2013 Sproat Lake Loggers Derby

Hey Fishing Buddies,
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Time to start planning for the season's first salmon derby, the Sproat Lake Loggers Spring Derby, March 2nd & 3rd. That's only 59 sleeps.
Don Forrest tells me this is their 25th year and they're planning on going all out to make it the biggest ever.
We just got back from a few days at the Nook, weather was great for this time of year, bit of ice on the pond a couple mornings, but we had calm winds and hardly any rain. Could have caught more fish, but rockfish, prawns and crab all cooperated making it a great time overall.
The Nook has also been making some changes with upgrades to the campsite and docks. That combined with the friendy staff continues to make our Nook experiences memorable.
So start making plans and we'll see you there.

Attachments

• New Year 2013 at the Nook.jpg
    New Year 2013 at the Nook.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 780
Roger!!

Will be doing something big outta Bammers again this year for it.

Good reason for the boys to get the boats in the water!!

Talked to Don Deforest driving force behind the derby and thought I'd share a bit of the info.
The derby was started 25 years ago by a few friends and workmates that logged in the Sproat Lake Area, hence the name Sproat Lake Loggers Derby. First derby had 40 anglers and has since grown to over 400. Although the Sproat Lake Loggers are pretty much all gone, they still retain the name and concept. Only 500 tickets printed, once they're gone they're gone. Apparently they have never sold out, but came very close a couple times. For the 25th celebration the organizers are going all out. Top prize this year is a 10hp Yammy along with some real nice supporting prizes. With the exception of a bit of working funds for tickets and advertising, all the ticket money goes into prizes. Despite super support from their major sponsor, Port Boat House, Poett Nook Marina and other local businesses, they found they had to up the anti a bit to help support the prize fund. Therefore tickets this year will be $20 up $5 from previous years. This is less than they predicted last year even though they got a strong show of support from derby participants when a $10 increase was discussed.
Tickets will be going on sale within a couple weeks and available at Gone Fishing in Port and Nanaimo, Port Boat House and at the Nook. Don't wait till the end to buy or you could come up dry. They welcome any and all donations towards the prize pool.
So start polishing your hooks and brining your 'chovies. It's only 52 sleeps away.

post a report shortly ,

just got back , fishin was excellent , guesstimate ,25-30 springs between 6-14lbs to the boat in 4 days , 50 50 mix bag of clipped , sweet chrome n red , my fav salmon eaters , bar none , inshore this time , close ta home : )
3 weeks ago , it was hot for us and the Mills boys too...

will be out one more time before the derby ,,,

fd

post a report shortly ,

just got back , fishin was excellent , guesstimate ,25-30 springs between 6-14lbs to the boat in 4 days , 50 50 mix bag of clipped , sweet chrome n red , my fav salmon eaters , bar none , inshore this time , close ta home : )
3 weeks ago , it was hot for us and the Mills boys too...

will be out one more time before the derby ,,,

fd

Right on FD. Great report!:)

Any sites with derby weigh in history? How big are the average fish that time of year - how about the winner? What does everyone do for accommodation? Anyone freeze their butt off in a tent? Can't imagine tenting there in march is too enjoyable.

Can you trailer in or do most people run up he inlet? Might be interested in giving this one a try.

http://www.poettnook.com/welcome.html

camping and moorage is free , its kinda a hardcore derby , not for everyone , weather can be ??? ive been doin this derby for many years now , always a BLAST ,
highy recomend it , no i would not sleep in a tent , you may wake up in Pachena one mornin lol , ya just never know the weather that time of year , I ve fished in a t-shirt , fished in the snow , seen waves build ta 6-7 feet in 20 minutes right outside the nook , WILD , but , on average , the weather gods always seem ta come through for this derby , MAJOR prizes , everyone gos home with somthing , alotta laughter for sure , definitely a great derby ta check out , get the blood flowin for the up comin season thats always just around the corner..

average fish that time of year are 8 - 14 lbs , the winners are usually 16 - 20 lbs , sometimes a little bigger...FISH DEEP !!
100 - 175 feet

give Marg a call at the Poett Nook office for reservations , i think the campers just pay for power , Great Deal , thats really cool of them ta do that for everyone !! dont hold me to all this , im pretty sure thats the drill ,

anyways , hope that helps,, heres the Poett link again

later

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a blast. I usually have a ski trip that weekend, but not this year. Will have to get a crew together. Anyone got pics of the event they can post?

