2013 Vancouver, Howe Sound and Sunshine Coast Fishing Reports Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alll the years I have fished the coal pors I have never heard of halibut there. I didnt belive the reports till i saw the pictures...

They were aparently targeting springs near the bottom with white hoochies... At least one was anyhow

hey Jeff was it a Delta guy that got one of them by chance ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think that halibut are showing up in places that they didn't in the past. I don't every recall people in the 70's/80's trolling and catching Halibut. Now I hear about it with some frequency from many people I know. It hasn't happened to me, but, I hear it enough to know it does happen.

gave the harbour a troll this morning 2 shakers one with a lil' heft approx 45cm...outskirts of the freighters, both on coho killers...trolled west van to point atkinson without a sniff

@getbent 3 Hali's (25, 40 &60)pulled out of the coalports last week that I know of..... Has this happened before? Lots of sping action too!

No this has not happened before lol, I have friends that pound the Coal Ports all the time as well as familly that fish flounders there. Lots of spring action? Curious how you know this?

Any action on the hump yet...easy now...just fishing responces boys?

should be ready to roll next weekend!

Getbent

Hows the coal port panning out Canso?
I was there a month ago with some success, and still hearing chatter of the odd spring, not sure about the hali's.
I've been prawning the last 2 weeks, and fishing Tunstal and freighters with no luck.
Not sure where I'm going on Sunday and Monday.

No this has not happened before lol, I have friends that pound the Coal Ports all the time as well as familly that fish flounders there. Lots of spring action? Curious how you know this?

It has happened before, in fact English bay used to be a prime halibut fishing area. But, that was 100 years ago, fished to the brink of extinction. To hear that they are back in any number at all is great news.

Coal Ports are an interesting phenomenon....has been a popular area for a while....for us Vancouver folks launching from Howe Sound, False Creek or the Harbour, we'd fish the Gulf Islands over the Coal Ports any day and my experience from fishing there is that once the tide gets humping....the bite dies. The fuel bill to run there is a tad high for potential payoff....most of the time.

Would be fun to see some pics.....the last Halibut that was taken in Vancouver made the front page of the Vancouver Sun and it was a fluke catch while trolling the Cap. Howe Sound hasn't even kicked out any in recent history either.

There are a coulpls of tackle shops in the Lower Mainland going off about the Coal Ports and I know one guide who went down there and hooked a few a few weeks ago...but returned with one.

If someone says it's red hot down there....perhaps I'll spend the fuel to see what all the fuss is about....otherwise...I'll place my bets on South Bowen and the Gulf Islands in the coming weeks.

Howe Sound has produced at least 2 in very recent history, a very nice 50 lb Hali from Tunstall ( a year or two before the one at the Cap was caught ) Also the Hole in the Wall area also produced a small chicken about 12-13lb the same year. As I recall there was also one taken quite recently off Gower/Popham area

I know of a friend who recently got a 20lb butt jigging at Seymour Bay while killing time letting his prawn traps soak nearby recently, and another contact who's had surprising success targeting them off Bowyer Island.. never heard of any out of the coal ports until now and have never even tried the area personally even for salmon trolling.. what are the main tacks down there? How long of a run is it out of False Creek??

Finally getting back on the water..... My plan is to drop the traps and hit howe sound for the low change.. I hope the first time this year is lucky!! Anybody fish the hump today?? I will report!

another contact who's had surprising success targeting them off Bowyer Island..

It's not surprising since he is fishing in a closed area.

In Subarea 28-2, those waters inside or shoreward of the 200 metre contour line that surrounds Bowyer Island, as shown on Chart No. 3512 published by the Canadian Hydrographic Service of the Department.

91_Bowyer%20Island.png

I always laugh at the turns these threads take....some of these stories....it's like chasing unicorns or the guys who hunt around after super rare muscle cars in garages ready to collapse and barns that are ready to fall down and the person who says they so some old guy who has this car...and that car....etc.......so and so this...so and so that....yada yada yada....lol....

The Coal Pile is deceptively far from False Creek...head out and check it out.....better than 23 miles..I've never plotted it but I've fished it before...and it's totally exposed....be prepared to get wet if it's windy.

My friend told me I was delusional one day when I reported a halibut caught in the harbor, I was so shocked that he called me delusional I almost fell off my unicorn.

My friend told me I was delusional one day when I reported a halibut caught in the harbor, I was so shocked that he called me delusional I almost fell off my unicorn.

Roflmao, Now that's funny right there!!
Thanks for that Dave
Tim

yep I was too...and I was me of the first to know. There were 2 taken there that week....and 1 other possible hook up.

Hey there guys

I fished the coal port thats actually where I work as a welder/mechanic so Ive seen the boats out there all winter.Apparentally they did well in jan and feb but the last two times Ive been out one being last wednesday and one day the week before I only hooked and landed ons salmon and it was a few inches over legal size.. It seems to have totally died as I have kept in contact with some other friends and they have not been successful for some time now.

The first day I went out I tried targeting hali there doing some really nice drifts but could not find any,using methods that I use on the west coast that have been super successful in the past I did see a few pictures of hali that have been caught most being well before the opening on march 15.

Probably not going to waste my time or gas money going back there for this year as it should start to get going off S Bowen as we all know...

Good luck everyone and tight lines 2013 !!!!!
Biilydoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back