2014 Tuna Adventures

Something like 10 boats 5 tuna is the rumor.
None for us in 2 days. Hope it picks up soon. Weather and water temp were perfect.
Nice day for a long boat ride.

Unfortunately I got sick and had to bail out the morning of. Sounds like the water conditions were great but the fish weren't biting. I just read bloody decks and the guys down in Washington are reporting the same thing. I wonder if it's the big moons?

The perplexing problem... Why don't they bite when I see jumpers??? Drives me nuts!!
Seems like every time I see lots of jumpers I also have mixed or green water, and lots of baitfish jumping as well. Are they keyed in on the bait, is it a lack of visibility due to high chloro? They also seem to fight sluggishly when hooked during these scenarios. Makes me want rum!!!
Perhaps I need to stop trolling, get out the chum and jig or down rig. My best trips have involved substantial amounts of chum but lately I've been a cheapskate. Any suggestions may or may not buy me sleep....

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like 10 boats 5 tuna is the rumor.
None for us in 2 days. Hope it picks up soon. Weather and water temp were perfect.
Nice day for a long boat ride.

Would be nice if someone posted a report....good or bad.

It's not happening in our area for sure.

Would be nice if someone posted a report....good or bad.

It's not happening in our area for sure.

Was out last week off Quatsino. Poor Terrafin due to cloud cover. Found 61- 62.5* water and jumpers + bait, no blue water. Tuna would not bite but the coho liked the xrap at 5-7 knots.

Tuna fishing on Sept 6th

Great weekend for weather! Left the dock with DAK at 500am out of Bamfield headed to the southwest . We. Had great info from fellow Tuna enthusiasts on chlora and temps. We tried at. 60miles and again at 85 miles ( or was it ninety ?) It was a tough day to work so hard with out a bite let alone a fish. Maybe it is the super moon throwing them off the bite.... I would say a complete absence of birds and other sea life might of had something to do with it as well. There is always a chance that the fish won't be there when you show up... Regardless it was still a great run offshore and at 60 miles we saw numerous humpbacks and our buddy boat managed a couple of very nice coho. The shoot out is coming up quick... Hoping that the conditions change and the fish get back to their usual routine ASAP. Good luck to all the boats in the upcoming Derby and thank you to DAK for being a great buddy boat on Saturday.

The perplexing problem... Why don't they bite when I see jumpers??? Drives me nuts!!
Seems like every time I see lots of jumpers I also have mixed or green water, and lots of baitfish jumping as well. Are they keyed in on the bait, is it a lack of visibility due to high chloro? They also seem to fight sluggishly when hooked during these scenarios. Makes me want rum!!!
Perhaps I need to stop trolling, get out the chum and jig or down rig. My best trips have involved substantial amounts of chum but lately I've been a cheapskate. Any suggestions may or may not buy me sleep....

It's been documented quite extensively by our much more experienced tuna fishing neighbors to the south that the fish rarely hit the trolled gear this late in the season. the only trolling technique that seems consistent for those guys at this time of year is slow trolling swimbaits. The fact that many guys here have slayed on the troll in September is probably more of an anomaly then what we are experiencing right now given their experience. With all that said, seems like even the pros to the south are having a hard time. That's the way she goes I guess...

Awsome Saturday but where r all the tuna? we boated 2 and lost 2 with 10 hours of trolling and had to run into Beale with one motor from 90 miles off the beach
we had spun the prop on one motor. all the conditions were good, gin blue and 63 degree water but no fish. all in all we had great time, got a sun burn, and popped another cherry
it should turn around for next week cant wait.....

Perhaps it's a "match the hatch" type scenario. Heading out on wed- Thursday off Quatsino. Will try diff tech if they won't take the usual on the troll.

I headed out of Esperanza on Friday and Saturday with forum members Cohochinook and LachlanS. Friday was a tough slog, blowing just under 20knts. We couldn't find warm water, but managed to get one.
Saturday had beautiful conditions. We ventured further out, found 62F water, and it was clear. We worked gear, running xraps, cedar plugs, zukers, feathers and clones. Nada bite!!! Yeah it was frustrating, but the weather made was wonderful.
I also think it was the moon. I believe that some boats are heading out of Esperanza tomorrow, and it'll be interesting to see how they make out.
There was no life out there. No birds, just the odd ones. Saw a bunch of humpbacks close in, but nothing out where we were fishing.
I hope things work out this week, as next weekend is my last kick at the tuna can.

It was a very humbling experience this past Friday and Saturday. Firelight, Jeffy, and myself were loaded for bear with tons of fuel and ice for 2 days of tuna fishing. I have never had a skunk trip tuna fishing until now. I guess it was due to happen. Thursday was hard deciding where to go with all the information to digest. We decided to go to the best shot from terrafin which was right around the ammo dump West of the Clayquot Canyon.

