2015 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

a tip for next year-to get quality herring for smoking or pickling get them in Dec or Jan when the quality (high in omega 3),taste and oil are best, not in Mar when a lot of the goodness is in the roe and milt.

a tip for next year-to get quality herring for smoking or pickling get them in Dec or Jan when the quality (high in omega 3),taste and oil are best, not in Mar when a lot of the goodness is in the roe and milt.
But the milt is so yummy on toast, and the seasoned roe out of the dehydrator is so tasty.

I have heard that but where can you catch herring in any kind of numbers in Dec/Jan??

Fished Kitty and area today for about three hrs--- 5 springs to the boat, but the biggest was 2" short... Major plankton bloom happening. Lines came up yucky brown and snotty.

Trolled Tribune Bay for a couple hours yesterday and had no action. About 5 other boats out and one of them used the net once that we could see. Sounder was blank most of the day.

I'm back after my punishment not sure if I'll be on here much but I'll give reports when I can, have a good 2015 everyone!! See yah out there!! Might have a break in the wind today by the looks of it!

Hit the Kitty hump today afternoon slack. As usual picked up my greys' first, then chased springs. Grey cod were great; large, numerous and best of all no DOGS and only One rockfish. Picked up 2 springs in first 15 minutes, one 12 pounder, then just cleaned gear for 2 hours. 250',green hootchie. 10 other boats there, none looked too busy.. Pic of Steve & his first season spring!!

IMG_0774.jpg

good report.I saw you on the Island Hwy yesterday must have been a beauty day out there, I almost followed and asked if I could join lol

Hey PB, congrats on the great day. Are you jigging for those grays, or just picking them up on the troll? Thanks.;) eman

Heard of a couple being caught in front of Pacific Playground it is that time of year for those big white springs in that area.
Terry

That's interesting about big whites there, I wonder what river system they are heading to? I know the Harrison and Vedder get them but usually a lot later.

Back