2015 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Hi guys! Wind is getting a little irritating and next few days looks same. Anyone sneaking out south Hornby?? Looks somewhat protected there..

Yes, south end has been calm past few days but getting there is a pain with the northwesterly blowing hard. Tides have also been tricky.

Fished kitty hump 11 AM-8 PM yesterday, only undersized, seems the fish were of bite or moved. Only saw a couple nets out, P-Cod were around, was bite early??. Still a flat calm day, very hot. Awesome place we live.

HM

Started at Lazo for an hour or so picked up my first coho of the year, was a hatchery. Headed to coho point once the wind went down a bit, nothing. Had lunch on the back side or Harwood on the sand then headed to Grants where we released one undersize. Amazing day for a tour of the area but no real fish to be had. The coho was pale in colour and mushy, disappointing.

Fished the south side of Hornby yesterday mid morning to mid aft- nothing much happening for us-a few doggies around- didn't see much going on with other boats

s.Lil riv shore cast with a mac 3".12# to the beach for view and lost.wind let up around 1pm

Last edited by a moderator:
Slow fishing at kitty for me. Lots of fish and bait balls on the sounder but couldn't get the bite going.
Decided to give up and troll back to pacific playgrounds. More fish and bait along the way. Caught a couple wild cohos 135-230 ft.

Ahhh i'm having fun!!! I have a blister from casting at s Lil riv.2:15pm today,was lucky for a 5# salmon that got away at shore again today.No bait showing today.Early solunar bite is showing good in this report, both days, and wind falls of just before bite.

2015 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Is...

Fished Kitty today. A 10 and a 12 lb spring. Lots of bait on the southern end of the hump. Both fish were caught 1 hour before slack. 220 on the cable. Gold Nog's Needle did the trick.

Thanks,

I'm headed out with the kids tomorrow morning for a few hours to catch the high slack. We'll give it a try

Sorry, I should clarify, that was the Chinook closure from Little river to Kitty Coleman is approx 1 mile off shore to the beach. The Hump is outside the seasonal closure.

Fished Kitty yesterday afternoon. Not much happening. A few bites and one doggy. Headed down to the Lazo area and picked up a P Cod then called it a day. It's been slow the last week or more.

My buddy was out on Saturday, heading to Kitty Coleman but the wind made hi change his mind. He trolled out in front of Holmes Point. He just put on a flasher and an army truck hootchie and was hooking up the release when there was a big splash behind the boat. His rod was almost yanked out of his hand as a fish came up and took the hootchie skimming along the surface behind the boat. A bit of a battle later and a 30 pound spring came onboard. This is his first legal fish as he just started fishing (he's had a couple shakers that have been released).

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's awesome. A rare surface tyee. I remember hearing about some tagging info that showed many mature chinooks swimming from 5-15 feet in the water column.

There are a couple pockets at 60' outside north end of area14.10 worth pulling your favorite lure at 20'.

How's the Coho fishing off Lazo, Kitty, Hornby South etc. Was great for Coho last year at this time for sure. Just wondering, Thanks;) eman

Fished kitty yesterday. Awesome fishing! Lots of fish all day. Had several double headers with nice size springs. Biggest was around 20 lbs. released smaller springs up to 10 lbs.
caught some cohos too. But all wild. They were about 5 pounders. Was fishing deep 200 feet or so using spoons. Lots of bait on surface too. The wind picked up but glad We stuck it out.

Was out Saturday at Hornby, around tribune. Lots of undersize springs. We managed to get a nice 12lb keeper though.

Sounds good. Tried to battle the winds the past few nights to no avail. Called it quits after getting hammered by the northwesterly for a half hour.

Try again tonight hopefully. Previous years there have been some big fish around the first few wks of july

Back