2015 Nanoose Bay / French Creek

French Creek hump was hot this morning low tide. Landed 2 at 10 lbs and 1 at 12 lb. Lots of hits off clip as well. Deep 160-180 ft with anything green/yellow for flasher and spoon seemed to work. Afew large bait balls noted.

Managed 4 for 4 out front right before the high Friday afternoon. Long leader trailing a cop car. 180'.

Had a couple guys out on a trip yesterday and tubbed them on Springs/Lings but had to work for them. The highlight was this double header of smilies.

Fishing is definitely slower than weeks past. Earlier in the month fish were biting all day and recently the bites have been limited to only an hour or so around tides. The fish have also moved onto structure again in some areas and deeper at 150-170ft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no!! You killed Lings??

Ha Ha!! Nice job!

I'll be after them Lings tomorrow

Nice fish Kelly, looks like those folks had a day they won't forget. Might try to get out later today or tomorrow...........BRS

Beauty fish Kelly. Free diving for Lings? Wow awesome!! My daughter and I were thinking about scuba diving fishing this Summer but never even thought about free diving. How deep of water are you free diving for the Lings in?

Nice fish indeed Kelly, I'm a bit jealous.
Yesterday fishing was hot right out front of French Creek marina. We managed 3 keepers but nothing over 72cm. Mostly we fished in 240-300ft. of water at 160-200' trolling depth. Anything with green and white seemed to work although my buddy was using an army truck hootchie. Mostly he caught pollack but he thought it was great fun. My favorite lure of the day was a 4" coyote white with yellow and green with chrome on the back. Sorry I don't know the name.
It worked great again this morning as I landed a couple of 12 pounders again right out front at about 160-170', 240' of water by 7am. The weather started to get a bit nasty so I headed in to do some much neglected chores.

Seeing as I should report all my fishing efforts, not just the times I land fish:

Fished Thursday night at the outside of Winchelsea for a couple hours leading up to the 9pm tide change. Not a sniff. Tried Irish Cream, white hootch primarily.
Fished Sunday night on the outside of Winchelsea and into the gap (inside Winchelsea) - not a sniff. Tried Irish Cream, white hootch, kitchen sink.
Fished Monday morning at Gerald and not a sniff. Tried even more gear (added Cop Car, Splatter back hootch, yellow/green/white spoon to earlier mix) but still unlucky.

I was trying depths from 125 upto 190. One thing I will say is there has been tons of weeds which don't help my fishing attempts. Still had a great time out there but my freezer is hungry!

Any advice??? Maybe I should run to Sangster?

Thanks!!

Don't feel too bad Smokin Joe. We went out Saturday morning and fished all around the Winchelseas and Sangster. Fished from 0830 to 1830, beauty day but not a sniff. We used everything.

We went out (Sangster/Winchelseas) on Saturday as well, 0830-1800 or thereabouts with a guide and same thing... with the exception of one undersize throwback in the morning. It was not for lack of trying however.... I think he was pretty frustrated and we were all tired and ready to call it quits when we did. The bait was around, but just no interest. Great day on the water and some good learning!

Seeing as I should report all my fishing efforts, not just the times I land fish:

Fished Thursday night at the outside of Winchelsea for a couple hours leading up to the 9pm tide change. Not a sniff. Tried Irish Cream, white hootch primarily.
Fished Sunday night on the outside of Winchelsea and into the gap (inside Winchelsea) - not a sniff. Tried Irish Cream, white hootch, kitchen sink.
Fished Monday morning at Gerald and not a sniff. Tried even more gear (added Cop Car, Splatter back hootch, yellow/green/white spoon to earlier mix) but still unlucky.

I was trying depths from 125 upto 190. One thing I will say is there has been tons of weeds which don't help my fishing attempts. Still had a great time out there but my freezer is hungry!

Any advice??? Maybe I should run to Sangster?

Thanks!!

Hi Joe
Man I have had more days like that and strings of days like that than I would like to remember. Don't worry you will get back on em. Best of luck.

Tried French Creek Hump on the morning high tide. No bait or pollack marks on sounder, just lots of surface weeds! One hit and a quick loss bringing rig up to check for weeds.

Thanks guys!! I'm feeling a bit better but I still want to get out of this drought!! Sounds like there was fish yesterday at French Creek (had a friend post on facebook that they caught 5 there yesterday).

Good luck out there!

Back