2014 ECVI Nanoose Bay, French Creek Reports

Cheers, I was planning to fish my standard anchovy one side and cookies n cream or irish cream on the other but ill rig up some plastics. Is a squirt a needlefish hoochie or the ones just a bit smaller i know guys have different terms for them.

Cheers,

Juby.

A squirt is a small hoochie about 2.5" long. You can also use the needlefish and cut the length down to the size you want.

Hey MrWood, yes the Snapper is back. What a rough morning at Ballenas in that little 16 footer, even I was wondering if it was not fish able when that big guy hit. I had him on for a bit and he was rippin line and it was a bit much and I lost him. He lives another day....... Text me when you want to go out. I am using my friends little boat for a bit and get some prawns in the freezer had a good haul after I saw you..........BRS

BRS...yeah it was pretty rough that's why I was getting out of there. Tough to fish solo when it's that rough. I could tell you had a good one, too bad it got away.

any word on Sabine sox?
I have been getting them out of Campbell River but the drive is getting tiresome..

Smiley - was pondering the same question as you - love getting those big sockeye, but its a long haul to CR and back to Nanaimo for a day trip. Does anyone have any intel on this fishery? I'd always heard the commercials used to get them in there...

Smiley, gave Sabine Channel a try today, couple of coho hit the sockeye squirts, but no sockeye. Saw a few jumpers, a burst of 5 to 10 jumps every half hour or so - methinks just small fragments of schools drifting through there.

Fellas; a friend and I fished off French Creek from 9AM to 5PM on Tuesday. We trolled a 4" Cookies & Cream, a green speckled hoochie, a 4" Irish Cream and a couple of other offerings. During the day we varied the depth from 65' to 165' and sucessfully landed 2 dogfish and 2 grilse...... a beautiful sunny day, calm as bathwater but lousey fishing. One fellow told me to try deeper but I only have hand crank riggers so it's a real chore bringing the ball up with all the weeds and dogfish around. Any suggestions as to how we may improve our success for future trips up there?

Additionally; for most of the day there was a lot of hits on the fish finder (ranging from 50' to 125') and the rod tips were constantly bouncing. Is that caused by the line hitting jelly fish?

Cheers & thanks for the help.

fished French creek last night from 4-8, got two springs 10# and 12# and one coho 8#,also never caught so many dogfish in one day. liked fishing there except for the two guys that cant drive straight and like to ***** that we were doing something wrong

A couple questions for those in the know. Was going to take my Mom and Dad to fish FC and maybe the little Q for the first time tomorrow and was wondering how big the wind factor is there? I've heard it can blow up pretty bad, have an 18.5" Crestliner and one parent who is not a fan of rough water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Second question, what is the best leader length for spoons and coho killers?

I have to thank all the posters from the last few pages for passing along their successes, and will report back as well.

Cheers

BL

if it is a little lumpy at the mouth of French Creek the Little Q will usually be very comfortable.Depending on the wind direction. Try to pm me, I live on the bluff just about 1/2 a mile from the LQ

At Little Q last night, 1 fish around 15 pounds. Maybe 15 boats there, only saw 2 other fish caught. Went again this morning....nada. Saw 1 fish troll caught and 2 caught by the jiggers. Tide was perfect but the fish are not there in any numbers biting. Lots of small perch along the bottom (we threw out the jig gear to see what they were). Nice bait rising to surface off Eaglecrest on way back in 2-3 spots in 100' but didn't have time to try it.

except for the two guys that cant drive straight and like to ***** that we were doing something wrong

Hey, Islandfisher1. I know those two "guys that can't drive straight". I'm one of them. We marked the spot where we 'crossed paths' on the GPS and I would be quite happy to show you our DEAD STRAIGHT trail to that point. Even blown up to the largest scale my unit will go to, the line is dead straight for at least 400 meters. By the way, the fellow that was driving the boat has spent most of his life at sea, is a master seaman and has just about every marine ticket/certification/authorization available. His assesment of your seamanship skills are as follows: (A) You weren't watching where you were going (B) You have an operators license but have forgotten the regulations (C) You figure because your boat is a little bigger that ours, you can be a bully and force the other guy to change direction or (D) a number of barley pops has affected your perception of what is straight and what is crooked. Not only is it courtious but it is also the regulations that you yield to the boat on your starboard bow; I'm sure you know that so I will assume you are a reasonable fellow and were just preoccupied for a moment and didn't notice another boat approaching on your starboard side.
Cheers & good luck!
Twogone.

mistaken identity

Hey, Islandfisher1. I know those two "guys that can't drive straight". I'm one of them. We marked the spot where we 'crossed paths' on the GPS and I would be quite happy to show you our DEAD STRAIGHT trail to that point. Even blown up to the largest scale my unit will go to, the line is dead straight for at least 400 meters. By the way, the fellow that was driving the boat has spent most of his life at sea, is a master seaman and has just about every marine ticket/certification/authorization available. His assesment of your seamanship skills are as follows: (A) You weren't watching where you were going (B) You have an operators license but have forgotten the regulations (C) You figure because your boat is a little bigger that ours, you can be a bully and force the other guy to change direction or (D) a number of barley pops has affected your perception of what is straight and what is crooked. Not only is it courtious but it is also the regulations that you yield to the boat on your starboard bow; I'm sure you know that so I will assume you are a reasonable fellow and were just preoccupied for a moment and didn't notice another boat approaching on your starboard side.
Cheers & good luck!
Twogone.

I'm pretty sure you have me mistaken with someone else, I believe I was one of the smallest boats out there. I think the guys not driving straight were a lot bigger than me and had the attitude that I should move even though they were fishing with their backs to the rest of the boats out there

Hey, its a big ocean, lots of room to play kids.... going to be a lot tighter in the canal this coming weekend.

I'm pretty sure you have me mistaken with someone else, I believe I was one of the smallest boats out there. I think the guys not driving straight were a lot bigger than me and had the attitude that I should move even though they were fishing with their backs to the rest of the boats out there

Islandfisher1; Please accept my sincere and humble appologies. We were in a 16' tin boat and you were most likley not the boat we encountered as it was quite a bit bigger than us. My partner and I were both facing forward except for occasional glances at the rod tips. Had I been driving I just would have just thought to myself "what a dickhead, he's either stupid of a bully" and made a move to go around but my partner isn't wired that way and he stood up and voiced the regulations at the other fellows. He's a great guy and a good friend AND he was right of course; we were going in a stright line, we were on his starboard bow and he should have made a direction change to avoid us but sometimes it's just not worth the effort to assert who's right and who's wrong. The object of the exercise is to have some fun and catch some fish. We may have even encountered the same AH.
Cheers & Good Luck!
twogone

Electric downriggers with +350' of braid and 15 lb min cannonballs ;)Not joking

Electric riggers are on the wish list but CPP won't be covering them for some time. I may have to wait for the Coho to arrive and fish on the top. Thanks for the advice; maybe next year. Cheers; twogone

Islandfisher and TwoGone:-

if you're getting way too many Dogfish:- you are probably trolling too slow regardless of depth.

Back