinks showing in the mix as well. The fish have been feeding on large herring mostly so big spoons have been the best producers. Gold Betsy Titan and no bananas g-force have been working well. Most fish are being caught at depths around 130-180 feet. Halibut fishing has been excellent as it always is in June. On Sunday we had a quadruple header within 15 minutes of the rods being in. 6 mile and 8 mile are good spots to try. Salmon bellies and mackerel have been the best baits.

Adrian

RO J 13 1.jpg

RO J 24.jpg

Nice picture Adrian, it looks like a wall of water behind you.

I can't wait to get to Nootka next week to try the new CHIRP sonar.

Let's see if I can post a picture?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435336701.520912.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435336719.004363.jpg

Sorry for the delay crazycanuck, I had to go to work for the last 4 days. If you use a flasher you will have more blowback. I like to use a dummy flasher so that's why I use a 20# ball. If I'm trolling on the bottom at 300' then I don't use a flasher mainly for the blow back but also because the fish and bait are stacked 20 feet deep.

The T is a bit NW towards Kyuquot about 5 miles from the pins at Esperenza. Sometimes when I'm looking for big fish I will troll from the pins around the corner to the T or Whales Tail. That takes a couple of hours trolling at 3 MPH.

Tight Roll, yes I will wee you on the dock as I'll be at Critter Cove starting July 2nd. I'm guiding a group for 9 days at Critter so we can catch up then.

My buddy is guiding for a few days starting tomorrow at Nootka Lodge so I'll have a report when he gets back.

Codfather,can you tell me what brand of downrigger you use? Wondering weather a Scotty 1106 will handle a 20# ball,I have used 15's seems to be just "OK" at deep depths,THANKS !!

Bullwinkle, I use the new HP 2106 Scotty downriggers. They pull that 20# ball up faster than you can reel your line up.

When I did the prototype testing for Scotty on the HP downriggers I was yanking a 25# ball up from 300 feet. It slowed the rigger down a little bit but not much.

Now if your using the old style downrigger a 20# is a bit of a work out for it.

I'm heading up on July 9th. Plan on fishing offshore most days if the weather allows. Can someone give me some suggestions on spoons and plugs for that area? I don't like fishing bait deep offshore unless I can't get anything else to work.

White and white/black banana hootchies caught everything for us 2 weeks ago. And a white bucktail trolled in the prop wash killed lots of coho. TH

Heading over to Rodgers Lodge this Sunday for 3 nights. Going to drive to Tahsis on Saturday and overnight there. If we get in early enough to Tahsis on Saturday, was thinking of doing a late afternoon/early evening fish near Tahsis. I fished Steamer Point once, but other than that no where close to Tahsis. Anyone have any suggestions on spots to hit?

We are heading over to Nootka tomorrow morning and there have been very few reports over the past week or so. Generally, lack of reports is bad news as people are more likely to pass on good reports than bad ones. Any recent reports, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Returned from Nootka Saturday night. We stayed at both Critter Cove and Moutcha Bay, both were great but very different.

This was our first trip to Nootka, we limited out but it took awhile. We fished the Monument, Lighthouse, and Wash Rock. The evening tide change at the Monument seemed to be the best. The guys outside were bringing in some good sized fish but were having to run a bit as higher water temps seem to be pushing them farther offshore.

We drove in to Moutcha with the boat but elected to meet the trailer at Gold River on the way out.

Great place, fun fishing, and amazing scenery. We are already booked for next year.

We are heading over to Nootka tomorrow morning and there have been very few reports over the past week or so. Generally, lack of reports is bad news as people are more likely to pass on good reports than bad ones. Any recent reports, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Here ya go:

Fished nootka thurs-sat out of moutcha. First time up for us so had to get our bearings a bit. thurs was a half day and weather was not great so we stayed close and played coho for the afternoon off friendly cove. Sat and sun we had limits on springs all in the 15-25 lb range. Seemed to do better on springs than the folks off shore but they had some beauty hali's on the docs coming in from the highway.
All the springs were caught off the monument but headin out on the contours. Fished in 90-150 ft of water with the riggers right at the bottom. Hot lures were green head with chov, glow hootchie and cop car coho killer. it was hot around the tide change in the morning and eve.

The moutcha staff were awesome and we loved the 24 GW offshore we rented. We will be back again next summer. Amazing weather as well.

Now off to hit the other side of the island for a few weeks...

Participated in the Moutcha Bay Salmon Derby with two kids. We had a blast and as dfrase we were quickly dialed in at the lighthouse. Non-stop action for teeners on steroids in full on fighting mode. A few cohos mixed in as well and the odd decent ling on the troll just off the bottom. The new Sitka spoon was the killer in our boat - despite its rigidity it is now completely mangled from all the action. The kids had a blast and are hooked forever. Not to mention the outstanding service at the resort, great facilities and top notch rental boat fleet. The weather - more like Africa - jumped into the chuck to cool off a couple of times inside the sound between the stunning maze of islands.