We started off on Friday morning with a flat trailer tire on the way to Ukee. Finally got that dealt with and off to a late start. We pounded our way up to the ammo dump averaging 20 mph the whole way. It's a long run from Ukee. We hit the temp break and the water was gin blue clear as well. We thought game on!. We radioed boats but the only other boat out there was a commercial boat. We talked a bit on the radio and they hadn't had a tuna bite all morning!!!. They only thing they hooked was a Steel head lol (apparently this happens time to time). There was very little sign of life out there. Very few birds, no bait on the screen, and only 1 small pod of porpoises. We trolled for around 4 or 5 hours with out a single hit. Headed back in and refueled.

Saturday morning we launched at Toquart. We thought there would be some boats down at the Barkley and we could spread out and try to find the elusive long fins. Well we got out there and everyone except Trophyhunter went up to the ammo dump lol. There was only one good patch down there that was 80 miles off the beach and right next to the border. We made it down there quite quickly as the seas were very nice. The wild life down there was amazing. We saw 2 pods of orcas, tons of bait on the screen, tons and tons of birds, and probably passed 50 humpbacks!!!. We hit the temp break as the temp jumped from about 56 to 59 in about a mile. The water wasn't blue blue but was clear. We were just about to radio TH and drop the lines when my low oil alarm went off. I miscalculated the oil burn due to the first hour of the trip being able to do 32 mph. We had 4 liters on board and put that in but had to bleed the air out of the small tank on the motor. I was back on the swim grid with the cover off bleeding the air out of the motor tank. Thank god the seas were nice as this would have been very difficult to do otherwise. We decided to not risk fishing and headed all the way back keeping it at 3800 rpm to nurse the oil. We radioed TH and told him our situation. He said he had 4 litres of oil on board if we needed it. Nice to know and thanks again TH. We made it back to Ukee with less than a liter left. Good call. Note to self: bring lots of oil!!!.

We stopped for a few minutes on the way in and Jeff caught a nice ling. Pretty expensive ling lol. So total for the 2 trips was about 750 in fuel and oil, 105 in ice (Jeffs ling won't spoil ha ha), and 100 bucks for a new trailer tire. That's fishing and I think I have said it before...........this is an expensive fishery. Still had a good time with good company in 2 days of amazing weather out there. Its nice having a couple of guys on board that are handy and intuitive. It makes things go better and gives you a better felling knowing they can deal with problems if you get into a pickle out there.

I think the long fins will show back up and I am looking forward to the nice weather for the start of the shootout!!!

We are staying at the beam and will be talking to some of you folks on Friday. Oh yeah, with swim baits and chunk bait in hand :).

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Good try John-another thread in Life's rich Tapestry. New fishery and lots to learn -for sure. Better luck next time-good read by the way. As an aside-did you check for Bananas?

I had the good fortune to spend last week fishing out of Westcoast Resorts, Englefield Bay on the west side of the Charlottes. The weather was very good for the time of year and conditions allowed a group of 5 guide boats and guests to head out for tuna last Thursday. They really aren't set up for tuna fishing but basically loaded the fish boxes with ice, and each boat ran 4 hali rods with hootchies skimming the top. Only needed to run about an and hour out (around 15 - 20 miles) to find the right water temps and get on fish. All of the boats did fairly well - about 4 -5 tuna per boat for a few hours effort.

They were back at the lodge by early afternoon to process the catch and back out salmon fishing later.

Unfortunately I wasn't in one of the boats that ran out. Amazing that the tuna are heading that far north. Not sure if this is fairly common up there or if the El Nino year just created the right conditions.

Good luck to everyone at the shootout.

Tough break there sculpin......as for tuna in the Charlottes they are there almost every year from mid august to mid September just not many people head out for them.

Made our first shot at Tuna on Thursday . Started out with gate locked at Toquart for about 30 min. Got on water buy 630 am & headed for Barkley Canyon . Was foggy most of the day. Water was 56 in start of Canyon & dropped to 53 . As we went further started coming back up . Did a test troll in 59 degree water & no action . Picked up & ran for 25-30 min. We were into 62 degree water in canyon 70-80 miles ! Too far ! Started trolling back in & had 4 fish hit in 59.5 degree water. First 2 fish were on but got off ??? The small trebles on the diving lure lost 2 . The blue feathered lure with twin hook brought them in no problem. Was not bad ride out but long ride back . Rolled into Salmon beach around 10 pm that night. Was beat. Had one good birds nest with lines once but overall was not to bad for first time. $600. In fuel for 2 fish ouch !!! Two bad the Big one gotta way. Was a good learning day. Cheers Slick.

Back