2014 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

EC Marine forecast is worst case scenario for the entire southern half of the West Coast of the Island - so far from accurate for any particular spot. For Ukee and Tofino I rely on Big Wave Dave's Long Beach wind forecast (http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php?page=1) and Swell Watch 3D's wind and wave forecasts (http://forecasts.surfingmagazine.com). Big Wave Dave has it looking half decent Sat afternoon through Sunday, as does Swell Watch.

Ukee

Just out of curiosity what boats did you go out on? The fishing has been a little slower than the usual this June but limits are being met there's just a little travel involved plus the decent size Hali's are in close right now so there's no need to pound your way out on rough days just may limit the access to plentiful salmon grounds and force one to work the sound which some areas are decent you just have to move around a bit to find them. Most of the guides in Ukee aren't local they may have a flashy big boat but it doesn't mean your going to catch lots of fish your experience doesn't represent Ucluelet and the fabulous fishing location it is that's why I ask who's boat. When the fishing is slow only the local guides are going to shine when the fishing is hot every guide pretty much shines.

Hey, I resemble some of those coments!
Be nice.

Hey, I resemble some of those coments!
Be nice.

Echo that. There are a lot of Ukee, Bami and Port Alberni guides that fit that "not local" description. Yet, I would list some of them as the most talented guides on the coast and in a league above the rest. Best everyone just plays nice as Ken suggests.

A little controversial my commentary sometimes sorry to unintentionally group some that are great fishermen always seems to be a flip side to any comment lol! Anyhow windy tough day on the water yesterday how ever lots of fish off Meares yesterday ended up with 6 springs and a few bottom fish in the boat 3 springs were a pretty good size. Lots of undersized fish as well a little catch and release along the way.

Finished up a 3 day trip and 4 guys ended up with 14 Chinook, 4 Coho, 8 nice size Halibut, 10 Lings, 12 mixed rock cod species, 2 Pacific Cod ( Gray Cod ), 3 Sculpin toting a huge amount of meat to take home. Fishing is great! Could have gotten more fish but the 2 day combined possession held us back from more Halibut etc.

Finished up a 3 day trip and 4 guys ended up with 14 Chinook, 4 Coho, 8 nice size Halibut, 10 Lings, 12 mixed rock cod species, 2 Pacific Cod ( Gray Cod ), 3 Sculpin toting a huge amount of meat to take home. Fishing is great! Could have gotten more fish but the 2 day combined possession held us back from more Halibut etc.

I think most can tolerate the listing of your catch if you provide some basic additional info in your post:
appropriate fishing location, depth and gear?
Thanks

Rats Nose, Long Beach, Lighthouse Bank, & Meares book a trip and you will find out the rest. Some basic details Meares 60 - 100 ft depending on time of day, spoons work well there quick troll or even very slow just depends on the day. Offshore white turd early morning about 15 - 20 ft off the bottom then change over to a spoon 6 ft leader middle to late in the day quick troll. Hali holes are sacred spreader bar work producing big hali's my ling spots are sacred as well. Have a couple old commercial spoons that have been kicking butt when the usuals aren't producing along the shoreline. Coho go crazy for the anchovies offshore at 120 - 140 ft quick troll. Be prepared to burn some fuel the fish are spotty but they are here if you don't pick salmon up in the first hour you better start moving around to get on them. South Bank has been a bust so far last year this time it was good I keep a fishing diary and this year is different than the last couple no doubt but it is still good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rats Nose, Long Beach, Lighthouse Bank, & Meares book a trip and you will find out the rest. Some basic details Meares 60 - 100 ft depending on time of day, spoons work well there quick troll or even very slow just depends on the day. Offshore white turd early morning about 15 - 20 ft off the bottom then change over to a spoon 6 ft leader middle to late in the day quick troll. Hali holes are sacred spreader bar work producing big hali's my ling spots are sacred as well. Have a couple old commercial spoons that have been kicking butt when the usuals aren't producing along the shoreline. Coho go crazy for the anchovies offshore at 120 - 140 ft quick troll. Be prepared to burn some fuel the fish are spotty but they are here if you don't pick salmon up in the first hour you better start moving around to get on them. South Bank has been a bust so far last year this time it was good I keep a fishing diary and this year is different than the last couple no doubt but it is still good.

Great info Ucluelet Charters. Pulling the boat up this coming weekend if all goes according to plan so all info is most appreciated. It looks like I may need to be prepared to burn some fuel to get to where I need to be not to mention fishing some areas I haven't fished in the past.

Word is lots of big fish piled up north of Tofino I'm just waiting for the flood gates to open our way. There are lots of fish around here good eating Chinooks just not consistent Big Chinooks but hey it's June it will come maybe these rains will push them down this weekend.

Word is lots of big fish piled up north of Tofino I'm just waiting for the flood gates to open our way. There are lots of fish around here good eating Chinooks just not consistent Big Chinooks but hey it's June it will come maybe these rains will push them down this weekend.

