2013 Tuna adventures

http://weather.gc.ca/marine/weather..._e.html?mapID=02&siteID=06800&stationID=46206

La Perouse Buoy had 16 degree C (60.8 F) water for the 2nd day in a row.
That's what I measured when I was out in that area on Sat. I was surprised to see it so warm. Also, there was a lot of surface action out there - not herring but something bigger. I could see small fins on occasion and from the size of the wake, I'm guessing the fish up top were 8-12" long. I think they were too small for finning pinks. I never could see what the fish were. Maybe mackeral?

Green water? Probably Macks at that size
Yep - green water and fish that appeared to be too large to be herring and too small to be salmon. I wished I'd had a spinning reel with so I could have casted to them. I wanted to catch one to see what they were but with my 60lb power pro on bait casting reels, I couldn't cast anything small enough that far.

Ya , certainly looking at it. Looks like there is some 14 C water where I like to fish but no real good images available. If there is an immaculate day to go I will. If I get to see some wild life I will be happy. Hopefully the water will be clean of weeds so I can just put the gear out and relax. I have been skunked so often that I am used to it now. Saturday is looking like the best possibility so far.

I will be trying my cell booster out there for the first time so it should be interesting how it works. At best I hope to be able to send a text from out there but maybe not. Will see.
also will have the ipad with a terrafin chart to use but if this cloud doest stop there will be no charts to see. This cloud is good for calm seas tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be in Bamfield this weekend and weather is looking promising. Think it's worth taking a long boat ride?

The end result of my day would say NO, BUT everything was there. Tuna birds, albatross, sunfish, the bluest of blue water, and 14 to 15 C water. There were actually more tuna birds than what I have ever seen before 3 or 4 fold. That was exciting but there presence did not pay off. Did not see any dolphins or blue sharks.
I have not given up on this "June Tuna" thing.

Yay for you!!!! on making the trip out, that's still more info than anyone had before.
Reports from Oregon on 'ifish.net' are similar - lots of birds, bait, temp and water color, but no tuna yet.
THEY CAN'T BE FAR!!!!!

The end result of my day would say NO, BUT everything was there. Tuna birds, albatross, sunfish, the bluest of blue water, and 14 to 15 C water. There were actually more tuna birds than what I have ever seen before 3 or 4 fold. That was exciting but there presence did not pay off. Did not see any dolphins or blue sharks.

Great stuff man! I was up clearing my lot and burning all weekend. It was torture looking out at the calm seas and sunny skies.

Good for you Birdsnes, sounds like a great day despite the result.
Turns out I had the wrong crew with me to get out on sat with you.
Next time.

Good for you Birdsnes, sounds like a great day despite the result.
Turns out I had the wrong crew with me to get out on sat with you.
Next time.

One observation stands out from this last trip. Most of my best tuna trips have been with other boat in numbers. Fleet teamwork pays off! So I am thinking that if any boats are going out of bam/ukee that it would be good to team up around louden with the tofino boat(s) and try to fish within 10 miles of one another. Otherwise we would be just too far apart to make moves if one boat finds them. Louden is 20 miles from clayoquat canyon. But the good water is here and then there right, so its just one more star to line up perfectly. Just sayin.

One observation stands out from this last trip. Most of my best tuna trips have been with other boat in numbers. Fleet teamwork pays off! So I am thinking that if any boats are going out of bam/ukee that it would be good to team up around louden with the tofino boat(s) and try to fish within 10 miles of one another. Otherwise we would be just too far apart to make moves if one boat finds them. Louden is 20 miles from clayoquat canyon. But the good water is here and then there right, so its just one more star to line up perfectly. Just sayin.

You've got my number buddy and I'm right around the corner :). Boat is going up this week and staying there for the rest of the summer.

I'll be out July 3-5. If all the stars align, I might be giving tuna a shot during those dates. I'll be launching out of Neah Bay and could explore Nitinat Canyon or maybe Louden but I'd be more incline to hit JDF Canyon. However, if you want to give Nitinat Canyon a try and are looking for a buddy boat AND if the weather is good, we might be able to team up someplace in the middle. Regardless, I'll definitely share info on what I find (where ever that may be).

Sculpin

You have my number as well, any time you guys are heading out let me know, I have a lot to learn but as you know I am ready and would prefer to go with other boats for my first time. Goes for anyone else heading out shoot me a PM as I can put a crew together and head west.

Tossing around the idea of trying this fishery this year with a few guys but am wondering about licensing? Being so off shore does this exclude us from BC Salt Water regs? Also, what limits if any are there on Albacore?

Limit is more liberal than attainable!!! LOL!!

Had to stop last year twice because we had no more room for fish on board!!!

Heads are coming off this year before the seeing any cooling. Not so much so I can take more fish but so I can take less ice.

Guy in LaPush showed me how to de-head and de-gut in four cuts... neat way to reduce space.
Basically you cut behind gill plates like you would for salmon, then flip fish over and make a vee cut under chin but not too deep. One more cut at the anal vent to sever the intestine ( or whatever its called )Twist head once each way and pull... head, gills and guts all come out. Now fish is 5-6 inches shorter and you can fill gut cavity with ice to help speed cooling. I was already at the dock when I did this, but it wouldn't be hard to do on the water.

Guy in LaPush showed me how to de-head and de-gut in four cuts... neat way to reduce space.
Basically you cut behind gill plates like you would for salmon, then flip fish over and make a vee cut under chin but not too deep. One more cut at the anal vent to sever the intestine ( or whatever its called )Twist head once each way and pull... head, gills and guts all come out. Now fish is 5-6 inches shorter and you can fill gut cavity with ice to help speed cooling. I was already at the dock when I did this, but it wouldn't be hard to do on the water.

Maybe you can put on a workshop at the shootout.

Shaping up to be a winner! Get your tickets from Kelly ASAP guys that are in. I don't want anyone I know not getting a ticket. And that would be cool for everyone to see before heading out there for sure!! Todd you here all week?

Back