2013 Tuna adventures

imagine pouring them in as you get pounded by 2.5m swells.

2.5 meters can be immaculate conditions if:

1. The period is above 14 seconds.
2. The wind is not greater than 6 kn.
3. There is not a underlying/less dominant swell running that is less than 13 seconds.

A ground swell of 2 meters at 18 seconds is hardly noticeable off shore in 1000 feet of water BUT can be absolutely deadly on the rocks or beach due to the tendency to have much longer periods of time between sets and the potential to break 8 to 12 feet in height. Off shore you can put 25 kn of wind on a 2 m @ 18 second swell and the swell will not add to the seastate whatsoever.
I am more than happy to fish out there on any large period swell. where the problem arrises is fishing in say 2 meters at 10 to 12 seconds. Put a sudden 15 to 20 kn of wind on that and it can get up to 3 times as bad as if there was no swell.

Guess its a good time to start the " Tuna fishing Weather and Sea State/ Forecasting" Thread.

Often buoy measurements use the dominant swell so often you will have a report of 1.5 meters at 12 or 13 seconds which can be real nice out there but it is not unusual to get out there to discover its rough as hell. Why? Usually its because there is a factor missing in the report. The secondary swell. If this secondary swell is 1 meter at 6 seconds its not smooth out there. Its choppy even if it is glassy.
There are often multiple swells running at any given time on our west coast.

Last edited by a moderator:
This wasn't meant to start an argument on what 2.5m can look like. I'm out there lots and know there are more factors than swell height. The point is if it's "rough" you're not going to have a fun time hanging off a pod pouring a Jerry can in. One of many often unforeseen variables that people can overlook on these trips.

Don't forget the tides; as we are all running out of an inlet and know how the tides can push up on the banks that we are all running across; I always laugh when I am asked by people why there is such a bad chop on S.Bank on a low wind day and why the swells are so big; but you run out 5 miles and she lays down.

Thanks everyone for all your insight, knowledge sharing and experience. Kelly, I like being told things in a blunt sort of manner so thank you. I have over 20 years experience being in the open ocean as a naval signalman but on a warship not a fishing boat. Am getting more and more familiar with how the tides, wind and swells affect my day out fishing. I have no issues going out there and getting hooked on a new and more expensive hobby (wife wont like it). I think what I might do for the first couple of times is try and find someone who is willing to take me on as a crew member or something like that. Just so I can see how its done. Please continue with all your comments and input as I find them all interesting.

Thanks everyone for all your insight, knowledge sharing and experience. Kelly, I like being told things in a blunt sort of manner so thank you. I have over 20 years experience being in the open ocean as a naval signalman but on a warship not a fishing boat. Am getting more and more familiar with how the tides, wind and swells affect my day out fishing. I have no issues going out there and getting hooked on a new and more expensive hobby (wife wont like it). I think what I might do for the first couple of times is try and find someone who is willing to take me on as a crew member or something like that. Just so I can see how its done. Please continue with all your comments and input as I find them all interesting.
Westburg
Move your questions over to the 2014 thread and we will be more than happy to help you out.

Back