2014 SFBC Derby Wrap Up

Great pics Sculpin. It was a fun event, well done to all who put the effort and time in, particular FA and his team. It was great to meet some from the forum, and good to see some folks who traveled a distance to the event, including people from our own backyard who I hadn't previously met.

Great online derby, good cause, well organize. Would look forward to participating next year.

Great pics John! I was a little sad I had no way to transport the cake home..lol was probably for the best,I really hope the tradition continues next year, lets make this derby bigger and better every year! turning this from an idea to reality was no small feat for Owen but dam did he knock it out of the park! really impressed with the efforts of the SFBC members to pitch in and donate to such a good cause.. well done everyone! :cool:

Ahh I felt so bad I said I would bring music, which I did, just a few minutes to late as jeffy told the local station he'd stream there station. Ill save it for next year and get there on time.

Dave S ment to tell you, hope your wife is doing well and dont worry I think there was only one (maybe two) hidden weights that hit the right number. Wasn't you (or me lol).

Alder got the card, Im calling your wife for a massage ;) :eek:

64 of the 213 entrants showed up to the wrap up event, and at one point it was brought to my attention we had over 100 people onsite which included many children. I felt it was a great turnout for the first year. It was more then I expected :)

Question I have is..... Who wants to step up and do it next year? :)

I definitely want to be part of the Derby next year, you can throw my hat in the ring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Owen, I wasn't able to join in the fun due to other commitments, but I just wanted to shout out a big thank you for taking the time and energy to organize the event and Derby. As is almost always the case, a relatively small number of people step up to take the bull by the horns and organize things that benefit the rest of us. I truly appreciate all the work you put into making this entire event a success. You certainly could not have done it alone, and many folks and sponsors stepped up to the call for help - a big thanks to all of you too.

Hey, Owen, I would like to join in with the derby next year also. I'm not a well known member, (Ira Lewis), but with Jeffy and Jlewis (my son) and your guidance, we could try to follow in your footsteps.

Hey, Owen, I would like to join in with the derby next year also. I'm not a well known member, (Ira Lewis), but with Jeffy and Jlewis (my son) and your guidance, we could try to follow in your footsteps.

Or make a new trail. Just heard Duffer got banned for asking who won a certain prize that ended up on craigslist.
A little trigger happy on the ban button in IMHO. If that was justified, I guess this could be my last post.
How bout next year prize donators are assured that their prize actually gets used and people can offer feedback to fellow fishermen who may want to become new customers.
Just my 2 cents.
Disclaimer: If you find my post offensive in any way please don't read it.

My Personal view only is as a donor of many prizes..the winner of prize can do as he please with the prize.... All mine are given without strings attached...:)

Totally agree the person is free to do what ever its theres.

Since people are taking prizes. Ive never understood when a person wins 1st, 2nd, third.. those prizes are the best, and usually killer. But then also gets to pick again out of the top prizes as well. I bet they still would be happy with there top prize, seems more even. Then there would be more happy people.

My opinion as both a donor (Sitka Sandlance Spoons) and a derby entrant(although I was not able to attend...) is that the winner can do whatever they like with the prize. I would of course love to hear some feedback on how the spoons performed, but that is not required....if someone is not a spoon guy/gal, then I would hope that he/she would either give, trade or sell them to someone who is going to put them to use.

Or make a new trail. Just heard Duffer got banned for asking who won a certain prize that ended up on craigslist.
A little trigger happy on the ban button in IMHO. If that was justified, I guess this could be my last post.
How bout next year prize donators are assured that their prize actually gets used and people can offer feedback to fellow fishermen who may want to become new customers.
Just my 2 cents.
Disclaimer: If you find my post offensive in any way please don't read it.

I was a donator of that derby as well as many on here. My view is like Derby's. People can do whatever they want with a prize, and we don't expect anything and could care less of recognition. Do what you want. Prizes aren't the focus as a sponsor. We sponsor to have a fun event that generates money for struggling salmon enhancement. Lets not turn this into a negative thread...I have no idea why your friend got banned..But why worry about what someone has or does? They won it? I have given away and sold lots of prizes I didn't need...

The purpose of a donation is to help to promote the fundraiser and increase funds received due to the excitement and additional derby ticket sales related to the potential prizes to be won.

I am not on either side of this argument, but I believe that the inflow of prizes did have some impact on the number of entrants, and therefore the prizes that were donated performed the function they were intended to.

For this positive impact, I thank each and every donor for helping to promote salmon enhancement.

Cheers

I also was a donor to the derby. There was a string attached to my donation. ( It was to be for the biggest salmon caught by a juvenile) Fish was caught and prize was won by Owen's daughter. I would like to congratulate her on her catch.
Hopefully she retains the reel and gets long lasting enjoyment out of catching fish with it, in years to come. However as of the awards picnic the reel became hers to do with as she chooses.

Congrats to all the winners! Enjoy the prizes you have won. Kudo's to anyone who donated.

Still don't know why Duffer got banned??

A bit late but better late than never I guess. Just want to say thanks to Owen and all those who helped out organizing and volunteering.

Went to the BBQ, (a bit late too) with the wife, (another entrant) and a buddy, our daughter, and two grand kids. Fun had by all of us. It was pretty cool meeting some great people, would have liked to meet more of you. Would have liked to hang around afterwards too but had to get going with the little ones.

We didn't expect to win anything at all. Didn't even enter a fish. As it turned out, we came home with a whole bunch of stuff. Pretty impressive if you ask me. A bunch of jugheads, a flasher, hoochies, LED. stuff etc. etc. Huge thanks to the donors of all that stuff. Most of what I got, I probably wouldn't have bought, but now I'm just dying to try it all out. If it catches fish, I'm going to be happy to promote it. If it doesn't, I'll just have to try and learn how to use it better, and have fun trying. Still have it all sitting on the kitchen counter and admiring it. LOL.

The best part was seeing that girl win the bike. Too sweet. And whoever made that cake did a wicked job of it too.

I've never entered a real derby before. Only entered this one to make the donation. Got way more than I bargained for! Met good people, great food, family fun, and swag to boot. I'm thinkin' it won't be my last. Might even enter a fish next year. lol

And oh ya, those trophies were awful sweet.

Thanks again to all!

I thought this derby was a great format. I did enter fish and was off the hidden weight by a 1/4 lb on one and a 1/2 lb on another. So close. I was really happy that I was able to involve my kids. My son and I went to the BBQ and I was amazed at all the support for this derby through donations. I came away very happy for myself with a rod and some gear but my son was absolutely beside himself with all the gear he came home with. It was great to meet new people and catch up with others who I had met before. I have seen first hand some of the good work that the Little River fish enhancement group is doing and it was great to meet and talk with some of their group.

I would like to thank Owen, Laura and all others who for all the work that they put in through out the summer and for organizing the wrap up party. Great derby, great cause, great prizes, great wrap up. I hope this is the first ANNUAL.

Back