The Derby was a great success and donated in conjunction with the Sooke based Consultants Invitational Fishing Derby $15,000 to the Nootka Sound Watershed Society for much needed salmon projects. The derby winner was 28.8# and came from offshore. It seemed there are more fish inshore but a little smaller versus fewer but slightly larger fish at the offshore reefs.

A.jpgC.jpgD.jpg

Hello fellow fishers

Just spent 12 days in knootka fishing hard !!! I had bad days and good days out there,mostly fished offshore in the 200-300 ft mark of the bajo fishing at 130-180 ft deep on the rigger.the halls and ground fish were awesome out at the ammunition dump and off escalante rocks in 100-180 ft,did good with salmon parts and herring good luck out there the lighthouse and wash rock also produced some really nice salmon with lots of coho present Ill be back in three weeks to fish for a month ill keep the reports coming good luck and respect the big water with nw winds…

Tight lines
Billydoo

There seem to be 2 kinds of fishers. 1st does not feel like they are fishing unless they are at least 5miles of shore. 2nd will have nothing to do with out side waters. BOTH are Good fishers Both catch lots of fish & normal their methods are DIFFERENT.
If you are in the 1st group "GO just beyond the "T"off of Esperanza fish DEEP with almost any 6in spoon. You will be rewarded & Happy with results."
If you are in group 2 "Go to Wash Rock area fish in around 100ft of water, use whatever has worked for you in the past ,lines down near the bottom & hold on. You will be rewarded & Happy with results.
Pictures below are from all over the region taken over the past 4 days. Most fishers are posting limits on Springs & Hali. Daily.Copy of June 2015 123 002.jpgJune 2015 072.jpgJune 2015 123 003.jpgJune 2015 123 004.jpgJune 2015 123 005.jpgJune 2015 123 015.jpg
Fish On John

bradfromedson, you don't have to use bait to catch fish. It's been 25 years since I have had a piece of bait on my boat trolling for salmon. Sorry for the late reply but I had to work my last 4 days before leaving for the summer to Nootka.

My first year fishing Nootka in the late 80's was a bit different then now. Back then there was no Critter Cove or Moutcha Bay where you could buy frozen bait. So when I left for my 3 to 5 day charter you had frozen bait on ice and lots of brined bait that you worked on for days. On the first and second day the bait was in great shape and you could catch lots of fish. On day 3 the bellies were starting to fall out and it's hard to get a good roll with the guts hanging out. After that it was a struggle trying to catch fish so I decided to make a change.

I talked to a lot of guys that were commercial trolling for salmon on the West Coast. Made a few trips on a buddy’s troller fishing the Highway with plugs and spoons to learn the art of lure fishing. There was a saying they used, keep the gear in the water, not on the deck baiting each hook. Every year the commercial troll fleet have several openings on the West Coast where they can only use 6" plugs. They put a lot of fish in the boat or they don't get paid so plugs catch fish.

After that I decided to switch to strictly lures with no bait on my boat. When you’re fishing deep water on the Hwy it is a must to use lures. At 150 feet down and you see the rod get a bite and not stick, you just keep trolling and wait for the next fish to bite and stay on. With bait you better bring it up as your bait is shredded most often.

For the last 25 years I have had at least one Tomic plug on the downrigger and depending on the fish have gone up to 3 plugs. Some days that's what the fish want so you need to change it up. I like using the Tubby plugs as they have a lot more action on them. At times the fish want a smaller plug so a classic will work better. That's what the commercial trollers mainly use.

Most often I will have a plug on my side and a 6" Tomic spoon on the other side. I don't use anything smaller than a 6" spoon as I say big lures equal big fish. You can troll plugs and spoons together at the same speed. My target speed is 2.8 to 3.2 mph so if I see 3.0 mph I'm very happy.

So when I say 3.0 mph that is not to say your GPS has to say that to be going the right speed. If there was no wind and no current then 3.0 is perfect. If you add the wind in your face or at your back things change. If the current is coming in or going out, things change. And of course you can have both of them working for or against you. I have a paddle wheel on my boat for speed and use the GPS alongside it. You can be going 4.1 mph on the GPS and 2.3 mph on the paddle wheel and you speed is perfect. Then you turn around and go the other way and it all changes. Now the GPS is going slower than the paddle wheel. On a slack tide with no wind then they both say the same thing.