I'll see about putting a crew together and jumping in this year also..... You got the space at your place Searun... :)

sometimes snow...sometimes not. Drove out there in 2011 and went 70 the whole way...but you could hit it with potholes and washboard the size of volkswagens. Book early and get a room in the bunkhouse...or a cabin at Mills Landing.

camping and moorage is free , its kinda a hardcore derby , not for everyone , weather can be ??? ive been doin this derby for many years now , always a BLAST ,
highy recomend it , no i would not sleep in a tent , you may wake up in Pachena one mornin lol , ya just never know the weather that time of year , I ve fished in a t-shirt , fished in the snow , seen waves build ta 6-7 feet in 20 minutes right outside the nook , WILD , but , on average , the weather gods always seem ta come through for this derby , MAJOR prizes , everyone gos home with somthing , alotta laughter for sure , definitely a great derby ta check out , get the blood flowin for the up comin season thats always just around the corner..

average fish that time of year are 8 - 14 lbs , the winners are usually 16 - 20 lbs , sometimes a little bigger...FISH DEEP !!
100 - 175 feet

give Marg a call at the Poett Nook office for reservations , i think the campers just pay for power , Great Deal , thats really cool of them ta do that for everyone !! dont hold me to all this , im pretty sure thats the drill ,

anyways , hope that helps,, heres the Poett link again

later

fd

X2 This is the reality of this weekend. I was in my Tee shirt at Milers Reef 4 years ago on this weekend, also have seen snow at Vernon bay in other years. Probably bring two trucks, one with the boat launch at Clutesi, and the other with the camping trailer at the nook. Hooktender will prolly be with us!

Great Info FogDucker and all more than true.
Anyone wanting some pics from our trips to past derbies, I can email, trying to download to this post now, but not going well. I haven't missed one since 2003. The Queen and I always run up in the boat, takes about 50-60 minutes from Port. Only once did I have a rough trip up. Usually the canal is like a mill pond. Sometimes bumpy coming back through Namint if later in the day, but thats the exception this time of year and its only about 7 miles. Lots of people trailer in, but the road can be a *****. Those coming from down south, come by way of Lake Cowichian.
As FogDucker mentioned not great tenting weather, but the Nook has a bunkhouse, 6 rooms with 4 bunks each, bar fridge and locker. Bring your own sleeping bag. There is a common cooking area with coffee pots, dishes, utensils, etc. Really enjoyed it anytime we stayed there.
Don't forget to bring your prawn and crab traps. That time of year prawning is excellent and crabs are more that happy to jump into your trap.
Hey, I just checked and the pics I uploaded came through. One just to prove we had some nice days, one year a pod of orcas came through on Sunday, We followed from Rainy Bay down past the San Jose Islets, a picture of the inlet as we were running up last year. Notice the rain on the windshield, but hey.... at least it isn't snow. One year within an hour while out fishing near the Nook we had almost 2 inches of snow on the boat. And finally a few pics of some of our catches. Notice there aren't many fish pictures. We don't go there for the fish, that's a fact.

Anyway, for anyone thinking about coming, once you do you will be hooked. I started attending with my brother in law, The third year, he couldn't make it, nor could my son so the Queen thought she would brave it. Hasn't missed a year since. See you there.

FishLifter, what do you mean You won't be there if its raining, This is Vancouver Island, it can rain anytime. Rain suits aren't optional.

Cheers from the Crew of Stress Medicine

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Trip up, millpond.jpg
    Trip up, millpond.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1834.jpg
    IMG_1834.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 170
Thanks for pics. Got any of the actual derby weigh in and the fun we can expect to get into?

I agree - don't trailer your boat on that road this time of year. Better to run down the canal.

Thanks for pics. Got any of the actual derby weigh in and the fun we can expect to get into?

And finally a few pics of some of our catches. Notice there aren't many fish pictures. We don't go there for the fish, that's a fact.

Cheers from the Crew of Stress Medicine

see above lol

last year was my first and I am looking forward very much to starting off the year in the same fashion @ the Nook. Can't Wait!!

Never been able to make it.:( Every year the derby would conflict with a ski trip so I'm looking forward to the fun and games we can stir up out there. I have a feeling we better bring along some tylenol to ward off the morning fog. Fish are optional, fireball and cold beer chaser is not. :)

Searun, best I can do are a few shots of all the boats in the marina during one of the closing ceremonies. These were 2007.

Attachments

• stress medicine3 014.jpg
    stress medicine3 014.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 168
  • stress medicine3 015.jpg
    stress medicine3 015.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 173
Back