2014 Tuna Adventures

Ya! me too just got a bit of a picture of SST and will be out at CC around 50 to 55 miles maybe 60. VHF 78 or 10 Boats Name: Dawn Patrol. P U M P E D!!!

Two top gun's leading the way !!!! Nice !!! Hope you guy's have a great day & great reports to follow !!!
Hit em Hard !!!
Slick

Actually I am not going. Couldn't crew my boat. Oh well, good to know there will be 2 or three sporties out there. Can't wait for the report. Good luck fellas. Calm seas.

Looking forward to your reports.
Yes it is true Albacore Within 15 mile of the beach inside of the South Brooks Buoy. Check it out on the SST. It usually happens about mid August & last until the 1st big storm in Sept. which pushes the warm water to the south west, Down island & out.
The reason this happens is the ocean currents move down island off Cape Scott then hooks around Brooks Peninsula drawing the warm water inshore. Check out the SST current report. This current is well know by the sail boat folks. that is why most circumnavigate the Island counter clockwise. The currents is named the "Davis Current".
We are very fortunate on the north WCVI - Nootka, Esperanza & Kyuquot- to have this exciting TUNA fishery at our door step (relatively speaking) for approx. 4 wks each year. Can't wait to get out there!!!

The reports are going to be good!! Not epic but good.

You guys will have to wait until tomorrow for a full report and pics. But we went 11 for 12 in some unreal weather... Eating sashimi at the cabin right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome.....as we were out off Tofino I yesterday and Friday I was wondering in that awesome weather of anyone had run out? She is glass calm here this morning too.

Got a couple pics of the haul on my phone from this morning before loining so I will post a bit of a report.

Pulled away from the cabin in pisspot at 0500 and headed towards 48 32 by 127 6 on some commercial intel. We finally saw some decent water at 0800 at about the 5000' line. 60.4 degrees and clear but not really blue. We dumped out a spread of green zuker clones under the sun and trolled due west.

0815 and it was fish on for my first tuna of the season and the first tuna for the rest of the crew on Oceans Edge. We did two tacks at that location with no more action so we soldiered on westward for about an hour in some pretty poor water with little life around, picking up one more fish.

0930 we turned south as we could see a couple of commies on the radar. Worked our way towards them picking up a couple of singles here and there.

Finally found some better water around noon at 48 28 by 126 44 and hit a few double headers and a triple header. The third fish of the triple broke the rod holder clean off the boat at strike and that was the missed fish of the day, we lost the fish, the rod/reel and the rod holder on that one!

@ 1330 we started packing up the gear and headed to the big bank to try our luck for Hali and springs.

Came in through the canyons in some crazy sandy green water that I've never seen before, it was similar to the algae bloom in Barkley except the visibility was excellent, we were spotting sharks from 500 yards at 30 mph and all kinds of sub surface wildlife. Once we hit the shelf there was a hard colour break back to the dark green we are used to.
agyzu2er.jpg

Back at the cabin we had 11 tuna iced down. The peanut was 20 lbs, we cut him up and devoured the whole thing between 5 guys last night. We left 10 on ice overnight, the smallest of which was 30 and the largest was 34. A great grade of fish!

Here's a couple of pics from before the loining party this morning. I might have a few action shots later on of the guys send me their pics.

Cheers,

za7enusy.jpg

vunavute.jpg

amuzu8az.jpg

a3apeqyd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made out out today with some(sport) intel from the day before and enough satellite data to confirm where to fish. Run out to 45 miles. Start getting into fish before all the gear is out. Keep getting fish after the gear needs to be all in. Boat full/out of ice, by 11 am from an area less than 1 square kilometre with exceptionally blue water and no other boats in sight. Im pooped. Cant have these good days without the guys who go out and do the research. Hats off to those guys. Sorry no photographer this trip.

Heard some good intel this evening too. Harper, I have a hunch your bro was fishing with my budding. The intel, the description of your boat and your numbers all add up. Great job, both Harper and Nest. Been a long time now since I was out, but I can live very vicariously through you guys.

Yeah i've seen tuna on the docks from sport boats in Tofino for 3 days now

Good to see you made it out and it was well worth it for ya. Good reports guys and sounds like epic days. Thx

Back