All that said about speed there is only one true way to measure speed. It is all about the angle of the downrigger line going thru the water. On my boat when I sit in my chair on the starboard side I look at the downrigger line on the port side and set my speed. You have to have the cannon ball at the same depth as the deeper you go the more blow back you get. So when I set my speed I am at 50' always for now. The angle of the line crosses the back knob on my swivel base and I know I'm dragging the lure thru the water at the right speed. Then I let the ball down to whatever depth I want. If I drop the ball down to 150' I then look at the angle and it could now cross my back cleat. As long as I'm going the same direction the next time I go down I can drop it to 150' and know the right speed when the downrigger line crosses my back cleat.

Fishing plugs can be very productive and the catch ratio is about 90% success. On my plugs I pull the pins out and run the line thru and use a big hook. When the fish takes a run only the hook is in the mouth. The plug will drag behind due to the resistance and it’s very hard for the fish to shake the hook out because that’s all he has in his mouth. By using big hooks the hook always gets in the mouth around the jaw and is pretty much locked in. I have seen a fish take 300feet of line strait out the back of the boat like a freight train. The fish turns and swims by the boat just as fast with the fisherman still looking backwards with 100 feet of slack in the line. That fish will still stay on as the line drag caused by the line being pulled thru the water will keep the hook in his mouth.

In 1989 I met Cam Sr., Cameron, Dean and Laura Forbes as we all worked in the Gold River pulp mill. That was the start of a family friendship that grew as Sr. had a place in Nootka and I built a lodge in Tuttle Cove across from them. Cameron got his foreshore lease and Critter started to take shape in 1993. A few years later Catherine became part of the family and soon I became very involved in Critter Cove.

In 2002 Catherine & Cameron Forbes bought Tomic Lures from Tom Moss. Tom started his lure making business more than 60 years ago when he carved wooden plugs by hand and painted them in his basement. His plugs went thru dozens of changes until he was producing thousands of plugs for the West Coast commercial troll fleet. I have been in the basement of many old commercial boys that still have thousands of plugs stacked up with dust all over them. Even with thousands of plugs most of them still had a few favorites that became famous on the coast.

Soon I became the Tomic guy, spending lots of time in the shop and designing and testing new things. It was such an improvement when they moved the shop to Gold River and you could send them a description of a color or call them up and ask for something to be painted a certain pattern. As you can see by the website http://tomiclure.com/recommended-colours/ there are thousands of colors and hundreds of personal custom colors that people have dreamt up and had painted. It’s not just Tomic lures that they will paint, some guys have brought an old lure from Great Gamp’s basement and had touched up to look new.

In 2009 at the first Critter Cove Fishing for Hearts derby my son Mitchel and I entered the derby. On the second day we headed out to the Bajo Hwy and the wind was blowing 20 knots from the South. It made it impossible to fish the normal pattern so I turned my back to the wind and trolled North towards the Esperanza Hwy. We caught and thru back more than 20 Springs and 30 Coho until we reached the Pins on the Hwy. The biggest Spring was 30 pounds and I knew it was not big enough. The wind calmed down and we trolled thru a school of bait and the downriggers shook and the rods were pounding. After we went thru my rod was vibrating so I pulled it up. There was a 9” Pilchard on the hook. I pulled it into the boat and had a good look at it as it was the first one I had seen in Nootka. The black dots were amazing, as they were all a different size and perfectly round. At that time I had a 639 spoon on so I dried it off and copied the spots from the Pilchard onto the spoon with a Jiffy marker. That is now the Codfather #639.

Now it was time to start doing laps working the bait. Within 5 minutes BANG, fish on. After 30 minutes we netted a 40 ponder and put it in the cooler. For the next 2 hours we kept a 36 ponder and thru back a half dozen nice ones. It was getting close to time to leave as we had to get back to Critter for the weigh in at 2000 hrs and it was a 2 hour ride back. All of a sudden BANG another fish and I knew it was big and full of life. My son wheeled it in record time 20 minutes and it was 42 pounds. In the cooler it went and blasted back to the dock at Critter. We arrived at 1950 just in time to **** the guy that already spent the winnings with his 30 pound fish thinking he won.

You can now go into Harbor Chandler or PNT and see dozens of plugs and spoons with Pilchard dots on them now since my derby winning design. Rob from PNT has come up with dozens of custom designs that catch lots of fish also. The Mike Pilchard #546 was another one I designed and have caught thousands of fish on along with lots of other fisherman. So it’s a great opportunity if you thinks of a new pattern get it painted and try it, it could be the next best thing.
Sorry for the rant, back to speed. The cardinal sin in trolling lures is going to slow. If you’re not catching fish, speed up. You MUST never troll a cut plug herring on one side and a plug or spoon on the other side at 1 to 1.5 mph and expect to catch fish.

Good luck this summer folks.

Ps: see you on the dock pescador July 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] along with Gordon J and however else is out at Critter.

Great post codfather. I got a few pilchard pattern spoons and a few tomics that should work. Might have to add a few black dots as well. Do you prefer glow spoons and plugs below a certain depth?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back