2014 ECVI Nanoose Bay, French Creek Reports

TwoGone.....those pings and dings on your line all day were probably jellyfish.

Lots of those red 10 inch diameter specie around.

had the same experience as you two days ago......get a ping, reel up the gear to check for towing dinkers, find a red jellyfish wrapped around the main or caught on something.....

Lots of them right now.......

Took my niece out last night for a quick troll at Ballenas. Managed to get a coho and a beauty sockeye. First sockeye this year. Took my infamous squirt at 120 on the rigger. Lost and released a few others. Was blowing SE pretty good last night.

had the same experience as you two days ago......get a ping, reel up the gear to check for towing dinkers, find a red jellyfish wrapped around the main or caught on something.....

Lots of them right now.......

Be real careful that you wash your hands good after cleaning the red jellies off your lines...
I made the mistake a few years back of taking a leak after handling red jelly slime
dick burned for about 3 hours, it wasn't fun.:(

Islandfisher and TwoGone:-

if you're getting way too many Dogfish:- you are probably trolling too slow regardless of depth.
Absolutely correct; most of the times we hooked dogfish was shortly after making a turn. I will try to make a wider arc or speed up a bit in future. Thanks for the advice; lord knows I need it. Cheers; twogone

TwoGone.....those pings and dings on your line all day were probably jellyfish. Lots of those red 10 inch diameter specie around. had the same experience as you two days ago......get a ping, reel up the gear to check for towing dinkers, find a red jellyfish wrapped around the main or caught on something..... Lots of them right now.......

I had a suspicion they were jellies, the bumps on the rod tip were not matched to the bumps on the rigger. Thanks for the reply. Cheers; twogone

Be real careful that you wash your hands good after cleaning the red jellies off your lines...
I made the mistake a few years back of taking a leak after handling red jelly slime

OWWWW!!! That sounds painful. Reminds me of friend whose ex wife was helping him prepare Jallapinos for canning & went for a wiz without washing her hands. Neighbours heard the screams and come to see if he was murdering her.

I had a look at my log book yesterday and last year on the last day of August I caught quite a nice spring off the mouth of the L.Q. Anything happening there yet this year? I'm hoping to arrange a day fishing for next week and I'm trying to decide where to go.

That happened to me once, don't think it had anything to do with a Jellyfish though! Whammy!

TwoGone:-

I was up at Little Q couple days ago......was there around 1:30 pm....figuring there'd be something around on the low slack.

Had my Russian girlfriend Nada ZipZilch with me......and that was all I saw there....

Cruised about all over the area with eyes glued on the finder looking for fish for about a half hour......saw nothing hardly at all.

Trolled for awhile with the "gotos"......nothing.

Left about 2:30 pm.

That said:- a lot of times traditionally there it is good in the early morning or late evening.......so perhaps I was not there at the best time (and also the wrong tide maybe).

I was the only boat there at first.......another guy showed up a little later......no other boats there.

Didn't see any shorefishers either.

We were out front today at the crack of dawn. One 11 pound coho on a turd hootchie in about 200' of water. Fished about 160'. That was the biggest coho I've ever caught in this neighborhood. Nothing else for the next few hours though, at least we caught one. I can't quite recall when the coho head up French Creek. Does anybody know roughly?
On a different subject, does anyone fish out of Northwest Bay marina anymore? How early can you launch there? I haven't tried it for a few years and I think it may have changed hands since then. What about Schooner? Easy in and out? How do you pay? Time restrictions? Thanks. Cheers.

TwoGone:-

I was up at Little Q couple days ago......was there around 1:30 pm....figuring there'd be something around on the low slack.

Had my Russian girlfriend Nada ZipZilch with me......and that was all I saw there....

Thanks for the reply; If the wind isn't too bad I may give it a try at the LQ on Wednesday (I only have a small boat). They have to show up sometime????? maybe?? However.....I hear stories of success with sockeye off Thrasher Rock so that is another option....again, wind permitting. Thanks again & Cheers twogone

Hedgehog:-

Northwest bay marina ( Beachcomber's) you can still launch there....bit tough for some because there's nothing to tie up to right where you launch the boat. Parking can be very limited.

if the manager isn't around...ring the buzzer/intercom by the office door. fee is around 13 bucks I think.

Schooner cove ramp is still good......but getting a tad "pothole" these days......easy launch....unless you have a really big boat on a lowtide.........pay at the office.

Sufficent parking nearby and also up at the trailer lot by the tennis courts.

Picked up a 21 at Mistaken yesterday afternoon. I was hiding from the SE wind in behind Mistaken. Hit a red squirt at 85 on the rigger.

Was out last night out front FC in the wind with a few other boats. Not a sniff for me and apparently many others. The fish counter was there 9 fish came in all day. Only 1 from the river . Also a pod of whales went through in the afternoon. Worst late august I can ever remember in 40 years.

Back