2015 Nanaimo Reports

Unfortunately i did not have a tape to wrap the belly will, 91 cms i meant...[emoji12]must be spring fever....
bbbbcf996652ed8aaeed7b2f92e46788.jpg
the spring had a 16" pollock and a few large Herring in its belly.. Took it just outside of horeswell canyon , (behind fingers) 180feet on the Copcar....fish ran like a freight train.. Was almost into the backin on my new Islander ...My buddy Brad with the ace net job[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow awesome fish JWC! If you don't have a tape with you next time you can just wrap a piece of fishing line around the fish at it's thickest part (right in front of the dorsal fin), then cut the line and measure it later on a tape measure.
The formula to get really close to the actual weight is Length (in inches) x girth squared / 800
So for example if your fish was say 25" girth (which I would guess is pretty close for that length fish), this is what your formula would be:
your fish was 91 cm in length so that's 36.4" x 625 (which is 25 squared)=22750/800=28.4 lbs.

So close to a Tyee!

I've fished a lot in catch and release only waters with friends over the years and that's how we kept track of our fish and the weights. I've compared actual fish weights to their measurements weight with this formula and it is super accurate when it comes to salmon. With Steelhead not all the time but still close.

Very Nice Jeffy. Glad to see all the hard work finding and overhauling your boat has paid off in a big way. Congrats and Job Well Done. Hopefully the first of many. TF
No don't forget to scrub the deck.

good work guys im jealous

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys.. This was is a white spring, going into the Brine today.. The other two were marbled and a red, that fish peeled 200 yards off my new islander before i starting gaining... it believe it or not is the biggest salmon i have caught since i was about 5 fishing with my dad in CR, was a nice surprise after 3 times out with only pollock to the boat...[emoji12][emoji476]

Nice fish Jeffy, the biggest this year on the site. You could be the derby leader. I'm glad to see you changed the measurment to 91cm, you're Keeping It Reel :)

Well deserved, JWC. You have put a lot of time and investment into your new toy and time on the water is paying off. So often you hear about how lucky you are to get a big fish. I say it is more about preparation, perspiration and perseverance.

Well done:D

Nice fish....love the fight of the big whites...good job, never a sure thing when you do hook them for sure.

Great looking fish Jeff, glad to see the blood report for keepin it reel included a hog like that. Now you have the momentum on your side, looking forward to more reports like this. A tyee is just waiting for you to get back out there. Good luck.

Oly

Unfortunately i did not have a tape to wrap the belly will, 91 cms i meant...[emoji12]must be spring fever....
bbbbcf996652ed8aaeed7b2f92e46788.jpg
the spring had a 16" pollock and a few large Herring in its belly.. Took it just outside of horeswell canyon , (behind fingers) 180feet on the Copcar....fish ran like a freight train.. Was almost into the backin on my new Islander ...My buddy Brad with the ace net job[emoji41]

Good fish man...Congrats

Nice slug, I'll be out steadily starting on Saturday.

Another interesting thing to note is the Pollack in the belly. I've observed that a majority of 25+ lb Chinook on the ECVI feed on Pollock or Cod. It makes me want to chuck out the 7 inch plugs but it would be a lot of trolling and missed opportunities on smaller fish to justify.

I have a native friend who says there i a run going up Nanaimo river right now average 24-28lbs.. I dunno where it came from guys.. All i know is where it is going.. Right in the smoker! Just packed it into the dry brine.. [emoji12]

Nice fish Jeff, keep up the good catches and reports ........ As for Wolf " stirring the Pot " .... I dont think so, likely hit it bang on.

Congrats to ya !

HT

Nice slug, I'll be out steadily starting on Saturday.

Another interesting thing to note is the Pollack in the belly. I've observed that almost every 25+ lb Chinook on the ECVI has fed on Pollock or Cod. It makes me want to chuck out the 7 inch plugs but it would be a lot of trolling and missed opportunities on smaller fish to justify.[/QUOTE]

we will be giving them a try when we get out on sunday.... :)

I have cleaned up this thread due to the content getting off topic. Stick to reports only in the reports thread please. BTW...Congrats Jeffy on your biggest Salmon to date, it's a beauty!

Brian

Back