2014 Tuna Adventures

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Sculpin, Dec 27, 2013.

  1. dak

    dak Member

    Sent you cell phone and sat phone information.
  2. kelly

    kelly Well-Known Member

    I ripped out of town for a few days but might be heading out those days if the water sits down. If so ill come by Mills for a BS.
  3. dak

    dak Member

    Forecast shows 1.4m seas at 20s for Fri/Sat at the Barkley Canyon, 26C and Sunny......hope it holds.
  4. kelly

    kelly Well-Known Member

    I'll believe it when we are doing 25 knots past big bank in the dark....
  5. eriks

    eriks Active Member

    I'm heading to Esperanza this weekend, and will post a report if we get out. What is the max winds that you guys would make you bail on your trip? I have outriggers on a classic Whaler, 28'LWL. I don't want to get too beat up either (out there with my 14yr old son). I think we were out in 15-20kts last year, and it was a slog after a while.
    The warmer waters have moved offshore again according to Terrafin. I don't have Bouy Weather, so I'm relying on Environment Canada's marine forecast. It's a long way to go (Esperanza), and I'm willing to risk it and tough it out as I just won't have many opportunities to fish this year.
  6. Sculpin

    Sculpin Well-Known Member

    My threshold is 18 mph on the way out. If I can't do that it's not worth going IME. I think the water still looks good up there. It's still a heck of a lot shorter run than us folks South of you. I'm preparing for 60+ mile run if necessary tomorrow as the water seems to have moved off a bit down here as well. Weather tomorrow and Saturday for the Clayquot area looks stellar on buoyweather. It's go time!!!
  7. Pippen

    Pippen Well-Known Member

    Just an FYI.....if you don't have the subscription you CAN get the two day forecast for free. I find especially on the WCVI it MUCH more reliable than Env. Canada.

    Zoom in where you are looking at.....click....and "tada"!! You get the 2 day forecast.


    Here is the two day for clicking just offshore of Esperanza. (I don't have a subscription either) You can click anywhere on the map be it close in to Esperanza....or well offshore.

    [TABLE="class: forecast"]
    <tbody> [TR]
    [TD="class: day"]Thursday 9/4
    Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small long period swell.
    Seas: SW 1.1 to 1.4 meters at 13 seconds.
    Winds: NNW 6 to 8 knots.

    Light winds with a slight chop. Small long period swell.
    Seas: SW 1 to 1.4 meters at 13 seconds.
    Winds: WNW 8 to 11 knots.

    <!-- day --> [TD="class: day"] Friday 9/5
    Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small long period swell.
    Seas: SW 0.8 to 1 meters at 13 seconds.
    Winds: NE 1 to 2 knots.

    Light and variable winds with smooth seas. Small long period swell.
    Seas: SW 0.8 to 1 meters at 18 seconds.
    Winds: WNW 5 to 7 knots.

  8. bigdogeh

    bigdogeh Well-Known Member

    only prob with nootka and or esperanza is that it's hard to check buoyweather, etc without internet (cell hotspot) service... i don't think there's cell service anywhere out around there unless your in tahsis or something like that. not even sure if they have it there but imagine they might. maybe some of the lodges in that area are using a satellite hotspot?
  9. Unchained

    Unchained Member

    I am interested in going out from Bamfield but my fishing partner is not available until Sunday. Is anyone thinking of going Sunday or, weather permitting, are any of you guys who are going Saturday interested in staying overnight. If yes, then we could head out in the late afternoon Saturday and join you.
  10. kelly

    kelly Well-Known Member

    Just confirmed we are headed out of Bam on Saturday weather permitting.
  11. Slivo

    Slivo Member

    unchained I sent you a message
  12. Birdsnest

    Birdsnest Well-Known Member

    I'm out for Friday or Saturday but I would consider an overnighter Saturday if the weather forecast was better.
    Weather.... I do use buoy weather but I do like to see that EC is relatively on the same page. Don't for get to check the weather 5o-60 miles off shore on buoy weather just to get an idea of what kind of conditions are close to you. This would be the SE explorer region on EC. Always worth a check IMHO.

    Good luck to you all. Calm seas:)
  13. Bod

    Bod Well-Known Member

    Weather was great out on the big bank today and looks even better for the weekend. Sounds like a few boats will be heading out of Bamfield. Wish I was one of them but I'll be Salmon fishing and looking that way wishing.
  14. Sculpin

    Sculpin Well-Known Member

    Headed NW to the ammo dump off the Clayquot Canyon. Shots look best up there. Will report back tomorrow evening.
  15. Osama Bin Hopper

    Osama Bin Hopper Active Member

    Heading out with Dak tomorrow morning. I think three other Bamfield boats as well, cant wait!
  16. Smiley

    Smiley Well-Known Member

    We are headed out for Saturday as well. Be in Bamfield Friday eve getting ready. Dak are you staying at Mills? Sculpin are you out of Bamfield or Tofino? Fished with San Mateo III a couple weeks ago in fog the whole day nice that the weather is looking better this trip.... Looking to coordinate with others for buddy boats My cell is 250 816 1093 . Thomas
  17. MaxFish

    MaxFish New Member

    3 boats headed out of Ucluelet Saturday. Still haven't decided where we are heading Loudon or Barkley canyon. Waiting for msg from commercial buddy on his sat phone. Any recent reports? 40-60 miles?
  18. getbent

    getbent Well-Known Member

    Can't wait to see the reports, be in town on the 12th just I'm time for the BBQ shakedown at the Beam
  19. kelly

    kelly Well-Known Member

    That was me standing out on big bank in the rain catching 6lb coho and 15 lb hali on Monday while you Tuna fished!

    Did you get the email? PM me your address if not.
  20. tykkyt e blue

    tykkyt e blue Well-Known Member

    No reports? or no one went out?
    Sockeye fishing in Vancouver distracted me...

Share This Page