2014 Tuna Adventures

One boat out of tofino yesterday. No luck, windy and no good water.
Ill be giving it a rub today on Florida style tuna boat that will go the distance fast so we will go the distance 60 miles and try to get'er don.

Nice to read some other reports.

One boat out of tofino yesterday. No luck, windy and no good water.
Ill be giving it a rub today on Florida style tuna boat that will go the distance fast so we will go the distance 60 miles and try to get'er don.

Nice to read some other reports.

Those twin 250's will get you guys out there fast! You sure got Randy hooked now, lol.

6 4 9 All in the first 2 hours then nothing. Never found good water. Ya, fast ride out at 28 kn then 35 kn on the way in. Not in my boat today. Was in a 35 foot Florida tuna/smuggling boat. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I was fishing out of Nootka right now. Sigh.

Was out on the San Mateo today. We got 15. The other boat got 12. We had to stop at the rats nose for the first bit until the water got better. Got some salmon and a Hali.

Was out on the San Mateo today. We got 15. The other boat got 12. We had to stop at the rats nose for the first bit until the water got better. Got some salmon and a Hali.
Sweet! But no blue water? Find any good temps. Details please.

We went a little past the beginning of Barclay canyon. I will take a pictur of the marks tomorrow and forward them to you. It was hard to tell the water colour. Little rough. Temp was 54.9 at big bank and 58.6 at tuna grounds. Not sure how accurate it is. The othe boat said his was 60.5

We went a little past the beginning of Barclay canyon. I will take a pictur of the marks tomorrow and forward them to you. It was hard to tell the water colour. Little rough. Temp was 54.9 at big bank and 58.6 at tuna grounds. Not sure how accurate it is. The othe boat said his was 60.5

Always a good idea to calibrate thermometers prior to fishing especially when buddy boating. This allows buddy boats to communicate temps while on the search. If you cant calibrate with a thermometer at least at some point when the boats are side by side get an idea of the difference. Even if each boat calibrates independently it is a good idea to check the difference some time before spitting up.

I use one of these, fairly cheap, fairly simple.
http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045...-instant-read-thermometer-reviews/reviews.htm

It's crazy good off Kyuquot Sound for albacore right now. Check out these pics from the Rugged Point Lodge tweet:
BvsfwMVIIAA3rRm.jpgBvsfwWGIMAAw5NH.jpg

Had a great weekend with Killer B's and the Ricks. Great crew to buddy boat with!
Offshore conditions were marginal so it was critical to have a reliable crew close by.
Our first tuna was a double header and they were probably close to 30lbs each.
The other boat schooled us on salmon and tuna, but we did get the biggest ling ;-) and the prettiest cabezon (yes I did just write that, it was a spectacular vibrant pink and purple).
Now to find where our salmon went...

Good times Smiley. If you guys are around for the shoot out let me know. Maybe we can head out again. We will be there the full week. Final count was 17.
image.jpg

TC: water colour was kind of turquoise, neither blue nor green.
Wx conditions were not conducive to a big search for better temp and colour so we feel lucky to have caught any!

I am trying my candying process on tuna. Brining now. Will report back tomorrow!

TC: water colour was kind of turquoise, neither blue nor green.
Wx conditions were not conducive to a big search for better temp and colour so we feel lucky to have caught any!
It's awesome you guys did well in not so great conditions, my last trip was in really bad conditions and our buddy boat pulled the plug after 10 min, we trolled Loudon for almost 2 hours and ran down too Barkley and the water was green and cold so we ended the day at the rats. Burned a lot of fuel and that was it, but that was 3 weeks ago and am itching to go and looking for any intel I can to help make a decision for this weekend. Thanks for the info.

Okay...candied tuna absolutely rocks! Seriously this fishery now puts the boots to any other that I have tried - you get adventure, crazy fish takes, and awesome eats!
Especially the toro, although you need a small spatula or spoon to eat it because it is sooooo tender.
A word for the wise: don't invite friends over to sample this unless you are feeling generous. They will inhale it!

Hey Smiley, post up your recipe in the recipe section please...would love to try making some...

I was planning on taking my boat to Tofino this weekend, but it seems like a long way out to go, looking at Terrafin. The weather forecast seems to be good though. Does anyone know where I could leave a 30' long trailer for a few weeks? Is the harbor the best bet for moorage for a few weeks?

Back