2014 Tuna Adventures

Here's a fat little piggy from just south of the border last week....tipping em at 45 lbs -

It was a long day yesterday. The water was smooth all day but we had a hard time finding fish. With all the clouds lately, we didn't have any good, recent data from Terafin so I had to make a guess based on 3-day old data. I must have guessed wrong. I ran down the south edge of Juan de Fuca canyon looking for signs of life and blue water. Went as far out as 70 miles. Water was green but fairly clear and made it up to as high as 66F. Saw a few sunfish, only one shark but never saw jumpers, dolphin, whales or birds hitting the water. Trolled from about 11AM until 6:30PM. We had one single which we landed, and one triple where one didn't stick long, one came unbuttoned after a minute or two and one was landed. Both of the fish we landed were huge 30+ lbs the one might hit 40. I ran clover leafs all around the spot of the triple but couldn't get another hit. A bit later in 2800' of water a line went off and we landed a roughly 15# wild coho (released). Got the lines deployed again, got up to 6-7kts and it happened again but this time it was a hatchery fish. One more time, got up to speed and another coho hit (wild). I've never caught coho trolling that fast and in water that deep and warm. Interestingly 2 of the three coho bites were on the clone behind the splash birds which makes me think about trying to use splash birds to fish for coho in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
One boat out of Tofino yesterday(not me): In good water- no bites in the morning but managed to go 11 for 17 in the afternoon with one triple. Seems to be some good water around the ammo dump but as cdna states no pictures= big guesses.
Looks like its going to start blowing NW for 4 or 5 days which will shake things up out there but we will get some pictures.

Have a pair of tuna outriggers that came with my boat (27 ft Grady White Sailfish) that I'm looking to trade for a 4 stroke electric start long shaft kicker. As far as I can tell, they are in brand new condition. No pic handy but I can get some (and more info) if your interested. Give me a call at 250 727 5601 . Cheers , James.

A boat was out of Bamfield on the 15th and nuked them! Heard an unconfirmed report of a billfish sighting as well. Cant wait until I'm done Salmon fishing and get out there.

Looking to get out this week for Tuna. Fishing out of Bamfield probably friday saturday wx permitting. Got a couple trips in last year with some success....Looking for buddy boats.

Billfish sighting!! Wouldn't that be sweet... Game changer, only a matter of time I would think

Billfish sighting!! Wouldn't that be sweet... Game changer, only a matter of time I would think

get that one confirmed and you'll really start turning guys on to blue water fishing. I know theoretically swordfish may come this far north, so it's possible. Incredibaly hard fish to catch, even in waters where they are common.

A little gas for this fire :cool:.... This was posted on the WA BD forum today:

Haida gwaii tuna from yesterday.....I believe they caught about 50... Total. The real kicker is only being 16 miles offshore.
DSC_1053.JPGDSC_1059.JPG

DSC_1071.jpgDSC_1051.jpgHaha news travels fast...I just posted those pics of my bro earlier. That is just off port Louis at the outpost. Here are a few more.

Wouldn't that be something... Sounds like it would be one of the most expensive ratios of Recreational dollars spent : Number of Fish caught! :p Imagine being the first to get a sport caught Billfish in the West coast of Canada though? Wow

I was reading the HG reports - all the signs were there, not surprised they got some finally!

Hello, everyone.

Our plan is to be in Bamfield for Thursday evening and will be prepped for an Albie run on any of Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
We are looking to be part of a group, will not make a solo trip. Our crew has experience with this fishery, as well an excellent rig - in other words we will not be a burden to any group!

Why Knot, DAK, Tuna Don, Fifth Element, others? Who is going?

Please PM me so that we can exchange cel numbers to keep in touch.

Thanks!

I can confirm that we will be going out Saturday on the San Mateo III if the weather is good and there is at least one other boat going. I am pretty sure that Fifth Element is chartering all weekend so unless that changes he won't be able to make it.

Nice plug in there for you, bud. Good work.

X2. Great read. Thanks for posting Mike :).

Side note: Tomorrow is flat as flat can get weather wise. Hope a few are going for it. The chloro looks iffy but the temps are there in some spots. Up Island sure looks good. Nice sharp cut offs in a big patch off Nootka right now and not a far run.

Was going to play hooky tomorrow but pulled the pin due to work and not all of the stars lining up. If I'm going to miss work it had better be perfect me thinks. Looking at the weekend as an option but the swell spacing shortens up quite a bit. That's tuna fishing folks. If it's not the sst's or chloro the weather get's ya. We will get out there soon enough. After 3 years I am starting to develop some patience lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said Sculpin!... Looking for the best of three worlds! Hard enough to time when your available 24/7 let alone fitting it in between family and work. The truth is that there are only so many days when when all three variables align... and even then you still need to find the fish!! I am hoping for wx and wind to provide an opportunity and I am praying that the fish are around when we venture out. This is a twice a year fishery for me so its not like going for local salmon but when it works and all comes together it is amazing! As always to those who choose this fishery be safe and exercise good judgement .... its all about the experience and you want the experience to be positive. I am thankful for the comradere (sp) and intelligent committed people that contribute so much to this forum it adds both knowledge and safety to the fishery. Patience is a good thing!

Back