2012 TUNA trips

The last couple of shots I've looked at on Terrafin are killing me. Yesterday's chloro shot that just came on line looks awesome. Anyone been out off Winter Harbor yet?

I heard another 2 boats were out yesterday. Low numbers but quality. The charts look good but this big NW wind forecast could do a number on it. We'll see. I am canning smoked tuna as I post!!

I heard another 2 boats were out yesterday. Low numbers but quality. The charts look good but this big NW wind forecast could do a number on it. We'll see. I am canning smoked tuna as I post!!
Yup, 1 Had 3 and the otheR got 5

Coming back from swiftsure Tuesday we passed a commercial boat "westerly" and it sure looked like they were pulling tuna gear. Never seen that before.

Firelight: when the tuna boats head out they will set their gear up well before reaching the grounds to get it all running properly. When a bite comes on, you want those jigs getting past each other tangle free. Also, some will occasionally pick up a coho for dinner.

While the weather has been spectacular for fishing the weather forecast has been too threatening for far off shore excursions. I have been puttering in the shop and found a way to make a nice cheap tuna rig. The Daisy chain. I found some 5$ packs of hoochies, clear white and clear green.
IMGP1217.jpg

Basicaly the idea is to have a string of hoochies starting at 2 feet behind your splash boat of choice. Space the 4 or 5 hoochies 16 to 18 inches apart securing each one in its position using a bead and a crimp. I put these on 200lbs test.
IMGP1212.jpg

At the end of the chain of 4 or 5 hoochies crimp off and eye with a swivel so that you can change the leader for the hoochie with the hook.
IMGP1210.jpg

Doing this give you the opportunity to change that last hoochie and the leaders get trashed after a few fish are caught. On one of mine I used 5 white cheap 5$ hoochies and used an extra yummy splatter glow turd on the hook at the end.
IMGP1213.jpg

There was some fish caught on these on our last trip.

Another important item for these is some bullet weights or slip weights. I did do some weighting of the daisy chains with some small slip weights.
IMGP1219.jpg

very cool thread. always wanted to do tuna offshore in BC but i dont have the boat. its quite a warm year so far. friend of mine has been saying the water just outside of nootka is nearly 60F... think they would travel closer to shore if it gets any warmer? i know the mackerel have already showed up in sizable numbers.

Those look great Birdsnest. Thanks for the detailed photos. Are you putting a slip weight in just the last lure with the hook?

For certain in the last hoochie with the hook but also in the last 1 or 2 hoochies without hooks and just regular beads in the ones in the front.

What do we think the weather is going to do for this weekend? The forecast on my navionics app has the wind calming offshore by thursday. SST still looks decent.

Nobody knows till Friday.

Nobody believes it till the lines are down.

Hey, I have been shopping for X-Raps. Which ones are being used out here? There are 2 saltwater ones. A diving one and a surface one.

Its EPERB time for me. I am looking for a Personal unit. Anybody have one they like/trust?

you want the mag 20 rapala in the blue mack and anchovy color. This plug accounts for almost half of our fish out there!

you want the mag 20 rapala in the blue mack and anchovy color. This plug accounts for almost half of our fish out there!

Thanks for that mike. Those are the diving raps.

Back