2014 Silva Bay Derby

Hot Rods

The 26th. annual Silva Bay Derby will be held on Fathers Day weekend again this year. June 14 - 15. Great prizes, lots of fun, lots of fish (hopefully). More details later. Send me a pm if you can help out with a prize.

Last year was great I am hoping to go again this year ..great Derby, lots of fun and great prizes...fisrt prize last year was an HDS 10.. gunna be tough to top that one :)

Already have another top of the line Lowrance HDS 10 for this year thanks to Harbour Chandler and Lowrance. It will go as a draw prize from all tickets sold.

100% of the revenue from the derby goes to the local fish hatchery or back to participants in the form of cash prizes. This year, the money will be used to build a new net pen up in First Lake for summer run chinook.

Amundson is back on board as a major sponsor again this year and Pacific Boat Brokers has donated another Islander Reel and Rod combo. Looks like we will have well over $10,000 in prizes again.

Sounds awesome. I will buy a ticket again this year but probably will be on the West side that time of year. I am supporting Amundson quite a bit lately lol (damn you RVP). Great to see them on board for this event :).

Where can I get tickets for this derby ? I live on the lower mainland.

good call sculpin - that's what I did a couple years ago and won the HDS-10 .... I think they changed the rules after that so that you have to be there to pick up prizes when the draw occurs though. either way still a great cause to support!

Tickets are available starting this weekend. Harbour Chandler has them in time for their sale on Sat. Rules have not changed Birdman. The Lowrance sounder is a draw and you don't have to be there to win. The other prizes are for fish weighed in and a friend can pick them up for you if you are lucky enough to win one and not able to be there on Sunday afternoon.

Where can I get tickets for this derby ? I live on the lower mainland.

Tickets are available from Derek (Southern Cross) or you can send us a cheque and we will leave them at the weigh station for you or mail them if time permits. PM me for more details if you wish.

It would be nice if they(guide boats mostly) would weigh in there fish and move on. Last year twice i came in to the dock and sat there floating around while the guys just stood around shooting the **** . Needless to say i left both time without weighing in our fish .
Other than that it was a great time !

We now have a $900 ladies Islander MR3 Reel (pink) and RCR mooching rod as a prize for the largest fish caught by a female angler. Great prize donated by Brian at Pacific Boat Brokers.
Couple of other changes for this year: There will be prizes for released fish as usual. However, this year everyone who releases a legal size salmon will be entered in a draw. No need to measure and photograph the fish. Just let it go as quickly as possible and put your name on the "released fish" sheet at the weigh-in station. To discourage anglers from bringing in those 20+ pound ling cod, which are normally the spawners, top prizes in that category will go to fish closest to 15 pounds.

We have the burgers donated again for the BBQ but you are on your own for refreshments and side orders to go with the burger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a few questions about ticket prices. It is $25/person or $50/family (fishing from same boat). You can run all the rods you can handle with either ticket. Each tickets gives you a chance at the Lowrance HDS 10 sounder so there is a better chance of winning if you buy two individual tickets rather than a family if there are only two of you.

Derby ends at noon on Sunday and the BBQ and prize ceremony follows at approximately 1pm at Silva Bay Marina. You can designate someone to pick up your prize if you can't be there but they have to step forward before the next name is announced.
Any questions...pm me.

Pacific Net and Twine, Gone Fishin and Harbour Chandler now have derby tickets available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wholesale Sports have donated a Scotty Propack electric downrigger. Another great prize for the derby. Should also clarify the prize for the top fish entered by a lady angler. A fish can only be used to win one prize. So, if the overall top fish is entered by a lady she can claim the $1000 prize OR the top ladies prize but not both.

2014 Silva Bay Derby Rules

1: All fish must be caught within the boundaries. Icarus, Neck Point, The Fingers, Entrance Island, Thrasher and Porlier and up to three miles offshore Gabriola/Nanaimo are inbounds. Inside waters from Northumberland to Porlier are inbounds, except for D.F.O. closed areas.
2: Derby Time - Saturday June 14th - Dawn till 9pm. Sunday June 15th - Dawn till Noon
3: Weigh-in at Silva Bay Marina. All fish must be weighed in or at the weigh in station by noon on June 15th, 2014
4: No eviscerated (gutted salmon) will be eligible.
5: Ties decided in order of first weighed.
6: All salmon must be cleaned immediately after the weigh-in.
7: Prize ceremony to begin at approximately 1pm on Sunday, June 15, 2014. Winner of draw for sounder will be notified if not in attendance. All other prizes must be claimed at award ceremony by winner or a designate.
8: $1,000 largest Chinook, and a minimum of 50 other prizes.
9: Derby tickets must be purchased prior to fishing and carried on your person.
10: Failure to comply with Derby Rules and Regulations will result in immediate disqualification of all entrants in the boat.
11.Every angler on the boat fishing in the Silva Bay Derby must have a derby ticket. Family tickets include direct family members only and fishing from the same boat. Non-fishing children may be in the boat but are not eligible for prizes unless individual or family tickets has been purchased.

12. Ling prize will be awarded to the fish weighing closest to fifteen pounds.

13. The released legal sized chinook award will be randomly drawn from the entries in this category. It will not be awarded by largest size.

14. The ladies Islander reel will be awarded to the largest chinook caught by a woman, unless a woman wins the derby, It will then be given to the second largest chinook caught by a woman.

Back