2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

Caught this 14.5 winter nook between the Pink Palace and Cap river in West Van. Dragging off the bottom at 95 feet using a spoon. This was in February but thought I'd post it. Also had some luck near the Langdale ferry dock, but mostly undersized. (and a sole:) )

Attachments

• P1000691.jpg
    P1000691.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 160
Nice fish stones!

I was out on Friday from 8-2:00pm. Not a single hit. Fished white hootchies and spoons at 98' in 100'-105' of water. Dragged bottom a few times, but just kept working the gear up and down. Good thing my family doesn't depend on my fishing abilities to live on. They would have starved a long time ago. But I had fun out there. That's the whole point of it anyways. Right? Man was it ever raining out there on Friday. I'll be out on Sunday this week trying to change my luck. One of these days I'm gonna catch one!

Thanks Tulameentrapper. I was actually suprised that I caught that fish! I had no idea of a winter chinook fishery until a friend,Bon Chovy guide, Jason Assonitis, mentioned it to me in January. He offered me a free trip, but I was so happy I paid regardless. I wish I had a boat sooooo bad! I am completely itching to get back out there. (it was cold but if you prepare right, no issues). As for family relying on fish... I must have the only family who doesn't want me to bring any more salmon home :eek: Apparently my freezer supply is still quite plentiful :p

PS.. good luck Sunday, will you be dropping any traps for prawn or crab? That might keep the family quiet if you have trouble with the salmon :eek:

Nice fish stones!

I was out on Friday from 8-2:00pm. Not a single hit. Fished white hootchies and spoons at 98' in 100'-105' of water. Dragged bottom a few times, but just kept working the gear up and down. Good thing my family doesn't depend on my fishing abilities to live on. They would have starved a long time ago. But I had fun out there. That's the whole point of it anyways. Right? Man was it ever raining out there on Friday. I'll be out on Sunday this week trying to change my luck. One of these days I'm gonna catch one!

I haven't got prawn or crab traps yet. Bought the boat in November and have been spending the money on it getting it rigged out for fishing. The wife wants prawns. So I guess I'll have to buy some traps and get started. The guy I bought the boat from has a bunch of marks on the GPS he left with the boat. I'm assuming they are prawn spots, as I've went by the spots and there are quite a few traps out. Pretty deep water too. Over 200'. I'll need a puller as well, because my back will not allow me to pull that kind of weight from that depth. Unless I take out an unsuspecting guest......

I suggest passage island just west of lighthouse park for the prawns. (east side)

If you ever need "puller"for the prawn trap, or any other help on your boat, let me know. I am always up for a fishing trip around the vancouver area:)

I did see quite a few traps near passage. I got tired of not catching any fish, so went for a rip up to Horseshoe Bay. Saw a bunch of traps right outside on the big wall that goes up to the sea to sky hwy. It was deep there. Around 300'. I assume they were prawn traps as well? I might take you up on the offer to fish with me, stones. I work 4 days a week and get every Friday off. I'm usually flying solo Fridays because it appears not many people have a cool schedule like myself. And no, I'm not a teacher. I actually work less than a teacher. Gotta love union jobs!!! If you're ever up for a Friday fish, let me know. Heck, if anybody wants to come out on Friday, let me know. I'm usually out every other Friday. The next Friday trip will most likely be the 23rd, seeing as I just went out.

Tulameen, I am a VP of a mining exploration compay. My scheduel is quite flexible. I can alway make scheduel adjustments for "meetings". lol March is usually my busiest month but anytime after that, feel free to give me a dingle.

Cheers,

Brad

Thanks Tulameentrapper. I was actually suprised that I caught that fish! I had no idea of a winter chinook fishery until a friend,Bon Chovy guide, Jason Assonitis, mentioned it to me in January. He offered me a free trip, but I was so happy I paid regardless. I wish I had a boat sooooo bad! I am completely itching to get back out there. (it was cold but if you prepare right, no issues). As for family relying on fish... I must have the only family who doesn't want me to bring any more salmon home :eek: Apparently my freezer supply is still quite plentiful :p

PS.. good luck Sunday, will you be dropping any traps for prawn or crab? That might keep the family quiet if you have trouble with the salmon :eek:

Yep, nice fish there Stone. I was guiding on one of the other boats off the dock that day and saw you guys get that one. Don't be surprised....there are a few of those nice sized fish that we haul out of there.

Not to mention that the winter springs are the best da$n tasing fish EVER!!! I didn't see many other boats that day, so now I have to guess who you are:) How did you make out that day?

Tulameen, I am a VP of a mining exploration compay. My scheduel is quite flexible. I can alway make scheduel adjustments for "meetings". lol March is usually my busiest month but anytime after that, feel free to give me a dingle.

Cheers,

Brad

Will do stones. I love fishing with new guys. Always willing to listen and learn from more experienced fisherman than me. I also like to pass on my knowledge of freshwater chironomid fishing as well. Been doing that for many years. Still learning the saltwater side of things. I'll pm you when I know I'm going out. If you can make it, cool. If not, I'll try again next time.

Chris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds great!

Will do stones. I love fishing with new guys. Always willing to listen and learn from more experienced fisherman than me. I also like to pass on my knowledge of freshwater chironomid fishing as well. Been doing that for many years. Still learning the saltwater side of things. I'll pm you when I know I'm going out. If you can make it, cool. If not, I'll try again next time.

Chris.

Cheers,

Brad
VP for a minning company...perhaps I could interest you in a Gold Mine in Colombia??

ran out sunday from gibsons to cotton point
only to find the bilge pump not working proper so stared to head back in
then she decides to work and pump out the 3" of water that had collect in the guts...lol
by this time i thought i'll head over to grace / twin isle but was picking up to windy so tacked back to gibsons to affix a new secondary manual pump on the boat.

VP for a minning company...perhaps I could interest you in a Gold Mine in Colombia??

Sammy, we pretty much stay in North America, but I have many contacts that would be willing to give the data a look. Feel free to PM me with a few details.

Ahh keep yer eye on sammy as he will sell you lotsa differnt stuff, good one sammy.
Let us all know when you find the mysterious FM.

Getbent...

see yah on the water...soon

Fished Sunday from 9 to 3. 1 undersize to the boat and lost about a 10 lber beside the boat. It hit right after I put my gear down and I didn't have the net or gaff within reach. I backed up towards the opposite side of the boat and when I leaned back to grab the gaff, the line got a bit of slack and the hook popped out. Lesson learned. Next time all my landing gear will be ready before I put the gear down. Especially when fishing solo. If I had a partner in the boat, would have been an easy net. But he did put a good a fight. Peeled a little line off. Even though I didn't land him, I had fun fighting him. It was a beautiful day out there. Not much wind and flat water.

Tulameen, were you by the mouth of the Cap or further up (pink palace or lighthouse?) Just wondering. To bad about loosing that "drop in" fish.

I was fishing from the mouth to about halfway between QB and the lighthouse. Got 1 undersize fish just west of the pink apartment and the one I lost was in between the mouth and the pink place. The water was about 120' and I had the riggers down around 115'. Took it clean off the clip and started peeling line. Never tried to land a salmon solo. I can see I need practice. Guess I'll have to go out this weekend again.

Hey Tulameen,
what were you in? I was out from 8-1 approx had nothing, Damnfish in the commander had 7 in 3 hours, only 3 of size.
he credits it to his new side/downscan
Tim

Back