2015 Nanaimo Reports

The Coho are around.......

Remember the now defunct Blueback fishery of yesteryear? Those were all local Coho. There are still Blueback around every year...problem is you can't retain them (until Coho season opens)

They grow fast and get much bigger by late summer.

Returning "Northerns" (I hate that name......people think they are a distinct species of Coho...they aren't, they are just normal Coho that left and went up North for a time and have returned to spawn) show up a little later....

Personally I tend to hook more Coho around here in the summer when I'm not targetting them than I do when supposed "Coho" season comes on.....

Last edited by a moderator:
There were days last spring I could hardly keep my gear in the water because of the coho. Haven't had one this year and I'm not the only one. Who the heck knows when or if they turn up?

I've already caught a couple of smaller ones........but they were "wild" so no keep...and this year it's hatchery only where I fish from what I read in the regs....

I picked up a couple of wild ones the other day ; just off Snake. Both quite small--3-4lbs. They were down deep(150'), it seems a bit early but---. A great day on the water though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toughday on the water yesterday.. Fished 5-5.. Seems to me the Derby was plagued by a Strong SE .. Last year Well she blew from the NW this year ... A couple shakers in the morning and not much else.. Was nice to be in Alberni's boat this year , here is a picture to show just how close to the top of the leaderboard we were ..
702ca960189da0f9e2168aaea6eb59ad.jpg
all in all a great day on the water.. We were even able to land a massive powerless Sculpin that was adrift in the shallows..should be a prize for that....
c65ea27d3111dced93c99db11d3899a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were even able to land a massive powerless Sculpin that was adrift in the shallows..should be a prize for that....

killing his batteries with all the electronics and stereo i bet ....

hope they get back up and Running and that its nothing major...

whats the word on the SB Derby.....

The word is WINDY... Had to miss today to pic up my girlfriend in vic, Sculpin was running again an hour later, good luck to all in the final hours of the Derby...

The start of the first Silva Bay derby we have ever participated in didn't exactly go as planned :eek:. Racor and water in the fuel issues plagued us right off the bat :mad:. My son and I would like to put a big SHOUT OUT out to Albernifisher and Jeffywestcoast for giving us a tow back to the ramp. THANK YOU BIG TIME. Good thing we were just outside the channel and drifted right onto the kayakers beach on Newcastle.

Our view well help was on the way....

Our heroes in the big Hourston....

We pulled the rig at 2:45 p.m., blasted up to Port Alberni, watched how Stephen bled the whole fuel system of water and got good clean fuel back in, picked up a few extra filters, blasted back to Nanaimo and met Tidal Chaos at the ramp around 6:30 p.m., and headed back out fishing.

The boat ran great, the new kicker runs awesome, and my son caught a nice 12.5 lb. marble around 8:00 p.m.. He had just switched to an unusual looking hootchie that did not pass the approval of Tidal Chaos lol (his exact words were "what the *&ck is that") and then proceeded to make him eat crow ha ha:D.

We had a good bs with TC and took in the gorgeous evening sunset. Lots of bait and marks on the sounder all evening. Going to give it a go a couple nights this week.

Well couldn't make the derby; but got out Monday morning around 7:30 ----water was flat on my way out to entrance. But, by the time I got the gear out the wind really kicked up. So ran with the flow and go figure --first pass and I picked up a beauty 20 lber. It took 30 min to tire and get in the box. Then ran back and second pass got an 18 ---wahoo--pounded back to the dock and all processed by noon. Right place ; right time.

We got out again last night with a couple of my sons buddies. Dropped some crab traps and tried for some lings. No luck on the lings. The crab traps were stuffed full but only managed 2 keepers. We dropped my sons buddies off and headed back out to Entrance and trolled for an hour and a half with one hit. I just love fishing out front this time of year. The sunsets are amazing when your out on the water.

That's a great shot Sculpin. We fished Entrance Is. Sunday evening after the Silva Bay Derby and banged a 15 and this 19 hatchery red in short order.

0fc03a8d00d7c8ea7bc6303a2cb3d775.jpg

Got this shot as we were headed back to Silva Bay for the night.

a5db001935873a3508c5ee5eb6b2c81a.jpg

Was going to giver a go this afternoon, by the time i had the boat loaded it was to windy to troll.. Been out since about 3 four undersized coho so far... , beauty night anyway, hopin for something on the tide change
48e9a99e0965d3e6a7fecf421c11bfdf.jpg

Got a nice 15 lb white spring on the mid-day tie change at Thrasher. Nothing remarkable until my buddy palmed his brand new trophy reel on its first run and both the handles of the reel few off. After the surprise he brought it to the boat by turning the spool with his forefinger. No danger of being knuckle dusted. One to remember.

Great reports and pictures guys, keep em coming. I picked up a nice marbled teener 100' down in between green can and the rocks. How deep have you guys been getting em?

Trolled out front for five hours , one small wild coho 3-4lbs , N a big dogfish before the smoke blew me off the water...
c60631881ca39e3268bf304815624d8e.jpg

Out Thursday 1:00 till 8:00 fingers to neck pt no keepers a few small coho and 5 undersizes springs 50ish cm, 10-12 other boats no nets to be seen ...beauty flat day though

Back