2014 Fall /Winter and 2015 Spring boat projects

Albernifishers new fuel tank is almost ready to go.

Just have to put the sending unit in and install the pick up fitting and she's good to go! :) (that's an air nipple in the pick up coupling for the air test done earlier today).

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG someone stole my rocket launchers!!!....

The fenders turned out awesome. They are rock solid now :cool:.

Glad to hear you finally had someone look after those noisy fenders..... LOL Now there is less concern of one flying off and causing damage.... To the boat that is :)

My buddy Goatram with the Miss Eliza got me going on the rod holders. I had 6 orginally. I don't need 50 plus like him lol, but I was thinking more along the lines of 10 or 12 staggered on either side of that cross bar. I'm doing up new mounts for the VHF antenna's and new deck lights.

Glad to hear you finally had someone look after those noisy fenders..... LOL Now there is less concern of one flying off and causing damage.... To the boat that is :)

Hey man, I might not have welded them, but I installed them lol:D. Now we just need to get that Salmon Beach boat ramp dredged....(man we should have took pictures of that episode ha ha).

The new sensors are $200-500 but are really accurate unlike the $30 swing arm. I almost upgraded last year but when I seen the price I went swing arm.

Sculpin you do some amazing work, I've never seen a boat so dialled in! Side question - do you weld for a living? How did you get so damn good?!

Sculpin I have the same question as Demco99, we have never met but I would like to discuss my idea when I have drawings, plan done? Looking at what you have posted you have forgotten more than I will know about metal fab. Awesome looking work on all your projects, even your work shop looks good (Big). I AM going to design, build and install that aluminum hardtop on my 18.6 DE this winter, in the driveway as my boat will not fit in my shop, (dam low doors). Never got done last year due to other jobs. I am sick of the cold water jet in the lap from the soft top and big waves and want a space to carry the traps and kayak (40lb) for spring bear season. Hope we can discuss and you may point me in the right direction when I start.

HM

A piece of twine tied to a nut works as a fuel gauge if it's a straight drop from the fill opening. Or a stick. Free or $19.95 at West Marine.
Nice looking work guys.

Rocket launchers are coming along.

My buddy Goatram from the black and red site was bugging me about not building a die to flare the tops out. I told him they would look to nice for my rig lol :D.

I'm going from 6 originally to 12 now. The staggering and offset allows this. I tested them with my Avet HX reels.

Quite few just tacked on for now.

The old ones were welded right to the roof. Put flat bars up from the roof ribs to the cross bar and all the new ones are free floating off the roof. The old ones were swept back too far with a 30 degree angle (although we never had an issue hitting rods). The new ones have a 15 degree tilt back. More practical me thinks :).

These are the ones I made up this spring, need to take them off and get the powder coated now that I am happy with their design and locations.
I used 2" sch 40 for the tubes because I like the bigger tubes for when the rods are broken down.
I made up 2 brass dies, one to flare the top and one to taper the base, the tops were easy but the bases not so much lol

The ones on the hard top were the first design with just the tops flared, these were made with 1 1/2 sch 40

Attachments

• IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 594
When I got the boat it had a big SS roller but it protruded past the bow by 4-5 inches and I didnt have room for that in the garage as you can see the garage door is within 1" so I needed to shorten things up a bit.
The SS I used was a conglomeration of flat/angle 316l SS that I scrounged up, it came out pretty good but man what a big job polishing this up:eek:

Attachments

• DCP_9532.jpg
    DCP_9532.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 595
  • DCP_9533.jpg
    DCP_9533.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 595
  • DCP_9552.jpg
    DCP_9552.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 596
Heres some of the FG hard top I built for the boat, I found out FG work is not my favorite :rolleyes:
One out of the mold and couple finished

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 597
  • DCP_9446.jpg
    DCP_9446.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 597
These are the ones I made up this spring, need to take them off and get the powder coated now that I am happy with their design and locations.
I used 2" sch 40 for the tubes because I like the bigger tubes for when the rods are broken down.
I made up 2 brass dies, one to flare the top and one to taper the base, the tops were easy but the bases not so much lol

The ones on the hard top were the first design with just the tops flared, these were made with 1 1/2 sch 40
Do you have picture of the brass dyes you used? And what kind of a machine did u use too press them into the rod holders for the flare and taper

Back