2012 Vancouver, Howe sound and Sunshine coast reports thread

heading out wednesday for a prawn and fish, will report back..
Let us know how things are out there. Working on getting the boat ready for the year and cleaning up the gear.
Good Luck

Battled our way through the high winds yesterday morning in Howe Sound. Fished for about 6 hours, but only hit a couple of bottom fish. Did get some prawns and a couple crabs though. The herring have been spawning heavily in Howe Sound, which is a good sign.

gambier/grace area should produce for you

Fish 2 hours before and after the tide change,around the anchored ships.I always used Anchovie at gear depth of 150ft.Find that 175ft hole and work it!! Very rarely got skunked.March and April was the best.......WILDWEST

Ill give it a whirl, thanks for the tip gidyup. Never fished the area.. Flashers and spoons on bottom just like the winter chinook fishing in the harbor??

Cheers

Ill give it a whirl, thanks for the tip gidyup. Never fished the area.. Flashers and spoons on bottom just like the winter chinook fishing in the harbor??

Cheers

Bucktails on the surface trolled very very fast.

Bucktails on the surface trolled very very fast.
20+ mph should do it and into the wind and spray too.:D
I fish it the same as the harbor Nick, just follow the contour lines and watch out for the reef area up around the twins

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucktails work great for big trout and also great for coho some people fish them in there prop wash!!!

Pick some water and give 'er a shot Demco. Things are a little different this winter for whatever reason. Some of the same ol' same ol' is working..but I think there are some better opportunities to be found if you get creative.

For Cap mouth to the pink apt I drop my balls right to the bottom till they hit then lift em up 5 feet or so, usually have on a glo green flasher and a glow green coyote or a cop car on a 5-6' leader with 30-50lb test leader, keep an eye on the rods and riggers you'll be hitting bottom lots pull her up a couple and set them back down when needed, just keep working the gear and you'll hit eventually, I usually try to stay around the 100' mark if I can
good luck , may see you out there
Tim

That must be hard on your balls.

only ended up putting a couple hours with the rods down from 1030am until 1230am at hole-in-the-wall. Not even a sniff on the spoons, no crab but got a decent haul of prawns.. Glad I went out as it was dumping snow in ubc when I woke up, ended up getting some nice sun breaking through the clouds and awesome backdrops with a fresh winter's blanket on the mountains.

hopefully it clears up this weekend and I can get a good troll in the freighters to try and find some winter chrome.

I'll probably be out there on Saturday. Just got the OK from the wife! A little rain never hurt anybody. As long as the winds are OK, I'll be there.

Anyone going fishing tomorrow , going to drop traps and then try for a winter on the ebb tide.

Back