2013 Tuna adventures

haha, Im on a role. I got skunked really bad tonight off shore salmon fishing. Even went to all the big name spots.

haha, Im on a role. I got skunked really bad tonight off shore salmon fishing. Even went to all the big name spots.

Everybody had a tough day, except us as we went bottomfishing. The salmon didn't bite very good until later in the afternoon.

Hammered them pretty good. The season opener for me was a five banger!!! Yeee haw!!!!

Leave the dock at 445 am. Drive for 2 hours at 25 kn 222 degrees. Water on the way out gets cooler and cooler and at 30 miles is just under 11 C. Trying not to panic and have some faith I keep on driving. At 40 miles the temp starts to rise and at 45 miles it is up to 13.4C so I put the gear out. I am with a greeny, one of those guys who LOVES to fish but never fishes and gets sea sick easy and he is asleep so I put all the gear out alone and it takes a while. After one hour and 6 miles further out. BLAM! Quintuple Header!! Both right and left PMO's and Diveboards and the splash bird/left pull on a rod go off all in the span of about 45 seconds. This was great but as a team the fish made the landing very difficult and the end product was a real dandy of a birds nest. I just purchased different coloured line for this reason but this time it was no help in preventing such madness.
What a mess. The remainder of the day finds a triple a double and a hand full of singles for a total of 14 of which 3 additional smashes escape capture.
The hot tickets for the day were the Blue Brush Zuker and the Splatter back uv turd. Same as last season early on in the season.
The New Guy with his first tuna.

Saw the larges blue shark ever. About 8 feet long rubbing itself on a log. It did this for about an hour which we watched with fascination.

Twas a fine day.

Last edited by a moderator:
So awesome! Just sold 2 more derby tickets today because of your report!!!

LOVE IT!!!

18 tickets left boys...

Tunafest is looking sweet.

Jeff

I'm calling Oceanbelle right now to see if we are gonna grab a couple of those last tickets....

Now that I have " come down" a bit I realize that I left out some other interesting details of the trip.
We had one triple header on this trip but it was like no other I had had before. We were trolling around just scanning the area and suddenly we spotted dolphins. I was excited to show the new guy dolphins for they are a fun part of these trips and I shout dolphins over their! A moment later one of the rods goes off screaming. My dog is dis functional about 3 things. Balls, animals and screaming reels and between the sighting of the dolphins and now 2 screaming reels she is loosing her mind. Then one hand line goes but I want to be with the dolphins to show my friend. We had no choice but to deal with the tuna but luckily the dolphins surrounded the boat the whole time we were getting the tuna to the boat. These were Dalls porpous. This was the first time I had ever seen these and they were very fun to watch even though we were so distracted.
we landed the fish and could not find that pod again. Another important observation I made on this trip is that we caught a few smaller fish which indicates that the fish were there in good numbers. Very good conditions. That was some of the deepest darkest blue water I have seen. Gin Clear and dark blue. Perfect.
THis photo shows how there are no bumps along the eyes. totally smooth highly efficient hydro dynamics.

Not only do I really enjoy the reports you post, I think the pics you take are great!!! Very Cool

Hope to have my own report after Tuesday if the water stays flat enuf...

Left dock in bamfield 8 pm sat night. Set auto pilot and cruised at 8 mph for 75 mile. Found warm water pup gear down at 530 am sun. Had fish fish on at 545. Was still trolling SE at 85 mile 59 deg on my temp which reads a couple deg colder than most. I think because it is 20 in deep. Fish started hitting steady. All sizes big to small. At 12 noon running out of ice. had been circling at 94 mile. Started trolling back water not very good all day. Still catching fish not enough ice. Had to bring lines in. Came back at 8 mph till 30 mile out then could go 22 mph or so. Going to clean boat and fish now. Not sure on count over 30 Full fish bag and fish tank with heads off. Blk/purple 4 " jet big lure also 6" blue/cream/red jet. Have video and pics will try to put on when down loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand corrected. You hammered them!!! I got em. Lol. Nice work. Can't wait to hear more details. I am thinking it was a bit windy? I'm sure you were comfortable that boat of your is sweet.

Back