2015 Halibut Regulations

SerengetiGuide

Well, we know we have approx the same TAC as last year...what should it be. We left 144,000lbs or approx 14,000 halibut in the water last year with 133cm/90cm (70/20lbs) so what should 2015 be? Clearly need to up it. But curious as to any ideas out there. Who woulda thunk I would be the one starting this LOL :p

My vote goes for 141cm/92cm. Or 85lbs and 22lbs. (139cm is 80lbs) That'd work great and even considering "angler effort" and weather would leave a lil wiggle room. I've come to grips with fact the shoulder season option combined with max size primetime won't happen even though that benefits most economically, socially, and local anglers. I'd be ok with 141cm/90cm as well but know 92cm would still work. I'm surprised more local anglers don't voice their displeasure with the second fish staying as small as possible as it doesn't affect them at alllllllll.

Also, to those that say "get involved"...you're part of the sfab process and I know my area meeting is not till after this decision is made, so posting on here is getting as involved as one can for the most part. So don't even try to say that kind of crap as you guys are on board and do read this, therefore all that post here's opinions are being heard and that is at least getting involved in someway....

Let's hear it. :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think instead of posting on here you should get involved and go to your area meetings.

I will bite...
So I sit as the area 10 rep and already I'm ticked as that area gets lumped in combination with 11
Yet 6,7,8,9 stand alone in the central area
Makes no sense....but that is another story....and I will take it up at the next meeting.
The whole size/slot limit is here to stay so get used to it.
Keep going up each year so we are eventually trying to measure 200lb fish in the future
Good times....

Like last season when we new DFO had us leaving 140,000 plus in the water
We should of opened it up after sept 1 to 1 any size.
Measure it and send the info to DFO
They seem to be able to make everything a condition of licence, why not this
This gives anglers tons of opportunity to kill a big fish if they want.
It also helps subdue that stupid "experimental licence" crap.

Anyhow, I'm never ok with any of this as long as the " experimental licence" is even an option and again this year it's available
Bloody crazy!

I think instead of posting on here you should get involved and go to your area meetings.

HAHAHA My Dad attends the one's he can, as I'm in Ottawa but back in BC permanently in April so I think we both know I"ll be there and be just as vocal. But what good is a meeting in mid March when the decision on this is due shortly?!?! And at the last meeting we had no idea what TAC we would have hambone?!?! Exactly...can't answer it.

My SFAC rep I talk to on the phone and make sure he knows my opinion, funny thing is many I talk to voice the same opinion in my area, and i encourage them to talk to him, so hopefully they care enough to. How else could I get involved hambone but talk to him directly on, during this time of the year, on a weekly basis? Hope your foot tastes good...

85lbs and 20lbs I rather shoulder. But if that isn't possible then that's my second choice. Anything less would be a travesty. And complete mismanagement.

I will bite...
So I sit as the area 10 rep and already I'm ticked as that area gets lumped in combination with 11
Yet 6,7,8,9 stand alone in the central area
Makes no sense....but that is another story....and I will take it up at the next meeting.
The whole size/slot limit is here to stay so get used to it.
Keep going up each year so we are eventually trying to measure 200lb fish in the future
Good times....

Like last season when we new DFO had us leaving 140,000 plus in the water
We should of opened it up after sept 1 to 1 any size.
Measure it and send the info to DFO
They seem to be able to make everything a condition of licence, why not this
This gives anglers tons of opportunity to kill a big fish if they want.
It also helps subdue that stupid "experimental licence" crap.

Anyhow, I'm never ok with any of this as long as the " experimental licence" is even an option and again this year it's available
Bloody crazy!

I think you mean measure a big fish during any point in season and send info in to DFO as condition of license??

talk to me when it is illegal for people with money to buy their way to fish illegally.. oh wait a tic?

they already do:(

Come on trophy I know you have an opinion. Everyone for the most part shares that same sediment when it comes to that program

And did not hear your suggestion hambone...