Hopefully they will move down soon. It would sure be nice to see them for the long weekend as I will be over for 5 days. (Home for me is Vancouver). It would also be nice to see some large schools of Pilchards this summer. I love fishing the large spoons and especially the large plugs.

h.e.h.

Fished south bank out to south west corner . Slow . 1 hatchery . Went out to rats nose . 6 springs 3 hatchery 1 wild let go. No great size yet . 1 Hali 1 sole . Hali really slow for a change out there ?

Just back from a week in Ukee and the predominant theme was WIND!!! Wow did it blow up some days. Stayed at Meares too long last Sunday while the NW blew up to 20+ and the wind chop stacked up in Loudon channel crossing back from the broken group to Ukee harbour - very scary and humbling experience in 4-5 ft wind waves. Slow, steady and careful and made it back safe. Every day the forecast and conditions seemed to change for the worse and wind blew hard from the NW, SE and SW, sometimes changing 180 degrees from day to day.

Big guide boats were getting out to Big Bank most days and it was on fire early in the week with limits of smallish springs and nice halibut and the odd nice ling. By the end of the week Big Bank wasn't producing consistent hali for them it seemed and springs were very small. We fished the Effingham and Austin Island area predominantly as we only got off shore in my 18 foot Hewes one day and no where else inside seemed to be holding any bait. Fishing was slow but steady for us at Meares, with very good quality. Lots of smalls around some days but also a good number of teeners and we got fish up to 23lbs. Tried jigging a couple of afternoons, but again the wind made it tough to stay on structure or keep anything but big cod jigs on the bottom. Did get two very nice lings and some very large rockfish at some protected spots.

Our one day offshore we headed to Southbank as we heard the halibut fishing at least had been good. Started at the adipose and the chinook bite was actually pretty good for the first couple of hours. Eventually chinook bite shut off and juvenile lings took over, couldn't keep the little buggers off so moved to Inside South. Immediate double - teener spring and a 14lb hali, then that was it.

Beautiful tourist weather - blue skies every day except for heavy rain on Thursday. Swell was small but the wind was relentless and thus was sloppy or borderline dangerous for smaller boats. Recent reports of lack of bait are pretty accurate, though Meares is holding pretty decent bait and Great Bear was starting to our last try there - though only catching rock fish on the bait balls at Great Bear. First half of the week all the bait seemed to be squid and fish were either empty or had squid in them. Not surprising hoohcies out fished spoons with purple haze being our top produces. Second half herring were showing in guts and saw our first and only needlefish of the trip. Spoons really turned on with Kingfishers and Coho killers both producing and Irish Creme and Irish flag both doing ok. Tides weren't great for fishing inside last week but Friday, when we were able to fish through a high slack, was definitely the most consistent 2-3 hours of the week.

Pretty tired from long days and dealing with wind and sea state that had us constantly figuring out where and how to fish safely and successfully. Looks to have changed for the better for anyone heading over soon.

Cheers,

Ukee

Fished Sat for 4 hours around starfish area. Picked up 2 hali 20-25 lbs & 2 springs 7 & 14 lb ish. Still slow but tons of bait on screen. No whales to be seen either. Pretty slow. Heard their was 4 springs caught by another lot owner just inside by mussel beach. Not sure on size. Most boats at Salmon beach came in with no fish. Salmon had small minnows in one fish & 3" herring in other. Caught salmon on small needle fish lure with one hook.
Hope they show up soon !!!!

I was working all weekend on the fish camp but buddy got out both mornings.

22 lb. Spring first day fishing the ditch of all things!!!!

35 lb. Hali right off the bat Sunday morn. Then a couple of 20 plus lbs springs to finish the day off.

Cheers
Sculpin

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Got out on the weekend and fished Mears on Saturday AM, shook off a few Jacks then went to a nearby spot and set the pick. Picked up 2 'buts (25 and 35) in the first 30 mins on anchor then waited out a tide change for 2.5 more hours only to bring up two massive skates. That 3rd fish for the limit is always the hardest! Trolled diplock from an hour before evening tide change to sundown on Saturday night, soo much bait and not one hit. We changed our gear, speed, did a little sacrificial ritual.....nothing!

Sunday we made our way out to south bank, moved around a few times in the morning with the same results, small springs (only a couple of keepers) and the odd codfish. No buts, no decent springs for us. Got on the jig train in the afternoon and pulled up a couple nice lings and called it a weekend.

All in all another great weekend in Barkley Sound with awesome weather.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

last 4 days (actually 3 after the hurricane on Thursday) in ukey found a few keeper springs offshore biggest was 28 and got a couple nice halis as well. I just hope I don't see another 4-5# hatchery spring for a while. I thought there were supposed to be 4 year olds around not just 2's

Slow on the inside, hard to fish this weekend but we managed to get offshore long beach Sunday. Once there we got 2 chicken Hali, 3 springs, and numerous coho hook ups and kept one at 8 pounds.
Springs were all cookie cutter low to mid teens caught at bottom. 8 pound coho took the spoon before it was clipped to rigger. Fun day but fairly choppy water with south winds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back