2015 Amundson TMX5-Theron Review

Chasin' Dreams

Picked myself up an Amundson TMX5-Theron today. Paid $399 for it. The Theron version is exclusive to Pacific Net and Twine. I think the only difference in the Theron from the regular TMX5 is the Theron has a solid back.
These reels have a carbon fiber drag which is said to eliminate line creep. This is the sole reason I bought the reel. To compare it to my Islanders with regards to the drag system.
I don't work for Amundson and I'm just doing this review as my own opinion of the reel so please take it for what it is.

I'm a big fan of fighting fish with almost no drag if possible. I've fished a single action Hardy for over 20 years for Salmon and Steelhead and love it. So saying that, yes I am probably a bit biased in that way. I do love the smoothness of my Islander reels but I do not like the seemingly (to me) drastic increase in drag strength just by turning the drag a little bit. I have 5 Islander MR3's all only a year old and I find the same thing on my reels and others I have fished with. This is just my own personal observation and drag preference so I know there are a lot of guys out there who think differently and some that think similarly to me in this.

I haven't fished this reel yet but am planning to go out this Thursday/Friday to give her a go. Hopefully the fish are biting so I can give a fight feel report about the reel also.

The reel is 4 3/4" and I've got 300 yds of 30 lb mono on it.
With the 300 yds on it, it weighs in at 588 grams. In comparison my smaller 4 1/2" Islanders with 300 yds of mono on them, they weigh in at 544 grams.

One thing I notice that I like about this reel right away is the handles. They are machined aluminum and feel very heavy duty and smooth.

Here's some pics and I'll post a usage report after this Friday.
Theron1.jpgTheron2.jpgTheron3.jpgTheron4.jpgTheron5.jpg

Personally I think it would be nice if they didn't have all that game of thrones etching on the back.. Nice looking reel though and good to see another strong Canadian made product.

StormTrooper thanks for explaining where you're coming from with regards to this reel.

Question for you since you've had a lot to do with this reel; how do you find the reel sound (clicks/screams) when a fish is running?
That's one other thing I look for in a reel too is a great sound when the fish is running. It's especially helpful when fishing solo in a closed in boat. If you have to go inside for something or whatever and a fish hits and runs it's nice to hear that unique sound screaming away to get your attention back to the rod. I loved old Shimano reels for that specifically.
It was mentioned by someone else in the other thread, and I agree, that the Islander reels make more sound reeling in than when the fish runs. Not sure why the developers of the reel did that but that's just one other things I am looking to improve on with a reel if possible.

Wishiniwasfishin1 I agree with you about the graphics. It' a bit much in my opinion but not so much that it would make me not buy the reel if it's good quality. I would prefer and plain color myself. Lol about the Game of Thrones reference.

The area to which you are referring, regarding clicker sound, both THERON and TMX5 under my instruction and request, were to have a reel that while retrieving line is quieter than that of line peeling out on trail of a lunker fish in battle. As far as sound, I am very happy with the 2014 test reels, however I did request a slightly louder clicker alarm, which appears in the 2015 production.

I was happy to be able to crank the rod full force on the downrigger where the drag still allowed for a striking fish to peel line once it was free from the release clip. This was paramount in the development of this drag concept.

That sounds great ST. Thanks for the info. I think we look for very similar things in reels. Can't wait to try it out.

Picked myself up an Amundson TMX5-Theron today. Paid $399 for it. The Theron version is exclusive to Pacific Net and Twine. I think the only difference in the Theron from the regular TMX5 is the Theron has a solid back.
These reels have a carbon fiber drag which is said to eliminate line creep. This is the sole reason I bought the reel. To compare it to my Islanders with regards to the drag system.
I don't work for Amundson and I'm just doing this review as my own opinion of the reel so please take it for what it is.

I'm a big fan of fighting fish with almost no drag if possible. I've fished a single action Hardy for over 20 years for Salmon and Steelhead and love it. So saying that, yes I am probably a bit biased in that way. I do love the smoothness of my Islander reels but I do not like the seemingly (to me) drastic increase in drag strength just by turning the drag a little bit. I have 5 Islander MR3's all only a year old and I find the same thing on my reels and others I have fished with. This is just my own personal observation and drag preference so I know there are a lot of guys out there who think differently and some that think similarly to me in this.

I haven't fished this reel yet but am planning to go out this Thursday/Friday to give her a go. Hopefully the fish are biting so I can give a fight feel report about the reel also.

The reel is 4 3/4" and I've got 300 yds of 30 lb mono on it.
With the 300 yds on it, it weighs in at 588 grams. In comparison my smaller 4 1/2" Islanders with 300 yds of mono on them, they weigh in at 544 grams.

One thing I notice that I like about this reel right away is the handles. They are machined aluminum and feel very heavy duty and smooth.

Here's some pics and I'll post a usage report after this Friday.
View attachment 17977View attachment 17978View attachment 17979View attachment 17980View attachment 17981

Can't wait for your review,CD.Been holding off on purchasing a couple of new moochers until these came out.I've
owned Islanders in the past and got rid of them because of the line creep,especially at greater depths,so I'll be very
interested in how this carbon fiber drag system performs. I like the blue color and I can live with the graphics as well.Just depends on the line creep issue whether I pony up for a pair of these or stick with my old Shimano 4000 GT's!!

Personally I think it would be nice if they didn't have all that game of thrones etching on the back..

LOL, you beat me to it - was thinking exactly the same thing. On a $400 reel surprising it's not solid colours with graphics like that up to the preference of the buyer. Personally think I'd wait until they drop those graphics before considering one.

