2015 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Wife and I are coming up to fish the derby this weekend, I've never fished the inlet or the Sound, thus my expectations are pretty low as I have no idea where to go lol….that said - it should be fun to get out on the water.

You will have no problem finding the boats lol :p. Good luck and have fun :)!

Yup, cape beale was hot sat and sun but today was pretty slow for us.17 springs and 3 coho over the weekend with nothing over 15lbs

X2 on Beale for Sat. and Sunday..Got most of our fish..nothing over 15lbs good enough for a bottle of rum...:) Didn't get to drop a line on Monday as the main power packed it in and had to limp home to Alberni late last night....:(

Thinking its a power head but we'll find out once its in the shop this week..better near shore then chasing tuna next week...:) Guess we'll have to jump on board my buddies 30ft grady :) maybe some nice things to break there eh Greg...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, there was plenty o' action in Whittlestone to Beale tack. We got tired of playing around and ventured off shore for hali and lots of ling. A white meat extravaganza under ideal off shore conditions. Sad news Derby on the main power, and very glad that happened just off Beale when you were venturing out to join us. Could have been a tragic outcome 40 or more miles off shore. You sure made good time on the kicker coming home on the flood tide.

Was reading some online reports that some of the Yami 300's are having issues with the new pistons. Issue seems to be the powder coating on the pistons creates too much weight for the return springs that hold the piston in place causing failure. Might be a known issue that hopefully Yami helps cover!

Hey Derby, as we're polishing off that bottle of rum I owe you... see if I can convince you to come to the dark side lol

Thinking its a power head but we'll find out once its in the shop this week..better near shore then chasing tuna next week...:) Guess we'll have to jump on board my buddies 30ft grady :) maybe some nice things to break there eh Greg...:)
It seems as though you have some bad mojo around you, you break stuff on my boat, my boat goes in the shop, the next week you break stuff on your boat and then your main goes and your boat goes in the shop. I don't know that they will allow you to step foot on there boat and if they do and you break something, they best toss you overboard and make you swim back as there power maybe next!:p

Thanks Shaun.. at least I have one friend...Greg's a big meanie.. Not sure If u can get me to go to the darkside yet..we'll see what happens with the motor when I pull the boat this week...:)

It seems as though you have some bad mojo around you, you break stuff on my boat, my boat goes in the shop, the next week you break stuff on your boat and then your main goes and your boat goes in the shop. I don't know that they will allow you to step foot on there boat and if they do and you break something, they best toss you overboard and make you swim back as there power maybe next!:p

Greg, I think you are on to something...things were mysteriously breaking at the house too when he was styaying there...maybe we should be bringing an exorcist to the Tuna derby

The coho action out on the wall is finally starting to pick up!!
Don't be a 'rock hugger' - fish out a bit from shore.
One boat had great success with bait at 61 feet, trolling just under 3, long leader...
Another boat is having great success with white hootchies at 47 feet...
You pick your favorite!
11958119_1493307364320427_4260071328261135679_o (640x621).jpg

third one down looks springish ? nice cohoes though !! and thx for posting your pics !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back