Lol I was kidding..... take it easy

As far as the 2015 regs, Im easy to please as I personally put in very little effort for hali. I did enjoy the extended season in 2014 so if we can have that again I'm happy. Size isn't something I care to argue about as I'm only interested in 2-3 chickens a season.

I know the number one mandate is a full season from Feb1 to Dec 31st WITHOUT going over the TAC. So if you don't go over then you will always be under. I think later season adjustments are the way to go to ensure we get as close to the bullseye as possible. Making adjustments at the start of the season only increases the chances of having to close it down early.

As a guy who only gets to fish for Halibut once a year, size does matter to me. A couple of 20 lbrs is nice but doesn't put much meat in the freezer.

I know the number one mandate is a full season from Feb1 to Dec 31st WITHOUT going over the TAC. So if you don't go over then you will always be under. I think later season adjustments are the way to go to ensure we get as close to the bullseye as possible. Making adjustments at the start of the season only increases the chances of having to close it down early.

My vote is with profisher....agree 100% that we keep the present season length and if not targeting the big moma's is what it takes, that's ok with me! My favorite size is 30 to 50 pounds.

I'm not involved in the meeting as my effort on Halibut is only a couple times per year, so I guess my input here is worth about the same. Having said that, I would like to see the issue of allocation continuously pressed to force the re-distribution of "wealth" and rescind this "temporary experimental license" ******** once and for all.

I do want to thank all those who have been involved and have stood up for our rights. It does not go unappreciated and any time I am fortunate enough to catch and keep a nice halibut, I know that what meager amounts we have been allocated is due to the fact that someone is standing up for us. Otherwise, I suspect that we would have no access to Halibut at all and they would have sold it all to the few high paying lobbyist slipper skippers who need to make millions every year so they can line the politicians pockets and ensure they get to make more millions off of MY fish.

Ok................take a breath.................. there................... I feel better........................

That doesn't work because like it was said in the iphc meetings by the dfo rep. There is such little effort September on that changing regs doesn't make a difference on getting close to the total amount. Use last years data to. Get closer to the total amount ...duh! 144k left...do the math and we can go up and get closer. ..no?

Should clarify. I do agree with doing that profisher but certainly not at the cost of better regs during the rest of the year. That approach only helps a few who can make it out then, about 1% of the catch, yet the majority are screwed by it. Sound familiar? (Experimental)

I also think we all agree this year we won't be able to kill the "big mommas". But think we can also agree it's pretty obvious with that much leftover max size can go up without trouble for the season length

My vote is with profisher....agree 100% that we keep the present season length and if not targeting the big moma's is what it takes, that's ok with me! My favorite size is 30 to 50 pounds.

I also agree.

133cm/100cm, leave the breeders alone (hopefully the commies don't get all the bigger girls) and if there is predicted excess TAC come the end of july then open it up to 2/day earlier

If the max size doesn't go up to 139-142cm then I've lost all faith in those making the decisions for the rec sector. As we were 13-14k fish under this year. That's a lot of fish. A LOT. Because of that loss of faith I'd be one of the first ones to sign up for the experimental because of the fact we won't get rid of it ever and with those (if they make such a stupid decision as said earlier) in charge our halibut fishery will go nowhere so mine as well, cheaper than the store. I'm sure I'll hear it but it makes sense because there's no reason with 144,000lbs left in the water there shouldn't be a half decent uppage to allow anglers to keep a little bigger fish.

If the max size doesn't go up to 139-142cm then I've lost all faith in those making the decisions for the rec sector. As we were 13-14k fish under this year. That's a lot of fish. A LOT. Because of that loss of faith I'd be one of the first ones to sign up for the experimental because of the fact we won't get rid of it ever and with those (if they make such a stupid decision as said earlier) in charge our halibut fishery will go nowhere so mine as well, cheaper than the store. I'm sure I'll hear it but it makes sense because there's no reason with 144,000lbs left in the water there shouldn't be a half decent uppage to allow anglers to keep a little bigger fish.

You're more than welcome to jump in there if you don't like how things are

Back