Having said that, would love to compare the cork drag of the standby's to the carbon drag of these reels. For comparison sake, most high-end level winds and lever drags now incorporate carbon fiber drag.

is there any maintenance req'd on the carbon drag as compared to ensuring to keep your cork from drying out by greasing it or oiling it periodically?

Ukee

Thanks! Consistent with my understanding of carbon discs in conventional reels - no maintenance and high durability despite abuse by big blue water species that can scream line out in a hurry!

Ukee

@Chasin' Dreams

I just noticed in your pictures that the reel you have pictured - it is over loaded. Take some off the spool to show about an 1/8 to 1/4 gap on the spool between where the bulk of the line stops to the top round of the cut out. This in case you line gets wound to one side...don't worry, you have mega line on that spool, more than you'll ever need. I will inform our staff in case it was them who spooled it for you. :)
Not to worry ST it's spooled fine. Bout a 1/4" from cut out. You can see it in the second from bottom pic. I think Shane over at PNT handled the sale and he was very helpful with everything. They shipped it out overnight service and I had it the next day. I'm very used to reels with no level winds so I always hold the reel spool centered towards the fight so the line doesn't build up on one side. All's good :)

Just noticed you mentioned the "cut out" meaning the cut out's on the face of the reel. I usually go a 1/4" from where the top of the spool is which is where the line is so should be fine. I usually trim back line pretty often as it gets chafed on things so no worries. Thanks for looking out ST.

Decent looking reels.....aluminum reel handles are kinda cold I think a high density plastic is better. The graphics are not great and not everyone likes gaudy engravings. Nice to see a reel manufacturer using carbon fiber drag material thats a step up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question about pricing. With all due respect you guys look like you have worked hard to develop a great new reel. The pricing is approx. $100 lower than the Islander which is the standard for a west coast precision reel, and locally made.

The Amundson looks like a quality piece developed in Canada but built in China. I get that there is a lot of engineering involved in designing equipment like this, but shouldn't the reel be a little cheaper of made overseas?

Hey guys, where are you buying these, and what is the price point? I'm looking to upgrade from my Shimanos, and want something that stands out a bit. I have a Rapala Shift, and I want to try something else also.

"something that binds the act of angling and marries the brand to our sport" - this is the part about the "bold" (gaudy?) graphics I don't get. The Game of Thrones'ish sword hilt doesn't seem to be a theme or motif that has anything to do with sport fishing or fishing off the west coast. Fish graphics like on the Abels (which is optional) or some Haida art might make some sense but I don't think the very prominent and intricate sword hilt motif will have a wide ranging appeal in this market. I might be wrong and be in the majority.

Beauty reel other than that and the carbon drag sounds like a winner and a segment changer. I'm sure it'll be a success!

Cheers!

Ukee

Hey guys, where are you buying these, and what is the price point? I'm looking to upgrade from my Shimanos, and want something that stands out a bit. I have a Rapala Shift, and I want to try something else also.

The Amundson rep told me that Army and Navy stores in the lower mainland will also be carrying them. I think he said they will be getting some in this week if I remember correctly.

There are quite a number of stores in BC that carry the TMX5 - on Vancouver Island I Know that River Sportsman, Gone Fishing, PNT, Captain Hook, Island Outfitters, Wise-Buys, Eagle eye and a few others that I have missed will have the TMX5 reels, but only PNT Stores will have the THERON. MSRP is $399.

I know that there are Lower Mainland stores that will be carrying the TMX5 - but uncertain which ones. PNT in Steveston for sure.

What is the price of the regular TMX5 (non Theron) reel?

Didn't mean to be so hard on the new reel. I really like the fact that amundson broke out of the mold a bit on this. I prefer a more stealthy look on a reel, my personal taste. Is there a chance at some point to offer a reel without the engraving. As far as the aluminum handles, when I am winter Chinook fishing aluminum gets very cold and is not a lot of fun to grab onto with already cold hands. A high density engineered plastic is not as bad for this. my final question.......will you ever offer a model with freespool?

The graphics on the back aren't engraved. Not sure what the method used was to put the graphics on; maybe powder coating? Looks like it's put on over the main reel color. Maybe it's possible to take it off?
The graphic isn't too bad to me really but saying that I still would prefer a plain all the same color reel. I love the blue though. Matches my boat very nicely :)

The Amundson looks like a quality piece developed in Canada but built in China. I get that there is a lot of engineering involved in designing equipment like this, but shouldn't the reel be a little cheaper of made overseas?

In marketing, cost and price have no correlation whatsoever other than price is never lower than cost. A product is worth as much as someone will pay for it, not a penny more, not a penny less.

In marketing, cost and price have no correlation whatsoever other than price is never lower than cost. A product is worth as much as someone will pay for it, not a penny more, not a penny less.
Yes true and the fact is that quality products can and do come from overseas. Not just junk that we mostly hear about. It all depends on sourcing, materials used, quality control and the relationship between the importer/developers/manufacturers etc..
I would love to support and purchase a completely made in Canada product over an imported one if the products were equally the same in quality or even if the Canadian made one was a bit more, but if they aren't I will still buy the better quality one. The fact is that even if a product is imported that Canadian importer is still supplying jobs to Canadians and still bringing money into our economy. I've had an import business since 2005. I've seen a lot of crappy products and a lot of good ones. It can go either way. This reel feels and looks like a good quality product so far. Time will tell after the ocean tests though.

I think the graphics are killer..frees-pool is not a deal breaker, I wanna see how that drag works with a monster pulling at the other end, im sure there is a lodge somewhere given them a go, cant wait to see a video of a big spring screaming line off the reel...if it doesn't have a buttery smooth drag I would be skeptical but from all accounts so far Admundson is onto something with this style of drag system...

Back